Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ha! Guess this newbie told you, Bob. I'll guess this poster has a political interest in the stuff.
My reply to the other guy from last night got eaten. Seems City-Data goes down around 2-3 AM almost every night.

I've asked five doctors I know...two oncologists, two GPs, and an anethesiologist, about medical uses of MJ, and they were unanimous in telling me that there are better drugs for every purpose claimed by the medical MJ crowd. And for those very few that tolerate Delta-9 THC better than all the others, they can prescribe pure pharmaceutical versions without the need for a pot farm that blurs the legal lines. I think that poster is one of those that labels any position counter to his own "ignorant." I'll take the word of the docs over an advocate for recreational drug use any day.

As to legalization, I'm torn. Personally, I think we should pile cocaine up on the street corners, and let those who want it kill themselves with it. It's cheaper to bury them than to try and fix them. I support drug testing in the workplace...with that we can keep those that use MJ, meth, opiates etc out in the gutter where they belong.

Last, the other poster might not want to test the Colorado Springs PD...I think he would find that we don't play his game around here the way he thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
Default Think!!!!!!!

I can't believe how this argument goes back and forth so many times between so many people and so few people hit basic common sense on the issue. It's a weed!!!!!! It grows in the ground!!!!!! Who in their right mind would try to regulate it or especially declare war on it? People who genuinely think it is their job to look into everyone else's business. So many of these posts reek of parrots and robots. "We don't take that marijuana smokin' hippie stuff round here. No sir, we don't need no pot head druggies." I don't even like weed or take any drugs (pharmaceutical or otherwise) unless severely injured, but at least I can think for my self on the issue. I know many prominent and not so prominent people who love their weed. Who cares? Honestly people, let your common sense breath for a second.

As for the doctors you have spoken with that say there are better drugs for everything mj proponents say weed is good for, perhaps there are. However, they also come with a ridiculous list of side effects usually including "in some cases, death". Stop believing everything you hear. Those people are drug pushers also. They just have the money to lobby and see that their drugs are legal and advertised on every other tv/radio commercial.

I think that what keeps happening here is that people are brought up thinking and defending one narrow minded way and at some point they will never be able to listen to common sense. Because if they did, they would have to admit that they and their teachers may have been wrong all along, and we just can't have that now. "Screw the truth or common sense if it means that I might have been arguing erroneously this whole time." Think for yourself!! Its okay, I promise nothing bad will happen.

Many of you that argue against the use of this plant (just a plant mind you) probably believe in God and are religious. That's fine, but don't you think that perhaps that God put everything here for some reason? (Ecclesiastes- "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven") I know one thing many of you believe about God is that he gave us freedom. Even at the price he knew would be great, He did it anyway. If freedom was so important to God, then why with such ease do you take it from others?

The U.S. has the highest prison population in the world per capita. Even higher than the U.S.S.R. and China combined durring the height of their communist regimes. Most of the inmates are there for victimless crime. How is this possible? The war on drugs and the government being bent on regulating everything is how. According to the Dep. of Justice, 1 in every 30 adults is in jail or on parole and 1 in 18 males behind bars. From 95 to 07 violent crime dropped 22.5% and property crime dropped 22.7%, yet the number of incarcerations durring that time increased dramatically. Perhaps one day you too will wake up and find that you're on the Sh'tlist for some dumb reason and maybe then you'll see it. Until then, try to let a little reason enter into that big brain.

Quote:
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 AM

I'm all for legalizing it, like I said, pile cocaine up on the street corners for free. I'd rather we pay to bury the addicts than to put up with them and their crap as they and their distributors kill cops and steal from everyone else around them just to get expensive contraband to stick up their noses or in their veins. A couple lethal doses of pure smack "on the house" are a heck of a lot cheaper than tending to an addicted gutter rat in a jail or ER somewhere. And the drug cartel border violence will disappear almost overnight, just as the gang problems did after the repeal of prohibition.

That said, I'm also for testing and excluding anyone who is stupid enough to use that crap from jobs, from health and life insurance, and from public welfare/food stamps or any other public assistance of any kind. And if they get caught driving while high--even once--permanent revocation of their driver's license.

By all means, let the weak and inferior have the "liberty" of easy access to the means to destroy themselves. The rest of us have worked too hard to spend our money to save them from themselves, anyway.

BTW, hemlock is a plant God put on the earth, too.

Quote:
Wow man...gurgle gurgle gurgle...thud...gasp...gasp...
-Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Bob from down south; 04-21-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times
It's a geeky and fictional reference, but a fairly appropriate quote here:

"Seek freedom and become slave to your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

-Frank Herbert, from "Dune"

Weed? Whatever. Just keep it away from me. There are good points on both sides of the issue, but I don't see this as an issue that's going to be resolved any time soon. Likely it'll occupy it's slightly underground niche where people responsible enough and clever enough to keep it private and concealed will continue to be able to use it without legal repercussions.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,584 times
My opinion, legalize drugs but keep insurance companies and the government from paying for treatment and medical care for druggies under our blanket medical care coverage. I don't want non-drug users to pay for the problems drug-users have from taking recreational drugs.

They can have special insurance policies to cover the costs of medical treatment or damages they cause - maybe make it like driving - you have to have a "recreational drug" insurance policy with specific levels of coverage depending on the drug used and purchased (marijuana, cocaine, ....).

I'd expect the insurance companies to balance the coverage costs based on the risk. i.e. Marijuana use insurance would likely be low cost. Cocaine use coverage would be much higher cost.

Even with insurance costs, by legalizing drugs and adding taxes to purchases, the current users probably won't be paying less than they do now on the black market. This is a key to the war on drugs - making the black market non-profitable by lowering cost. Without a profitable black market, the crime associated with drug cartels and illegal distribution will go away.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
. . . but I don't see this as an issue that's going to be resolved any time soon. Likely it'll occupy it's slightly underground niche where people responsible enough and clever enough to keep it private and concealed will continue to be able to use it without legal repercussions.
I expect a quintessential American solution of unannounced easing off of prosecutions while "authorities" look the other way. By the time people are landscaping with it in their HOA xeriscaping plans, it will be "de facto" legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
My opinion, legalize drugs but keep insurance companies and the government from paying for treatment and medical care for druggies under our blanket medical care coverage. I don't want non-drug users to pay for the problems drug-users have from taking recreational drugs.

They can have special insurance policies to cover the costs of medical treatment or damages they cause - maybe make it like driving - you have to have a "recreational drug" insurance policy with specific levels of coverage depending on the drug used and purchased (marijuana, cocaine, ....).

I'd expect the insurance companies to balance the coverage costs based on the risk. i.e. Marijuana use insurance would likely be low cost. Cocaine use coverage would be much higher cost.

Even with insurance costs, by legalizing drugs and adding taxes to purchases, the current users probably won't be paying less than they do now on the black market. This is a key to the war on drugs - making the black market non-profitable by lowering cost. Without a profitable black market, the crime associated with drug cartels and illegal distribution will go away.
I can see people having a "rider" on their insurance policies for this coverage, like some folks do when they have collections of expensive jewelry or art, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I'm all for legalizing it, like I said, pile cocaine up on the street corners for free. I'd rather we pay to bury the addicts than to put up with them and their crap as they and their distributors kill cops and steal from everyone else around them just to get expensive contraband to stick up their noses or in their veins. A couple lethal doses of pure smack "on the house" are a heck of a lot cheaper than tending to an addicted gutter rat in a jail or ER somewhere. And the drug cartel border violence will disappear almost overnight, just as the gang problems did after the repeal of prohibition.

That said, I'm also for testing and excluding anyone who is stupid enough to use that crap from jobs, from health and life insurance, and from public welfare/food stamps or any other public assistance of any kind. And if they get caught driving while high--even once--permanent revocation of their driver's license.

By all means, let the weak and inferior have the "liberty" of easy access to the means to destroy themselves. The rest of us have worked too hard to spend our money to save them from themselves, anyway.

BTW, hemlock is a plant God put on the earth, too.

-Jimi Hendrix
One again you go and stick you big fat conservative nose into the topic...If it doesn't fit into your little perfect Christian lifestyle it's wrong period......Don't go and make stupidly ridiculous comparisons.....This thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with cocain, so quit bringing the $hit up......I smoke, regularly at that, and I'm not some junkie with a needle sticking out of my arm........I have a good paying job and I get my stuff done........Smoking a joint at home does no harm to you or your lifestyle....what I don't understand is why this is so hard for people to comprehend.

Btw------thanks to all that came out to the 4/20 rally yesterday in Downtown Denver......wonderful success and NOT A SINGLE drug arrest.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
...BTW, hemlock is a plant God put on the earth, too.

-Jimi Hendrix
That's brutal there Bob. You are a sick man. Just the way I like em!

So have you heard the
Ballad of Jimi Hendrix?

So seriously though...

I want to know the link between the whole "Let's smoke pot after school at 420" and the date of Columbine. Snopes says status: true. That makes me sick right there.

You guys need to pick another time. Why not 430?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

So seriously though...

I want to know the link between the whole "Let's smoke pot after school at 420" and the date of Columbine. Snopes says status: true. That makes me sick right there.

You guys need to pick another time. Why not 430?
Why should it be changed???? 4:20 was in existance well before Columbine.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
One again you go and stick you big fat conservative nose into the topic...If it doesn't fit into your little perfect Christian lifestyle it's wrong period......Don't go and make stupidly ridiculous comparisons.....This thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with cocain, so quit bringing the $hit up......I smoke, regularly at that, and I'm not some junkie with a needle sticking out of my arm........I have a good paying job and I get my stuff done........Smoking a joint at home does no harm to you or your lifestyle....what I don't understand is why this is so hard for people to comprehend.
They don't call cannabis a gateway drug for nothing. Because it is, it has EVERYTHING to do with cocaine. Like I said, YOU WIN. Let's give the stuff away to losers from coast to coast, along with a discount cremation voucher.

My thoughts on drugs being the path of choice for the weak and the stupid have nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with years of observation of what drug use does to people, families, and innocent bystanders. But I'd rather that the consequences of recreational drug use be visited on the users themselves and not those around them, so I support legalizing it while at the same time turning our backs on those that self destruct as a result.

As far as your self-evaluation of success, I can tell you that the many potheads and cokeheads I've known across the years all thought they were the sh*t when it came to singing, dancing, philosophizing, lovemaking etc while high. As reality would have it, they weren't "the sh*t," they were more like "really sh*tty." So pardon my extreme skepticism when an admitted drug user tells me he's not affected by what he's toking, snorting, or shooting. And if you're not now...it's very likely you will be.

I've known lots of people that drive home from their partying impaired, and the fact that they got away with it 100 times in a row made them think it was no big deal. I also know that nearly all people that injure or kill themselves or others while driving impaired aren't doing it for the first time. When somebody like you tells me you have a good paying job and get your stuff done without a problem, you remind me of that guy who just drove home drunk for the 99th time in a row without killing anyone. When he goes for #100, it's still dangerous and irresponsible, and if he gets away with it again, it just reinforces his belief that it isn't that much more.

Users are losers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates