Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times

Advertisements

It's not always a chemical imbalance in the brain. Also sometimes depression cannot be cured no matter what drugs are given. Should those people not be given the advantage of ending a life that they consider unbearable?

How about a person with a terminal illness that doesn't want to suffer or be kept alive on machines? Should they not have the right to end their own suffering? Most of us don't make our pets suffer. I had to euthanize my beloved Chihuahua 11 days ago because she was getting worse and worse. I remember thinking as I left in tears that people should be able to do the same thing when their life is no longer worth living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
On the other hand, suicide because you're depressed and can't handle your obligations? That's the ultimate in selfishness. Especially if you're leaving family and loved ones behind to clean up the mess you left (both the literal mess and any psychological mess). I've suffered through multiple episodes of clinical depression lasting years at a time, including quite recently, but never once did I seriously consider an act that would permanently damage the mental well-being of my children.
If you are single and have no children it is not selfish. A person who is single and childless only has an obligation to themselves.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
"Clinical Depression" is something psychiatrists invented with the belief that we should all behave alike. If you think thoughts that are different enough from other people they want to label you as being defective. I personally don't like that approach that tries to stigmatize individuality, including suicidal inclinations. If you are gloomy person, so what? It is who you are and don't let anyone tell you that you are "sick" because of it. Yes, you are different but I think it is OK to be different and it really is nobody else's business.

But, while I believe it is a person's right to commit suicide it is also an irrevocable decision and we owe it to that person to make sure such a decision is not being made in haste or in reaction to something that will get resolved over time, for instance. But I think society needs to stop stigmatizing suicide.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:01 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
"Clinical Depression" is something psychiatrists invented with the belief that we should all behave alike. If you think thoughts that are different enough from other people they want to label you as being defective. I personally don't like that approach that tries to stigmatize individuality, including suicidal inclinations. If you are gloomy person, so what? It is who you are and don't let anyone tell you that you are "sick" because of it. Yes, you are different but I think it is OK to be different and it really is nobody else's business.

But, while I believe it is a person's right to commit suicide it is also an irrevocable decision and we owe it to that person to make sure such a decision is not being made in haste or in reaction to something that will get resolved over time, for instance. But I think society needs to stop stigmatizing suicide.
I have a real problem with political correctness. I believe that doctors should be allowed to encourage some beliefs and actions as sick.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I understand most suicidal people are depressed and are not said to be in a state of "rational" thinking. But what about for those who have gone through advanced treatment and do not feel any better or nihilist; misanthropists who see no point.

Why should someone be forced to live in a life they never chose just not to distress their family or friends. Why is not wanting to do anything with life considered taking the "cowards way out". Surely if you have the right to life you must have the right to death? And what if it is the cowardly; How is that a bad thing?

If one is forced to live doesn't that make human life a trap? One where the belief that living is noble is forced upon others for the sake of keeping them alive.

Evolution would say that most humans hate suicide because we have a "survival instinct" and as a pack animal we don't like seeing other members of the race die out since it decreases societies reproductive capability... But we are in the 21st century. We can overcome that. We are thinking animals too.
Well, I'm religious, so I view suicide from a religious perspective. I believe that people who commit suicide, go to hell. Some might deny it til they're blue in the face but, there have been stories of clinically dead people who came back from their own suicide and their stories weren't pretty.

In the grand picture, we're only alive for a cup of tea. Why not make the most of it?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I understand most suicidal people are depressed and are not said to be in a state of "rational" thinking. But what about for those who have gone through advanced treatment and do not feel any better or nihilist; misanthropists who see no point.

Why should someone be forced to live in a life they never chose just not to distress their family or friends. Why is not wanting to do anything with life considered taking the "cowards way out". Surely if you have the right to life you must have the right to death? And what if it is the cowardly; How is that a bad thing?

If one is forced to live doesn't that make human life a trap? One where the belief that living is noble is forced upon others for the sake of keeping them alive.

Evolution would say that most humans hate suicide because we have a "survival instinct" and as a pack animal we don't like seeing other members of the race die out since it decreases societies reproductive capability... But we are in the 21st century. We can overcome that. We are thinking animals too.
They probably prescribe to the concept that life is sacred. Personally I don't care.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 AM

341 posts, read 265,935 times
Suicide is one's decision to end their life,i personally think in some cases life isnt worth living for example imagine having a life sentence in prison is that life worth living?HELL NO..

Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
My dear Dad died from ALS and my beloved Mom from Alzheimers. I have no kids and my H predeceased me. If I get either of these diseases and get to the point where I am dependent on others, I would like to have the option to end my life with dignity before I end up choking to death or being mental oatmeal.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:04 PM

341 posts, read 265,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I don't care what anyone says. It's my life. I'll end if and when I chose to do so. The reasons will not be obvious to family members who pretend to give a @#$% but really don't.

I refuse to enter a nursing home someday. Why should I when I consider my life over at that point? Look at what old people do to themselves by agreeing to live out their years in such a place.

Taking one's own life isn't "weakness" or "cowardly". It comes from the strong who have grown tired of fighting a battle we can't comprehend. People call suicides weak because it eases their self-imposed guilt.
Agree!!!And heck many are scared to commit suicide so who's the coward?One example is my cousin Robbed only 800 bucks! Rewards: police brutality, depression, no friends, no family, no hope, no suicide, no privacy, raped, beaten, shamed, slamed, kicked, stabbed, robbed, choked, donkey punched, and etc. it's always better to die trying to escape than being sent to a hell hole.Suicide be WAY better option then to be in prison or some cage.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If I get either of these diseases and get to the point where I am dependent on others, I would like to have the option to end my life with dignity before I end up choking to death or being mental oatmeal.
So don't let it get to the point where you are dependent on others.
You can end your life with dignity any time you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates