Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:02 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times

Advertisements

I served in the military for 6 years. It was actually that experience that made me LESS patriotic, since I stopped believing that the leaders of the United States have its best interests at heart. I REALLY believe that now, since I doubt Donald Trump has any interest besides the glorification of Trump.

I have no need to wrap myself in the flag.

Everybody loves a cute & friendly pet. The people who REALLY love animals are the ones who help the not-so-cute ones. I always have respect for those who take care of a 3-legged dog or something like that.

Being patriotic to me is standing up for the people who are not part of the "tribe" but still Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:32 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,499 times
Almost all Americans do not understand that we are at war to protect ourselves. When not bombing and shooting then economic. The rest of the world does not care about the USA. If you do not either then sometime in the future we will likely fail to exist. Shameful? No, more likely stupid.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:52 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My cousin with a military and a police background has shamed me too often for not being patriotic, or more patriotic, for a variety of reasons, and I oftentimes have felt ashamed that I'm not. But, I came across some sayings recently, and now I feel much better now about why I shouldn't be patriotic.

So, how do you view patriotism? Something to be proud of or ashamed of?
To me there's a very big difference between "informed patriotism" and "ignorant patriotism".

I often see "ignorant patriotism" on this forum (and even already in this thread). The my country right or wrong patriotism. I suppose that the Germans and Japanese could use that concept in excusing what their country did in the period leading up to and including World War II. I suppose there are members of ISIS who use that philosophy for their failed caliphate.

I believe in "informed patriotism". I am proud of this country and most of its founders...even though I see how imperfect those founders were. I am proud of the growth of this country...even though I also see that to a large extent that growth was based on slavery and the decimation of the American Indian. I am proud of our relatively Democratic system, even though I may find some of those elected abhorrent. "Informed patriotism" is being proud of what this country which is noble and good, but looking at and contemplating the bad this country has done and asking the question how can we develop a more perfect union?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think Patriotism of late has really been taking a beaten from the Left and the media. There were many Southerners who flew the Confederate flag as a symbol of their heritage and it had nothing to do with racism but it was made into a symbol of hate to the point where a TV network stopped airing reruns of "The Dukes of Hazard". They have started a movement where it is hip to not be Patriotic.

I can't imagine the pain it must bring to the surviving members of "the Greatest Generation", those who fought and sacrificed in the name of freedom to watch some idiot trample on or burn the American flag. It is the epitome of hypocrisy that those who desecrate the flag are able to do so without fear of being beaten, locked up or even killed because of the people who loved that flag and sacrificed to give them the protected rights to do so.

I think that people who refuse to recite the pledge of allegiance or they take a knee when the anthem is played are simply misguided. America has given people every opportunity to thrive compared to so many other places in the world and many have forgotten how lucky they are.
We have heard so much negativity coming out of the election like people saying "he ain't my President". People have lost faith in America.
Maybe the OP has lost his/her faith in America?

No one should be shaming anyone for their feelings. I would recommend reading some History or watching some inspiring movies like "Pearl Harbor" but most are about war but they might lite a fire in you and allow you to see that America is a pretty special place.
And yet you just did.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Black and white thinking like this may be the single reason he is not patriotic.
Agreed.

I lived overseas for a couple of years. It didn't affect my patriotism at all.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I can say what I feel is right or wrong about how our country is run and I do as often as I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
These athletes that call attention to themselves during the national athem at games are selfish jerks.
No irony here, is there?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So essentially the freedom of expression should be removed from the Constitution?
Again, agreed. The post you are referring to, which essentially puts down freedom of thought and freedom of expression, shows a total lack of understanding about the good part of what makes this country so great.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think Patriotism of late has really been taking a beaten from the Left and the media. There were many Southerners who flew the Confederate flag as a symbol of their heritage and it had nothing to do with racism but it was made into a symbol of hate to the point where a TV network stopped airing reruns of "The Dukes of Hazard". They have started a movement where it is hip to not be Patriotic.

I can't imagine the pain it must bring to the surviving members of "the Greatest Generation", those who fought and sacrificed in the name of freedom to watch some idiot trample on or burn the American flag. It is the epitome of hypocrisy that those who desecrate the flag are able to do so without fear of being beaten, locked up or even killed because of the people who loved that flag and sacrificed to give them the protected rights to do so.

I think that people who refuse to recite the pledge of allegiance or they take a knee when the anthem is played are simply misguided. America has given people every opportunity to thrive compared to so many other places in the world and many have forgotten how lucky they are.
We have heard so much negativity coming out of the election like people saying "he ain't my President". People have lost faith in America.
Maybe the OP has lost his/her faith in America?

No one should be shaming anyone for their feelings. I would recommend reading some History or watching some inspiring movies like "Pearl Harbor" but most are about war but they might lite a fire in you and allow you to see that America is a pretty special place.
You didn't think it was unpatriotic to sabotage the Obama administration? Republicans are so partisan that they wouldn't work with Obama for almost 8 years. They called him a liar, wrote a letter to Iran to say not to work with Obama, didn't want anything going through that would give Obama any credit.
Republicans are Repulsive. They are unpatriotic and fascist....

Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They were not traitors. They attempted to secede from the union which was not in violation of the constitution. Anyway flying the American flag is patriotic. Our patriotism is to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I don't think patriotism proclaims this is the best country or only country that matters just that you belong to and support YOUR country.

So one can be patriotic only when they get something from their country or something goes their favor? I've always seen it as kind of a marriage, for better or worse in sickness and in health.
You certainly don't speak for me.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
No irony here, is there?
None at all...just up to his or her waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates