Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

In any event, I just don't understand why protesters seem to think offending or inconveniencing people is a good idea. Reminds me of when Black Lives Matter tied up Manhattan traffic just before Thanksgiving 2014. My son was on his way into New York City by bus from Lehigh University and I was on my way to pick him up at Port Authority. His bus took three hours to make it from Liberty Airport in Newark to New York. I never made it in since the traffic was, as shown by MapQuest gridlocked all the way from NYC back to Mamaroneck in Westchester County. Fortunately I reached my son, an intelligent, resourceful 18 year old at the time and he walked across town to Grand Central Terminal. I picked him up at the Metro North Station in Larchmont.

Do you think I was influenced favorably towards BLM?

Flag burning has a similar effect on people; it either enrages or disgusts them or at best their neutral. I'm not going to say, "those people must really hate Trump so so will I." The question for debate is whether flag burning is a good way to express political views. I submit that it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
The anecdote about Thanksgiving 2014 doesn't contribute to a discussion about flag burning.
Asking about BLM doesn't relate to flag burning.
People's feelings about Trump doesn't relate to flag burning.

Are you sure you want to discuss flag burning?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:19 PM

636 posts, read 392,680 times
Like everything,

Yes
and no

Yes - it gets people's attention
No - many of the people whose attention it seems to get the most aren't capable of having a rational discussion on the topic and can't see past the flag burning itself.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Personally I'm not in favor of it, but I think it is protected "speech", and I don't get upset about it. I actually get upset about the superficial people who get all bent out of shape about it; very immature to get so consumed about it. And BTW, I often fly my flag.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The question for debate is whether flag burning is a good way to express political views. I submit that it is not.
That implies you have a set of protest techniques that are appropriate for expressing political views. That does not jibe with freedom of speech. Different people have different ways of communicating. Flag burning is apparently one of those. I wouldn't do it, but it does not bother me that somebody else chooses to do it. And no, it does not cause me to change my mind about anything. But it does communicate the depth of their anger and frustration, which is apparently very high. So I guess all in all, it has achieved its purpose.

My recommendation is if you don't agree with their gripe, just ignore the whole thing. If you do agree with their gripe, then write your congressperson. It is not worth getting upset over. The country has bigger problems to solve.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
As an American, I'm all for protests protected by the 1st Ammendment, inconvienced or not, but I never really understood flag burning, to me it's just below skinning a bald eagle.

I do burn wood though to protest winter.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
I would add that people who are against flag burning are the people who never feel the need to protest or feel oppressed. From their perspective there is nothing worse than burning a piece of cloth with hints of nationalism over the pursuit of life in a free nation. I'm all for burning the flag, as I am a proponent of free speech, even when I don't agree with it.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In any event, I just don't understand why protesters seem to think offending or inconveniencing people is a good idea. Reminds me of when Black Lives Matter tied up Manhattan traffic just before Thanksgiving 2014. My son was on his way into New York City by bus from Lehigh University and I was on my way to pick him up at Port Authority. His bus took three hours to make it from Liberty Airport in Newark to New York. I never made it in since the traffic was, as shown by MapQuest gridlocked all the way from NYC back to Mamaroneck in Westchester County. Fortunately I reached my son, an intelligent, resourceful 18 year old at the time and he walked across town to Grand Central Terminal. I picked him up at the Metro North Station in Larchmont.

Do you think I was influenced favorably towards BLM?

Flag burning has a similar effect on people; it either enrages or disgusts them or at best their neutral. I'm not going to say, "those people must really hate Trump so so will I." The question for debate is whether flag burning is a good way to express political views. I submit that it is not.
There are 1000's who die for the flag(Soldiers, Cops) etc. Its an insult to them . They should be arrested.

Usually only extremists or illiterates do burn flags of other countries. These guys are taking it to a whole new level of stupidity.

Progress comes through education and knowledge.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Personally I'm not in favor of it, but I think it is protected "speech", and I don't get upset about it. I actually get upset about the superficial people who get all bent out of shape about it; very immature to get so consumed about it. And BTW, I often fly my flag.
Yes, flag burning is protected speech, but it can also have negative consequences for a person who engages in such a practice, and the Constitution provides no protection against such consequences.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
There are 1000's who die for the flag(Soldiers, Cops) etc. Its an insult to them . They should be arrested.

Usually only extremists or illiterates do burn flags of other countries. These guys are taking it to a whole new level of stupidity.

Progress comes through education and knowledge.
I would hope that no one dies protecting a flag. I would hope they die protecting freedom and their brother next to them, if they must die. A flag is a representation of America, which is it's federal government, which should be open to subjective criticism. No one is burning dog tags.

And usually nationalists and xenophobes fly their nations flag unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates