Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 03:36 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
well I have known someone with a chronic pain issue. Its no joke.

And when the restrictions kick in- I can totally see how heroin becomes a totally viable alternative.

Its kinda sickening how much prescription opioids are marketed but theres a lack of transition planning to other non Rx remedies and life style changes that can ease pain-

our healthcare system is set up to authorize prescriptions, not wellness care.
Agree.

There's little profit in cure. It's why Big pHarma spends $millions bribing .... er should I say making 'political donations', to stop the legalisation of cannabis, a natural safe plant that they can't patent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 03:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I understand but here is the problem; if I didn't have good health insurance and $14,000 to spend on co-pays I would still be in agonizing pain. Many of these people who are just given opiates don't have any options and the doctors give them opiates because they people don't have the insurance to cover the things that would relieve the underlying issues. I had options because I had money. Many of the places were the opioid epidemic is the highest are places were people are poor. We can't just regulate opioids we have to address the entire healthcare system.
I hear what you're saying, but the writing is on the wall (and I didn't write it) if you are taking opiates for chronic pain expect to be cut off after a few weeks. That doesn't mean that I think that's a great policy, I don't think it is...but it's better to deal with reality. I've talked to a few friend who after being cut off opioids went and got their medical marijuana card and are now using high CBD, low THC marijuana for pain control, but even that's not a sure thing, if Sessions decides that federal law supersedes state law for Marijuana their access to medical marijuana could end tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Many people don't have state laws either that permit medical uses of marijuana...not even prescribed medical uses. But, I think as people who suffer great pain associated with medical conditions start turning to heroin...well, legal marijuana is a LOT better than heroin addiction, so maybe more states will okay it. One thing also, is that the number of uninsured Americans might skyrocket in the future, in which case there will be untreated conditions causing more pain, which could mean more demand for either legal or illegal marijuana...or heroin.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
* in the amounts they need to control pain they'll die from liver/kidney failure first
Depends on what opiate a patient takes. Synthetic 'opiates' such as Fentanyl & oxycodone for e.g., do damage the liver.
Morphine however, is not a synthetic & derived from opium.

Over 17 years ago I was diagnosed with a rare vascular disease (Buergers) that 'kills 100% of patients within 2-3 years'.
Thinking I was dying & in chronic pain, I hid in a morphine haze for a few years, taking a minimum of 500mg daily.
Eventually I realised that it was no way to live & have reduced down to around 100mg a day, which I've maintained for over a decade.

Despite those huge doses (even 100mg is considered a big daily dose) my kidneys & liver are healthy.

Ironically, had I accepted the pain clinic Dr's advice & taken other medications that they pushed quite aggressively (Epillim, Prednisone, Methadone for e.g.) like three of my fellow patients, I would have died like them years ago.

Many pharmaceuticals do more harm than any good, especially liver damage.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:17 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
Depends on what opiate a patient takes. Synthetic 'opiates' such as Fentanyl & oxycodone for e.g., do damage the liver.
Morphine however, is not a synthetic & derived from opium.

Over 17 years ago I was diagnosed with a rare vascular disease (Buergers) that 'kills 100% of patients within 2-3 years'.
Thinking I was dying & in chronic pain, I hid in a morphine haze for a few years, taking a minimum of 500mg daily.
Eventually I realised that it was no way to live & have reduced down to around 100mg a day, which I've maintained for over a decade.

Despite those huge doses (even 100mg is considered a big daily dose) my kidneys & liver are healthy.

Ironically, had I accepted the pain clinic Dr's advice & taken other medications that they pushed quite aggressively (Epillim, Prednisone, Methadone for e.g.) like three of my fellow patients, I would have died like them years ago.

Many pharmaceuticals do more harm than any good, especially liver damage.

oxycodone and hydrocodone contain large amounts of acetomenaphin..... aka Tylenol..... I'd bet that THAT is what damages the liver.....

Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
oxycodone and hydrocodone contain large amounts of acetomenaphin..... aka Tylenol..... I'd bet that THAT is what damages the liver.....
You are exactly right. Opiates by themselves don't hurt the liver, the Tylenol they are combined with to make Percocet and Oxy do the damage to the liver.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
The Hydrocodone my DH was prescribed has 325 mg. Tylenol per tablet and if taken every 6 hours at most, that's not a lot of Tylenol. He seldom ever takes it, actually.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
Agree.

There's little profit in cure. It's why Big pHarma spends $millions bribing .... er should I say making 'political donations', to stop the legalisation of cannabis, a natural safe plant that they can't patent.
Yes, its far more lucrative to 'treat' rather than cure, its the same logic US law enforcement uses in the war on drugs too, if you notice they never go after the source (the cartels), they focus on the small level dealers and users, which provides a constant stream of people to arrest and property to seize from. IN order for the war on drugs to continue, there MUST be a consistent drug problem, this requires a steady flow of drugs into the country.

Big pharma blocked the marijuana legalization in AZ and shortly after they received DEA approval for their own synthetic marijuana..now if that isnt corruption right out in the open, Im not sure what is!

I think this will continue until enough people get fed up with Govt coming between them and their doctors, the Govt, DEA, etc have NO business whatsoever in the exam room. Any moron can research into why drug laws were originally put in place to easily see it has nothing to with protecting anyones health or safety. People really need to band together and shut this down, we have the constitution to back us up!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
The Hydrocodone my DH was prescribed has 325 mg. Tylenol per tablet and if taken every 6 hours at most, that's not a lot of Tylenol. He seldom ever takes it, actually.

Hydrocodone used to have 500 mg of acetamenaphen..... They just started prescribing the 325 mg in the last decade or so..... and if someone is abusing and taking more than prescribed, the acetamenaphen can add up in a hurry......

Old 10-20-2017, 05:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Hydrocodone used to have 500 mg of acetamenaphen..... They just started prescribing the 325 mg in the last decade or so..... and if someone is abusing and taking more than prescribed, the acetamenaphen can add up in a hurry......
I think most people don’t realize how quickly acetaminophen overdose can lead to liver failure and death. It’s typically the most common cause of liver failure-related deaths. The maximum recommended dose is only 4000mg per day.

As for people who say that there is no profit in curing, look at the cost of Harvoni, the cure for hepatitis C. It is $1000 a pill for 3 months and costs around $92K for the full course of treatment. There is still a demand for it since $90K+ for a 3-month treatment is still cheaper than lifelong treatment for a disease you often get in your youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates