Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 11:53 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You made a claim, BACK IT UP. You said "you think" cite studies that support your claim and not strawmen arguments about desperate measures. Not all follow that axiom and you know it.

Doesn't matter who does it how. What do you need? Pictures? I am telling you from 35 years of experience. How you choose to understand it is entirely up to you. If your the one doing the hiring and the firing, what "You Think" is the ONLY thing that matters, isn't it. Maybe your confused by living in a Democracy, that a "Business" is a Democracy too. Its not. Remember, No one has to explain anything to you, if they don't want to hire you, your Personal Life can be under a Microscope, and what your potential Boss thinks, is the only thing that matters in your being hired. No studies, no proof, none of that. Its all the opinion of who counts. What you think doesn't matter if your looking for the job.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Nope, not odd at all, if your a School. You would already be a part of that Government, and don't count. . Teachers are non productive employees, as are Custodians, and secretaries and paid by Government, with very few standards to meet. You also are not paid on the work you produce, since you produce nothing. That's not even close to the same level as a Multi Million Dollar Business.

Schools, if that's what your saying, don't count as Businesses. Not even the same Planet.
1. You're wrong. We got all the notices from the feds that private companies got. Our school system had a legal team that worked on this and other issues, and on occasion, in particularly sticky situations, outside law firms were hired. Principals attended seminars with those attorneys to become aware of the regulations. And there were schools that occasionally did commit a violation, and when they did, it was so obvious. But it didn't take much intelligence -- mostly just a sense of fairness -- to work within the law.

2. The school system that I worked for before retiring this year passed a $2.6 billion dollar budget. Yes, that's billion with a B.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is reported a woman was fired from her job for making a twitter post about a another patron of a restaurant who became ill on New Year's Eve.

Hairdresser who posted a rant about a diner ruining her New Year's Eve meal by having a heart attack is FIRED from her job
Holly Jones went online to slam staff at Kilroy's Bar N' Grill in Indianapolis
She was angry waiters went to the woman's aid instead of serving her
She believed the sick woman was a 'junkie' having an overdose
However, she was a 57-year-old customer who fell ill during a meal
Manager Chris Burton said Jones's behavior was 'disgusting'
He told Daily Mail Online someone from her party called to apologize
Jones has been fired from her job at Serenity Salon as a hair stylist

Read more: Hairdresser who posted a rant about a diner ruining her NYE meal is fired | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Do you think being fired was an appropriate response to the twitter post? How far back, years, days, should a social media post be considered worthy of being fired? 5 years ago for instance?

It seems people are often being reported in the press as fired for posting to social media.

Are posters dumb to the consequences?

Why do people post controversial things to social media....things that could come back and haunt them? I am truly clueless.
Common sense is rare. Don't post anything that would raise questions about your character/you don't want your employer to know.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
I do not believe that off-duty, off-premises conduct that does not affect the employer is a valid reason to fire or otherwise discipline the employee. That includes off-duty drug or alcohol use that has no effect on the employee's job performance.

Unfortunately, in most places of employment the employer can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all, assuming the reason is not some prohibited basis, such as unlawful discrimination.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. You're wrong. We got all the notices from the feds that private companies got. Our school system had a legal team that worked on this and other issues, and on occasion, in particularly sticky situations, outside law firms were hired. Principals attended seminars with those attorneys to become aware of the regulations. And there were schools that occasionally did commit a violation, and when they did, it was so obvious. But it didn't take much intelligence -- mostly just a sense of fairness -- to work within the law.

2. The school system that I worked for before retiring this year passed a $2.6 billion dollar budget. Yes, that's billion with a B.

That's funny. Your actually making my argument for me. You just told me that "Regulations" by Government that sets the Laws, and that you spend a heck of a lot more on conforming to these Laws, including Legal Teams, Private Law Firms, and Attendance to Seminars, which the Taxpayer also pays for.
You are given Laws that you have to conform to, that limit what you can do to improve your performance, by Government, instead of being able to do what you know works. Your an entity that's not allowed to discipline in what works, but have to do as told. That's Government sticking its nose where it does not belong. That's what you claim you don't have, when the System reeks of it, as a prime example.

The School, itself, does not contribute a penny for all these expenditures, which would never fly in the Private sector. If you want an indicator, on how well our School systems perform, look at the World Scale of Education Standards, and see where you place. Its right there with some Third World Countries. Hardly a record I would be proud of. In the real World, as a Business, you would be Bankrupt and Fired for poor Performance.

Your given 2.6 Billion Dollars of Taxpayer Money to spend. How much "Profit" do you make with that? Zich, Zero, Nada. The biggest concern of School Management is how much more money they can get for doing less, yet produce nothing or add anything to the economy. Your School Systems are a Non Productive Liability, not an Asset.

You picked a bad example to try and compare it to Business. Thanks for making my points for me.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
That's funny. Your actually making my argument for me. You just told me that "Regulations" by Government that sets the Laws, and that you spend a heck of a lot more on conforming to these Laws, including Legal Teams, Private Law Firms, and Attendance to Seminars, which the Taxpayer also pays for.
You are given Laws that you have to conform to, that limit what you can do to improve your performance, by Government, instead of being able to do what you know works. Your an entity that's not allowed to discipline in what works, but have to do as told. That's Government sticking its nose where it does not belong. That's what you claim you don't have, when the System reeks of it, as a prime example.

The School, itself, does not contribute a penny for all these expenditures, which would never fly in the Private sector. If you want an indicator, on how well our School systems perform, look at the World Scale of Education Standards, and see where you place. Its right there with some Third World Countries. Hardly a record I would be proud of. In the real World, as a Business, you would be Bankrupt and Fired for poor Performance.

I suppose you were educated in public schools, though.

Your given 2.6 Billion Dollars of Taxpayer Money to spend. How much "Profit" do you make with that? Zich, Zero, Nada. The biggest concern of School Management is how much more money they can get for doing less, yet produce nothing or add anything to the economy. Your School Systems are a Non Productive Liability, not an Asset.

You picked a bad example to try and compare it to Business. Thanks for making my points for me.
Ah, you're one of those people who believes the only thing of value is profit, even when illegally obtained. I should have realized that's where you were coming from. It's a common misconception.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 711,715 times
Quote:

Phetaroi, you need to borrow some ointment, because you just got BURNNNNNNNNED!!!!

Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I do not believe that off-duty, off-premises conduct that does not affect the employer is a valid reason to fire or otherwise discipline the employee. That includes off-duty drug or alcohol use that has no effect on the employee's job performance.

Unfortunately, in most places of employment the employer can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all, assuming the reason is not some prohibited basis, such as unlawful discrimination.

No employee would ever think that his private life should affect his job. From the employers standpoint it certainly does, if he is a smart employer. There is no way to claim a workers performance is not affected by his private life. The reality is, that what you are is what you are, regardless of where you are, at work, or at home. It doesn't matter what you think. I never had a drunk working for me, and never had a druggy working for me. There are habits you can't turn on and off from work to home. That's why a Company has a Employee Handbook, that lays out you can or cannot do, such as Drugs, and you sign an acknowledgement to that effect, which is as valid as a contract and consent to random drug testing. In a field where Machinery, and/or equipment is used, your safety and the safety of others does not allow for sub standard performance.

An employee can be Terminated from most any Business if its a smart Business for legal reasons. There are many that can be used that can not be contested, including eliminating the Position, and reassigning the tasks to another title. That's just one of many.

Be a decent person and don't act like a Jerk, and you won't have problems. You write your own History in life, with your actions, so no need to blame anyone else.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ah, you're one of those people who believes the only thing of value is profit, even when illegally obtained. I should have realized that's where you were coming from. It's a common misconception.

Perfect response. I have no idea where I got the idea, that "Business" is conducted for "Profit."

You have "Business" confused with the School system, which is much like Charity, and has no profits, and lousy performance, legal or otherwise.

I am one of those people that give my Employer what he pays me for, and do what I need to do within the framework of the Laws, even if the Laws may be good, bad, or plain stupid.

You found out you have no legs to stand on, so now its accusations of "Illegally obtaining Profit?" How quaint. Do you Teach that? If all else fails, you deflect? That was never mentioned in any part of these exchanges. The conversation was "Employee Management" and working within what's "legal" to do, and how to use the "Tools" you are given to fit within Government regulations, in a legal manner.

Pay special attention to the word "LEGAL" that's being used.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Again, you're missing the point.

You can rant with the friend, and he can tell this to his friend, and his friend can post this on Facebook.

Even your diary can be found and spilled on the net.

Either we live in a society where we must outwardly conform to the views and actions approved by our employers at all times, or a society where personal freedom outside of work is protected - including the freedom to make stupid choices and statements, as long as they are not criminal or directly related to work.

I know what society I want to live in.
Sorry, but, again, the right to free speech protects you from the government punishing you for saying something it doesn't like. The First Amendment doesn't protect you if you say something that your boss doesn't like ... or if you're a business owner who says something that the public doesn't like. This long predates the internet BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates