Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Nobody ever mentions it
But United States was built by slaves

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...built-america/

Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It doesn't matter if its gradual or rapid.

There are groups of people who refuse to assimilate and will establish like minded enclaves and also other groups who have deeply ingrained cultural values that are incompatible with civilized or western society.

I want no part of that they can stay where they are.

No thanks.
Exactly! If people want to move to America they need to adjust to OUR culture and not expect us to adjust to theirs. Not saying they shouldn't keep part of their culture alive, just don't expect the majority of Americans to cater to them.

As for diversity, there is something to be said about countries like Japan where the majority ARE 100% Japanese. They have low crime and even elementary school kids take the subways to school. They look out for each other. Saw a whole program on PBS about the Japanese.

Of course the USA is what it is because of diversity however there is a certain attractiveness about living in a country where everyone shares the same values, beliefs and culture.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! If people want to move to America they need to adjust to OUR culture and not expect us to adjust to theirs. Not saying they shouldn't keep part of their culture alive, just don't expect the majority of Americans to cater to them.

As for diversity, there is something to be said about countries like Japan where the majority ARE 100% Japanese. They have low crime and even elementary school kids take the subways to school. They look out for each other. Saw a whole program on PBS about the Japanese.

Of course the USA is what it is because of diversity however there is a certain attractiveness about living in a country where everyone shares the same values, beliefs and culture.
As mentioned before, Japan also has an aging population where fertility rates are falling below replacement. Immigration is the reason this hasn't happened to us.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Diversity is only a problem if you don't like the group that's being integrated.

Most (white) Americans have no issues with East Asians because they don't perceive Asians as a threat to the existing (white) culture. If Asians start coming in larger numbers and use those fancy tech degrees to fight for increased political/cultural representation, even their diversity will be considered 'encroachment.'

The people that lament diversity the most are the ones that would probably benefit the most.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
By their acts, we shall know them.

I never read of Philipinos recruiting others in the US to leave and go to foreign terrorist training camps.

I never read of Philipinos killing a bunch of US citizens in the name of Jesus Christ.

Muslims?
Many times !

I have read of Europeans killing Natives (in Australia, Africa and the Americas) for economic benefit all in the name of Jesus Christ.

Let's not limit the discussion of Jihad. Andrew Osama bin Jackson knows all about extermination....you know, that Trail of Tears thing.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I have read of Europeans killing Natives (in Australia, Africa and the Americas) for economic benefit all in the name of Jesus Christ.

Let's not limit the discussion of Jihad. Andrew Osama bin Jackson knows all about extermination....you know, that Trail of Tears thing.
I couldn't care less about Andrew Jackson as I wasn't born yet and thus feel no guilt or accept no responsibility for his actions.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Well, there's this

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
By their acts, we shall know them.

I never read of Philipinos recruiting others in the US to leave and go to foreign terrorist training camps.

I never read of Philipinos killing a bunch of US citizens in the name of Jesus Christ.

Muslims?
Many times !
The history of the US & the Philippines is convoluted & messy. About 5% of the Philippine population - mostly in the southwestern islands - is Islamic (dating to Spanish rule, back to 1571 CE - the founding of Manila). & Islam has been an organizing principal for resistance/rebellion to the government ever since the Spanish-American War.

& no, I suppose that Muslims wouldn't kill anyone in the name of Jesus - although Islam does recognize Jesus as a messenger & prophet, but not part of the godhead.

Last edited by southwest88; 03-30-2017 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: fix

Old 03-30-2017, 10:07 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Japan has an institutionalized form of violence & crime - it's under better control than in the US, but there's a fair amount of violence there - social control & police & Yakuza & political parties. Mainly, those topics that are forbidden simply don't appear in the MSM.

The US is what it is because we were - other than perhaps the Native Peoples - the malcontents & cranks & people on the make, looking for a way forward out of poverty, religious strictures, political restrictions, prison, disease, & no future in sight back in the home sod. The slaves - Native Peoples & Blacks - didn't have much choice. Indentured servants @ least had an element of choice, although if you & everyone you know is slowly starving to death, I doubt that calling it freedom would quiet your clenching stomach any.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nobody ever mentions it
But United States was built by slaves

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...built-america/
If you believe that you've never read the history of the United State with any depth. You haven't heard of Chinese and the railroads, the French explorers, trappers and traders who together, with the indigenous peoples, formed one of the first great industries, the Finns and the iron ore mines, the Irish, the German and the Scandinavian influxes of the 1800's.

In MN by nearly 1900 there were only about one-hundred Black people in my state, Minnesota. None of them were ever anywhere near where I grew up. I met my first Black person in 1966 when I was in college. He was an exchange student from Africa.

I know that's difficult for Afrocentrists to believe but expanding knowledge of history and getting to know other American cultures proves that Americans have different historical views.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:25 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Who ever said "diversity" was a valid goal of the human condition ... and what does "diversity" even mean?

Anti-discrimination and equal opportunities are GOOD things and should be promoted!

But, mindlessly rearranging naturally distributed blue, red, black, white and green marbles (people) - to satisfy a 'diversity euphemism,' is only bureaucratic social engineering designed to replace reality with politically correct theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates