Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No. You are inferring things that I have not asserted and which I have more than once explained to you that I am not saying.

You do this due to an agenda and due to your problem with reading comprehension.

I cited the US Census Bureau... statistics published during the term of 0bama's admin. Don't tell me about bias... LOL!

Tell me why I should continue to waste time with you.
Perhaps part of the problem with so many of us criticizing your posts is that overall they give a certain impression.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps part of the problem with so many of us criticizing your posts is that overall they give a certain impression.
Perhaps many of you only see what you are looking for and not what is actually there?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
1. And people see what you folks are up to as well.
Hypocrisy.

You will go on and chastise me for generalising, as you generalise and lump me in with those other "folks".

Quote:
Yes, facts are facts.
Yes. Facts are facts. Even when they make you uncomfortable.

Quote:
But to trot out the same stats multiple times per week is not necessary.
Why is it not necessary? Apparently, you folks (see, I can generalise, too) are still arguing against the facts. You know that arguing against facts is not a winning approach?

Quote:
You're not the one most guilty of this, but you play the game, as well.
Why should anyone be deemed guilty of posting facts? What an odd thing?

Quote:
Frankly, we all pretty much know the basics of the stats, and what we are saying is that people are more important than stats.
Rubbish.

Yes, of course people are important. But, when the topic of the discussion requires a comparison and contrast of various minority populations, then actually, individual anecdotal examples are useless, except to those idiots who believe that character and intelligence are a function of race and or ethnicity.

It is not possible to discuss this topic without generalising.

Quote:
2. I don't know what you do for a living, but there are tons of people more successful than you. Why? Shall we go the stats? Or shall we look at you as an individual?
Who cares? My individual success or lack thereof is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Of course some people are more successful than I am, regardless even of how we define success.

But, so what? The topic of this thread is not a comparison and contrast of various individuals.

Quote:
3. If I saw a post or two of yours that seemed to lean too heavily on the stats issue, then I'd not make any real judgement. But it isn't one or two posts or even one or two threads when you fairly consistently jump to the stats card. I don't see you stating stats about middle class Black neighborhoods, such as a number of neighborhoods in Prince Georges and Montgomery County, Maryland, or many of the middle class Black neighborhoods in and around Atlanta. No, it's always the inner city stats.
Again, those successful middle class black families and communities are important to this present discussion only to the extent that they raise the average for the entire sub-set of the minority population made up of ALL black people in America.

I'm delighted that many black people are successful, and never have I denied the existence of successful blacks. But, we are discussing entire minority populations, not merely a sub-set of the black population. By the same token, when I discuss, for instance, the Vietnamese population in the US, I look at the entire population in general, even though I know that there are problems in that community, particularly a high incidence of gang activity. But, in general, the Vietnamese are doing relatively well.

Quote:
4. No, I'm not closing my eyes. I simply do not accept your view of our nation, your view of Blacks in America, or your view of minorities in America. And while stats are not irrelevant, I base my views on my own interactions with Black students and parents and the general public in and around Washington, D.C. over 30 years of living there.
1. You have no idea what I think of black America or any minority population or of whites in America.

2. AGAIN, basing your opinion of your own anecdotal experiences is not a particularly meaningful way to see the big picture, so to speak. I don't need to explain why this is so, do I?

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 07-31-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 12:43 PM

[quote=Salmonburgher;44960787]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
1. And people see what you folks are up to as well.

Hypocrisy.

You will go on and chastise me for generalising, as you generalise and lump me in with those other "folks".

Quote:
Yes, facts are facts.

Yes. Facts are facts. Even when they make you uncomfortable.

Quote:
But to trot out the same stats multiple times per week is not necessary.

Why is it not necessary? Apparently, you folks (see, I can generalise, too) are still arguing against the facts. You know that arguing against facts is not a winning approach?

Quote:
You're not the one most guilty of this, but you play the game, as well.

Why should anyone be deemed guilty of posting facts? What an odd thing?

Quote:
Frankly, we all pretty much know the basics of the stats, and what we are saying is that people are more important than stats.

Rubbish.

Yes, of course people are important. But, when the topic of the discussion requires a comparison and contrast of various minority populations, then actually, individual anecdotal examples are useless, except to those idiots who believe that character and intelligence are a function of race and or ethnicity.

It is not possible to discuss this topic without generalising.

Quote:
2. I don't know what you do for a living, but there are tons of people more successful than you. Why? Shall we go the stats? Or shall we look at you as an individual?

Who cares? My individual success or lack thereof is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Of course some people are more successful than I am, regardless even of how we define success.

But, so what? The topic of this thread is not a comparison and contrast of various individuals.

Quote:
3. If I saw a post or two of yours that seemed to lean too heavily on the stats issue, then I'd not make any real judgement. But it isn't one or two posts or even one or two threads when you fairly consistently jump to the stats card. I don't see you stating stats about middle class Black neighborhoods, such as a number of neighborhoods in Prince Georges and Montgomery County, Maryland, or many of the middle class Black neighborhoods in and around Atlanta. No, it's always the inner city stats.

Again, those successful middle class black families and communities are important to this present discussion only to the extent that they raise the average for the entire sub-set of the minority population made up of ALL black people in America.

I'm delighted that many black people are successful, and never have I denied the existence of successful blacks. But, we are discussing entire minority populations, not merely a sub-set of the black population. By the same token, when I discuss, for instance, the Vietnamese population in the US, I look at the entire population in general, even though I know that there are problems in that community, particularly a high incidence of gang activity. But, in general, the Vietnamese are doing relatively well.

Quote:
4. No, I'm not closing my eyes. I simply do not accept your view of our nation, your view of Blacks in America, or your view of minorities in America. And while stats are not irrelevant, I base my views on my own interactions with Black students and parents and the general public in and around Washington, D.C. over 30 years of living there.

1. You have no idea what I think of black America or any minority population or of whites in America.

2. AGAIN, basing your opinion of your own anecdotal experiences is not a particularly meaningful way to see the big picture, so to speak. I don't need to explain why this is so, do I?

Response:

The reason that it is not necessary to continually and repeatedly post the same old stats is that we've seen them every week, multiple times and we get the point you and others are making -- that Blacks have inferior behavior.

No, it's not facts that make me uncomfortable, it's the subtle racism (let alone overt racism) of so many posters on this forum who continuously see the need to put Black people down.

Stats, which I often used in my profession are tricky things. Simply phrase a question in a survey differently and you get totally different sets of stats. Stats are a part of the story. A small part. And in the case of City-Data radical right posters, stats are used as a club (as in bludgeon) to pound the you're inferior concept into the psyche of Blacks.

No one is guilty for posting fair stats, but one can be guilty for posting facts for ulterior motives.

I said people are more important than stats, and you replied "Rubbish". I don't think I even need to expand on what that says about you.

But when you talked about the success of the Vietnamese, you never mentioned the Vietnamese gang problem...until now. How convenient to leave out the balancing information.

Yes, I criticize you for generalizing because I don't think it's necessary for people like you to continually generalize about your perspective that Black behavior is substandard, which tarnishes every Black person. Rather than repeatedly post such implications behind the anonymous safety of your keyboard, why don't you go out into the inner city closest to you and tell your opinions with your statistics to those you're talking about and tell them how they should lead their lives?

There are people who uplift.
There are people who tear down.

Last edited by phetaroi; 07-31-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
No, it's not facts that make me uncomfortable, it's the subtle racism (let alone overt racism) of so many posters on this forum who continuously see the need to put Black people down.
Posting facts regarding behaviour is NOT racist, subtle or overt, unless there is an assertion that such behaviour is a function of race.

Its that simple.

Quote:
Stats, which I often used in my profession are tricky things. Simply phrase a question in a survey differently and you get totally different sets of stats. Stats are a part of the story. A small part. And in the case of City-Data radical right posters, stats are used as a club (as in bludgeon) to pound the you're inferior concept into the psyche of Blacks.
1. Yes, most people understand that stats can be used (or abused) and manipulated. However, when the stats are plainly presented to counter a false narrative, such as that cops are out hunting black men, then the stats are valuable and provide a realistic picture of what in fact is going on.

2. I don't believe that people use stats to bludgeon anyone. Rather, stats are used to show that some narratives are false or highly misleading. I think that is a fair use of facts and stats. I don't think blacks are inferior.

Quote:
No one is guilty for posting fair stats, but one can be guilty for posting facts for ulterior motives.
Paranoid.

Quote:
I said people are more important than stats, and you replied "Rubbish". I don't think I even need to expand on what that says about you.
Actually, it illustrates your poor reading comprehension. My "Rubbish" comment was directed at your repeated assertion that generalising was counter-productive. Immediately after my "Rubbish" remark, I stated "Yes, of course people are important".

Quote:
But when you talked about the success of the Vietnamese, you never mentioned the Vietnamese gang problem...until now. How convenient to leave out the balancing information.
Good god, are you being intentionally obtuse? I've explained several times the reason for generalising in this topic.

Quote:
Yes, I criticize you for generalizing because I don't think it's necessary for people like you to continually generalize about your perspective that Black behavior is substandard, which tarnishes every Black person.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think the black community needs to step up. You don't want to hear/listen to criticisms from outside the community, and apparently you don't like hearing criticisms from conservative blacks (aka Uncle Toms)... If such criticisms tarnish every black person (I don't actually buy that), then successful blacks need to start pushing a different agenda within the community.

Quote:
Rather than repeatedly post such implications behind the anonymous safety of your keyboard, why don't you go out into the inner city closest to you and tell your opinions with your statistics to those you're talking about and tell them how they should lead their lives?
Would anyone listen?

I live in a nation with virtually no welfare and with virtually no out-of-wedlock childbirth... People where I live are dependent upon themselves and their families.

And that sort of dovetails with the topic of this discussion, doesn't it?

Quote:
There are people who uplift.
There are people who tear down.
And there are people who enable and make excuses.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Would anyone listen?

Well, if no one in the community being denigrated with data will listen...oh forget it. I will end my back and forth with you by just saying I stand by my critique of your intentions. Post your data. Make yourself feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Well, if no one in the community being denigrated with data will listen...oh forget it.
Data is neutral. It doesn't denigrate anyone. Its just there to be observed, and hopefully, if need be, acted upon.

Quote:
I will end my back and forth with you by just saying I stand by my critique of your intentions.
You stand in error.

Quote:
Post your data. Make yourself feel warm and fuzzy.
Like I said, data is neutral. Facts. You look at the data and the facts and you consider your notions. If the data and facts do not support your notions, it may be a good idea to reconsider things.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Data is neutral. It doesn't denigrate anyone. Its just there to be observed, and hopefully, if need be, acted upon.

You stand in error.

Like I said, data is neutral. Facts. You look at the data and the facts and you consider your notions. If the data and facts do not support your notions, it may be a good idea to reconsider things.

On the other hand:

Quote:
The old saying is that “figures will not lie,” but a new saying is “liars will figure.”
-- Carroll D. Wright

Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
On the other hand:
There is no other hand.

There are facts.

Tough luck if the facts make you uncomfortable. That's your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates