Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 AM

469 posts, read 549,893 times

Advertisements

As a black American I always chuckle at these pro immigrant anti black American threads and post. Riddle me this if these groups are s culturally and intellectually superior then why is this conversation happening in the US and not Nigeria, or New Dehli, or Beijing? Why havent these hard working intellegent cultures translated into a productive and functioinal country in which they were born? If all this praise were true there would be no need to immigrate in the first place

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
As a black American I always chuckle at these pro immigrant anti black American threads and post. Riddle me this if these groups are s culturally and intellectually superior then why is this conversation happening in the US and not Nigeria, or New Dehli, or Beijing? Why havent these hard working intellegent cultures translated into a productive and functioinal country in which they were born? If all this praise were true there would be no need to immigrate in the first place
Because here in the US we have a country of laws, constitutionally-protected political and property rights and stability. Further, democracy has always, more or less, worked, and corruption is less than the in "third-world". So these people come here where they can profit from their talents. In my area we have many immigrants from Haiti and I see them prosper and wonder why Haiti has so many problems. But the political and economic situation of their native country is, unfortunately, dysfunctional, and limits their opportunities.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:22 AM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post

My parents are from Soviet Russia, and they not only received some of the best schooling in the world, but they also went to one of the most prestigious universities in the world, and the USSR Government actually PAYED them to go, as did all other citizens. In Soviet Russia, every student was payed the equivalent of about $1000-2000 in today's money per month. This covered all rent, food, tuition, and left each student with a little extra spending money in the end.
Interesting, because as of 2016 8 out of of 10 of the most pretigious universities in the world are American, and not a single Russian university in the top 50.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Because here in the US we have a country of laws, constitutionally-protected political and property rights and stability. Further, democracy has always, more or less, worked, and corruption is less than the in "third-world". So these people come here where they can profit from their talents. In my area we have many immigrants from Haiti and I see them prosper and wonder why Haiti has so many problems. But the political and economic situation of their native country is, unfortunately, dysfunctional, and limits their opportunities.
That is my point. If these cultures are so advanced and hard working why does that not translate into a functional country where these cultures reside? US doesn't have all those things u named " just because" they were created by the early cultures that came here including Black Americans. People immigrate to the US for a reason...to escape THEIR dysfunctional culture to come to one that is functional

Old 07-23-2016, 01:29 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
That is my point. If these cultures are so advanced and hard working why does that not translate into a functional country where these cultures reside? US doesn't have all those things u named " just because" they were created by the early cultures that came here including Black Americans. People immigrate to the US for a reason...to escape THEIR dysfunctional culture to come to one that is functional
And generally speaking, those who are able to emigrate out of their countries are those top percentages who are already socially advantaged in significant ways in their countries. They are self-cherry-picked--not a representative sample of their cultures.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And generally speaking, those who are able to emigrate out of their countries are those top percentages who are already socially advantaged in significant ways in their countries. They are self-cherry-picked--not a representative sample of their cultures.
Thank you!!! Not to mention the "hard working" immigrant is an exaggerated myth
Attached Thumbnails
Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?-download.png  

Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I agree that the desire to assimilate likely plays a huge part, and I suspect another major factor is whether their culture puts a premium on education.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I agree that the desire to assimilate likely plays a huge part, and I suspect another major factor is whether their culture puts a premium on education.
No, the successful minorities typically don't assimilate.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
I have to take issue with this somewhat loaded question. True in centuries past there was hostility to minorities and immigrants, but since the 1965 immigration law that opened the floodgates, I believe most Americans have behaved very well to newcomers, welcomed them and applauded the great success that many have had. The troubles today relate to illegal immigration, a different issue. Immigrants have always flourished in this nation, like no other, because of the environment and opportunities here. Just compare it to most other countries, including Western Europe. I think we, native-born Americans, deserve some credit too.

So the immigrants who come here with the right values and who work hard, will succeed. Just ask my grandparents. Without these traits, native-born of any race or immigrant, will fail.
I'd disagree with the bolded part. The descendants of immigrants often flourish, but usually not the immigrants themselves. Take the "shanty Irish" or the first generation Italian immigrants or the Chinese who helped build the Transcontinental Railroad as a few examples.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Certainly.

But, what of East Asian immigrants (who then formed part of the East Asian minority community in the USA) who arrived with little in the way of possessions and or assets? I'm thinking of many of the Vietnamese refugees who arrived in the late 1970s. Many of their children did not speak English and yet ended up doing well in American schools, often becoming valedictorians.

The East Asian minority community has often be described as the "model minority" in the US. Many of the members of that minority hate that term. But, so far, it has been an appropriate description, in overall relative terms.

What is being seen, to an extent, is that as generations of East Asians stay in the US, the later generations assimilate into US culture and by the third generation, East Asian kids are doing about as well as whites (i.e., a bit of a decline), again, overall.

What happened? Easy. Later generations, when assimilating not US culture, lose a bit of their original Confucian ethics, which stresses family cohesion and hierarchy, and it is, IMO, that ethic that keeps their families together and their families are what encourage (demand) effort and excellence in school.

Contrast that with the current state of the black American family.

Which kid do you think has a better chance at succeeding: The East Asian kid or the black kid?
Going back to just a few posts, I was going to comment on how often in this forum you have made racial generalizations. And that's a dangerous thing.

I worked with many Vietnamese children during the influx from Vietnam to the United States, particularly after the fall of Saigon. Some of those families worked very hard and did very well. Some of those families came fairly well off because they had been relatively high up in the Vietnamese government or had actually been working for the US government. And others were and remained relatively poor and under-educated. Throw your stereotype of that group away; it only fit some of those folks. And BTW...they "often became valedictorians"??? I think not, but if you have data to back-up that specific statement, I'll be happy to evaluate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates