Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Mr. Hitler would have loved you...perhaps even loved you to death.
I take it then you are patriotic when things are going in your favor but as soon as the country hits a few bumps or something happens you dont like you turn your back and go against your country. Talk about selfish.

I'm not talking dictatorship or genocide. My post was in response to statement about electing a biracial president so yeah! patriotic! Now we have a republican president elect and same people are wanting to secede (or become traitors depending on your geographic location). Should one not support their country regardless of minor disagreements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Re the original post.... what does your cousin mean that you are not patriotic enough? What in your actions or speech is allegedly lacking?

I'm not impressed by shallow patriotism like flag-waving and empty "USA USA" chants, Pledge, national anthem singing, etc. There's a group of people that demonstrate and wave American flags on a bridge over the interstate around here every 9/11 (on the sidewalk, not impeding traffic) - um, ok, what exactly is this accomplishing?

What I do find disturbing is the judgment and reprimanding of people who don't subscribe to those activities or intense feelings about the stars and stripes, like getting all twisted about people kneeling during the anthem or refusing to say the pledge. That tells me that the "patriotism" is not so much some love of country (whatever that really means, since these same people often don't really love all the types of people this country is comprised of) as it is about expecting conformity to a rigidly defined set of norms. i.e. you better get on board and rah rah with us, or you are a disrespectful scoundrel.

I am also grateful I was born in the U.S., as I have had many opportunities and a good life here that probably wouldn't have been possible in a lot of other places, especially as a woman. However, me waving an American flag, or loudly singing the anthem, does not automatically make me a better person or citizen than someone next to me that chooses not to do those things.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:56 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
The Senator from Wisconsin cannot frighten me by exclaiming, “My country, right or wrong.” In one sense I say so too. My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.

- Sen. Carl Schurz, February 29, 1872

See also an essay on the two types of patriotism by Alexis de Tocqueville.

These gentlemen express it more eloquently than I ever could.

In the context of current events, patriotism has taken on new meanings, some agreeable and others questionable. Take, for example, the notion that one should move to Canada (or some other comfortable, liberal society) because one disagrees with the results of the election. There's a lengthy list of celebrities who have promised to do this, which in my opinion says more about a class of entitled people with undeserved wealth and fame, than it does about our country as a whole. I have to believe they don't represent our country as a whole, anyway.

I, like other commenters here, lived abroad when younger; I spent two years in Asia while in college. I came back more patriotic, not less. Indeed, although I saw many aspects of their societies that were superior to ours, I also witnessed much more absolute racism and classism and sexism than were present in the U.S. even 35 years ago. I saw cultures where you simply could not get ahead without the right connections. It opened my eyes.

People here don't realize how good they have it, how much was sacrificed to make it good, and how easily we can lose all that is good if we don't remain vigilant and engaged in democracy.

Of course we're not perfect, far from it. But patriotism, to me, isn't about asserting our perfection. It's about faith in ourselves and our nation to solve our problems and continue to be a beacon of freedom in the world.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If not for your own county, whose county are you for? Move there...and tell its people you're not feeling patriotic. I think that alone might instill some American patriotism in you.

Exactly, no one is making you stay here! If you're not proud of your country, go elsewhere! Grass isn't always greener as they say!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Re the original post.... what does your cousin mean that you are not patriotic enough? What in your actions or speech is allegedly lacking?

I'm not impressed by shallow patriotism like flag-waving and empty "USA USA" chants, Pledge, national anthem singing, etc. There's a group of people that demonstrate and wave American flags on a bridge over the interstate around here every 9/11 (on the sidewalk, not impeding traffic) - um, ok, what exactly is this accomplishing?

What I do find disturbing is the judgment and reprimanding of people who don't subscribe to those activities or intense feelings about the stars and stripes, like getting all twisted about people kneeling during the anthem or refusing to say the pledge. That tells me that the "patriotism" is not so much some love of country (whatever that really means, since these same people often don't really love all the types of people this country is comprised of) as it is about expecting conformity to a rigidly defined set of norms. i.e. you better get on board and rah rah with us, or you are a disrespectful scoundrel.

I am also grateful I was born in the U.S., as I have had many opportunities and a good life here that probably wouldn't have been possible in a lot of other places, especially as a woman. However, me waving an American flag, or loudly singing the anthem, does not automatically make me a better person or citizen than someone next to me that chooses not to do those things.
Exactly. The OP hasn't answered the question of how his and his cousin's definitions of patriotism differ.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:30 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
There is a right and wrong time to do or say anything. Putting a spotlight on yourself in a stadium of people in this way is selfish.
Selfish? Or effective? I think it's ok to point out that there's a lot more work to be done in this country before everyone has equal opportunity for life, liberty, equality, and happiness. The American ideal is a work-in-progress, not a fait accomplis.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I take it then you are patriotic when things are going in your favor but as soon as the country hits a few bumps or something happens you dont like you turn your back and go against your country. Talk about selfish.

I'm not talking dictatorship or genocide. My post was in response to statement about electing a biracial president so yeah! patriotic! Now we have a republican president elect and same people are wanting to secede (or become traitors depending on your geographic location). Should one not support their country regardless of minor disagreements.
Minor, sure then I can agree with you in principle.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:53 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Selfish? Or effective? I think it's ok to point out that there's a lot more work to be done in this country before everyone has equal opportunity for life, liberty, equality, and happiness. The American ideal is a work-in-progress, not a fait accomplis.
Effective how?

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
While I agree this does not make one patriotic and doesn't accomplish anything. It is merely an expression of ones patriotism. Nothing wrong with that. Should people be shamed for not expressing themselves this way, no. Its a personal choice.
Just like ball games. Some people go all out, painting themselves, wearing colors, waving symbols, shouting, etc. some just show up to the game. Doesn't really make one a more loyal fan than the other.

Quote:
Where I agree in not passing judgement for not pledging to the flag the kneeling IMO was a direct and intentional insult to patriotism. Not expressing ones patriotism in symbolism and behavior is different than expressing ones disdain for their country . I do think it shameful for one to reap the benefits of their country and denounce it at the same time. If one can not stand behind his country and work to right the wrongs don't accept personal gains from the benefits it affords you.

Quote:
I agree. At the same time it makes me feel good to see a community united, rallying together in support of country and community expressed through standing together while the national anthem is sung as I did last night at a HS ball game. As well there was a moment of silence for the people of Gatlinburg as they continue to fight the fires. Some said a silent prayer, some did not, perhaps some could have cared less but all stood to show respect. No one knelt to express their disdain for their countrymen.

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-30-2016 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Tag Fix

Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu12 View Post
Why not? USA is a very big country and the government is obliged to use patriotism propaganda to keep the country united. Otherwise, many states would have seceded from the union long time ago.
Patriotism is what an individual feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates