Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,958 times

Advertisements

Why do you think some minorities come to this country and are successful in a short time despite great hatred towards them while others are not?

My best guess is they band together for strength before becoming part of the mainstream.

Part II:

Have minorities coming to this country in the past tried harder then some of those do today? Or has the focus changed or just our perspective?

Growing up it seemed the minorities I came in contact made efforts to assimilate and or speak the language (or at least their kids did). Now, especially in parts of LA Mexicans come here and set up areas without seemingly wanting to interact outside of those communities. Which makes little sense to me since presumably they left for the opportunities America affords, yet they've created little slices of what they left. Seems like a lot of effort to go to for a change in scenery/weather.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:07 AM

671 posts, read 854,689 times
It is actually the opposite, some of the most successful minorities- Nigerians and Indians are good example for non-Europeans- hold very tightly to their culture and their traditions and pass all of their culture on to the children and grandchildren born in the USA.

One dose not have to abandon his culture to prosper in the USA.

It should also be noted, however, that most of these immigrants are not "average" people or "lower class" people from these countries. You have a skewed representation because the cream of the crop and/or very motivated people are migrating and representing the entire nation. This is very different compared to immigrants from closer countries or from poorer countries.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:08 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
^^^^^^
So true, many people keep asking me why Nigerians are so smart but to be honest besides the visa lottery to even qualify for U.S citizenship only people in the top 10 or 20% of the country in terms of wealth and education can migrate to the U.S, here in Nigeria their are so many people who haven't stepped a foot in secondary school (High School).

Old 07-18-2016, 06:27 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
You are confusing "minority" with "immigrant". Lots of minorities are 100% "American"; they were born and raised here for 3+ generations. And many immigrants are officially "white" (i.e., not a minority) even though they speak with a funny accent and worship a different deity.

Success in this country requires a combination of hard work, intelligence, common sense, luck, and a network for assistance (family, church, community, etc.). At least three are required for real success, preferably four.

So the immigrant family who works hard, is smart enough to handle money, has enough common sense to see trends and avoid traps, and has a network to help, will succeed. Miss one of those and success is possible but harder. Miss two and success will likely not happen.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Success in this country requires a combination of hard work, intelligence, common sense, luck, and a network for assistance (family, church, community, etc.). At least three are required for real success, preferably four.

So the immigrant family who works hard, is smart enough to handle money, has enough common sense to see trends and avoid traps, and has a network to help, will succeed. Miss one of those and success is possible but harder. Miss two and success will likely not happen.
I think that intelligence and hard work are really all that is required for economic success. There is a strong correlation between educational attainment level and lifetime earnings in America.

The other factors you mentioned are helpful, but they're just icing on the cake. Not the elephant in the room.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 AM

379 posts, read 255,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Why do you think some minorities come to this country and are successful in a short time despite great hatred towards them while others are not?

My best guess is they band together for strength before becoming part of the mainstream.

Part II:

Have minorities coming to this country in the past tried harder then some of those do today? Or has the focus changed or just our perspective?

Growing up it seemed the minorities I came in contact made efforts to assimilate and or speak the language (or at least their kids did). Now, especially in parts of LA Mexicans come here and set up areas without seemingly wanting to interact outside of those communities. Which makes little sense to me since presumably they left for the opportunities America affords, yet they've created little slices of what they left. Seems like a lot of effort to go to for a change in scenery/weather.
Because races differ biologically, and thereby some are better able to do some things than other races collectively.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 AM

379 posts, read 255,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think that intelligence and hard work are really all that is required for economic success. There is a strong correlation between educational attainment level and lifetime earnings in America.

The other factors you mentioned are helpful, but they're just icing on the cake. Not the elephant in the room.
Education, education, education. Sure it helps, but when it comes to group dynamics, some groups are simply better, despite the amount of education received by its individuals. Additionally, intelligence, discipline, assiduousness, and foresight differ amongst the different species of man. Yet people seem to exclaim and exclaim that every group, collectively, can turn out just like the next group, provided there is enough "understanding", "sensitivity", adequate nutrition, training, guidance, "upbringing", and education provided.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Not true. Intelligence is simply the ability to learn new things. You also must have the ability to use what you learned in an applied way, which is where common sense comes in. Or else you must have someone to help you do this (network) or get really really lucky. History is full of highly intelligent people who worked hard and invented or created something spectacular, but who died poor becasue they didn't have the ability to capitalize on what they created.

Or look to research labs where highly intelligent people slave away (working hard) but never get rich or get the chance to own what they create.

It requires at least three of the items I listed.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
As a kid I watched the Japanese here police them selves and see to it the children of their nationality were well behaved they have honor, not just their own children.
they made it clear that each of them represent the whole and it made life worse for every one I they didn't behave.
I never saw Japanese people in trouble ever during that whole time.
There is so much disrespect in the black community toward their parents they have no honor to protect and thus no authority to police. How do you respect a man that is selfish and chasing off after other women ,or women the lie to their husbands .
The exception to the rule are those whom have some honor and respect in their families. these are successful and responsible people. it had nothing to do with money , it has to do with earned (NOT DEMANDED) respect and honesty and accountability, and reliability .

Old 07-18-2016, 08:08 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
For some reason your question OP made me think to back in the day when the Irish were immigrating in droves to escape the famine and other things. They were really looked down apon by many people due to their rough house ways and propensity to drink. Being Catholic also didn't help matters .
Due to the majorities concern and worries about problems the Irish were lumped with another minority group and excluded from business and jobs with signs that read "No Blacks and No Irish". Talk about discrimination.

Fast forward to today and the Irish still have the rough and ready to drink stigma but they are also sought after around the world as hard working, skilled and honest people.

When it comes down to success in America is it due to the people themselves fitting in to society or acceptance by society as a whole. The Irish have gotten past their stigmas but it seems that black folk are still trying to break that stereotypical mold and the BLM crowd is not helping.

Positive actions, acceptance and time equals success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates