Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 PM

366 posts, read 493,321 times

Advertisements

I think we should strive as a society to have a means of relatively painless suicide. I think many rationale folks might use it. I might. There really are a number of instances were it might be a very logical choice. I could think of quite a few. And I think it is the one form of liberty we could grant that is very win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For $5850 plus one-way airfare, anyone can go to Dignitas Suicide Clinic in Switzerland to end their life, and you need not be terminally ill, you may simply be depressed, a paraplegic, or for the simple fact you just lost your job and don't wish to continue on in this poor-excuse-for-a-planet! As it's been said: Death is the greatest gift you'll ever receive on Planet Earth!

And please don't say, just save the money, and do-it-yourself with a gun! Way too risky!

I've worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 14 years, and I've had 3 patients now, who failed in their attempt to blow their brains out, and, worse yet, they were left Full-Coders! When brain-dead you don't have the luxury of signing a paper indicating Do-Not-Resuscitate!

But even with a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order, Doctors oftentimes overlook them in hospitals, and even where I work, where I've seen nurses rush to a room with a crash cart to attend to someone with a DNR order to try and revive them!

The Right-to-Die movement is in its infancy in this country, and hopefully, one day, we can be as liberal as Switzerland.

Canada is more a candidate for that, given that physician-assisted suicide is now national in Canada, but not open to U.S. citizens!
Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
I think we should strive as a society to have a means of relatively painless suicide. I think many rationale folks might use it. I might. There really are a number of instances were it might be a very logical choice. I could think of quite a few. And I think it is the one form of liberty we could grant that is very win-win.
Why should society even have to consider how you want to commit suicide.
There already are an abundance of "means" for a painless suicide..
You ALREADY have the liberty to kill yourself off...( what kind of liberty is it if it's "granted").....it's very unfair to expect "society" or doctors to take that on when you don't want to yourself.
Rationale folk don't wait until they're dependent on someone else to do it for them.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:56 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why should society even have to consider how you want to commit suicide.
There already are an abundance of "means" for a painless suicide..
For an able-bodied person, yes. For many people wracked by illness, unable to feed themselves or even to use the bathroom, not at all.

Quote:
You ALREADY have the liberty to kill yourself off....it's very unfair to expect "society" or doctors to take that on when you don't want to yourself.
No, people don't have the liberty. It is against the law. Law enforcement and other agents of the state, should they become aware of a suicide attempt, will use whatever means they can to prevent the suicide from taking place.

Some people have the means. But they are not necessarily free to do so.

And... 'expect'? What nonsense. There are plenty of physicians who are willing to assist in the peaceful and willing ending of a life, just as there are physicians in any other field. These physicians aren't being coerced or put upon. You're the one demanding that this process not be available under the law. You're the one trying to control what physicians and their patients do.

Quote:
Rationale folk don't wait until they're dependent on someone else to do it for them.
'rational folk' don't think that the conditions under which a person might want to end their lives are inherently foreseeable, nor do they unreasonably demand that the procedure not be available at all times to an individuals.

You're just making all sorts of excuses to rationalize the fact that you want to put up as many obstacles as possible for people who want to end their lives.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:57 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Suicide is a selfish act.

There are no positives, communities and families are left in a position of grief and question. It is not acceptable to kill yourself in act of suicide.

A void is left in our collective consciousness, and it raises questions of our overall mental health.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Suicide is a selfish act. .
Feeling a little judgmental are we? So for example, lingering on , taking precious economic resources that could be productively employed to extend a life with no quality would be a selfish act? Interesting.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 PM

341 posts, read 265,935 times
Quote:
Suicide is a selfish act.
Why is it selfish?You personally feel its selfish?Its that person's life they get to decide if they wanna live dont put your conservative views on somebody else's life.

Quote:
There are no positives, communities and families are left in a position of grief and question. It is not acceptable to kill yourself in act of suicide.
If you had life in prison wouldnt you want to commit suicide?I know I sure would,suicide is another form of death,we all gonna die what better way to control your fate then choosing how YOU wanna do.

Quote:
A void is left in our collective consciousness, and it raises questions of our overall mental health.
How so?

Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Why is it selfish?You personally feel its selfish?Its that person's life they get to decide if they wanna live dont put your conservative views on somebody else's life.
I am puzzled? How is that a conservative view? The Government striping people of free choice seems anything but conservative to me. My way of saying, please elaborate.

Thanks...

Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
For an able-bodied person, yes. For many people wracked by illness, unable to feed themselves or even to use the bathroom, not at all.

No, people don't have the liberty. It is against the law. Law enforcement and other agents of the state, should they become aware of a suicide attempt, will use whatever means they can to prevent the suicide from taking place.

Some people have the means. But they are not necessarily free to do so.

And... 'expect'? What nonsense. There are plenty of physicians who are willing to assist in the peaceful and willing ending of a life, just as there are physicians in any other field. These physicians aren't being coerced or put upon. You're the one demanding that this process not be available under the law. You're the one trying to control what physicians and their patients do.

'rational folk' don't think that the conditions under which a person might want to end their lives are inherently foreseeable, nor do they unreasonably demand that the procedure not be available at all times to an individuals.

You're just making all sorts of excuses to rationalize the fact that you want to put up as many obstacles as possible for people who want to end their lives.
I don't need to make excuses or to rationalize the FACT that suicide is soooooo easy to commit...on your own.
ever seen an addict OD??? it's very quick and painless

The only "obstacles" to people who want to end their lives could be that they've waited too long to do it themselves and now require some help.....if that's the case..the family should deal with it themselves.
Rationale folk KNOW that life isn't forever.
If you want to blame the law for your lack of exerting the liberty that you do indeed have to kill yourself..so be it..you must not have really wanted to die. A dead man doesn't care if his suicide was legal or not.

ONCE YOU HAVE LEGALIZED VOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA ,INVOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA WILL INEVITABLY FOLLOW>

"Patients on the Oregon State Health Plan have received letters from the state saying it will not pay for the drugs that may stave off their deaths, but will fully cover assisted suicide."
In 1995 Oregon's State Health Services voted 10-1 to include physician assisted suicide as a form of [comfort care] for all low income terminally ill patients covered by Oregons Medicaid rationing program.
http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...tary-edits.pdf

I may be the one demanding that murder (euthanasia) not be available under the law....but you're the one demanding it be legal..(calling it a "process" is sickening to say the least")

Have you even considered how many people who don't want to die...will?
There's hundreds of heartbreaking stories about elderly people euthanized without consent from themselves or their families...you go to visit Grandma and they've killed her.

Ever heard the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile

Old 06-22-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If society would take a commonsense approach to euthanasia nobody would have to find anybody with their head blown off. We have more compassion for our sick pets than we do to our sick brothers and sisters.
By compassion for our pets are you talking vet assisted euthanasia????
Many of us have pets, and assist them to die (quickly and painlessly) when necessary..... WITHOUT involving a vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates