Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:35 PM

66 posts, read 69,317 times

Advertisements

Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "White Guilt" to resolve racism?[/color]
It isn't. Why do you believe that it is?

What is important is understanding the historical, social, psychological and economic factors that have lead us to where we are now.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Rhetoric? Vilifying? Setting all that aside, aren't you concerned that the deck is, and has been for hundreds of years, stacked against certain people, just because they were born into certain communities, of certain ethnicities? If so, why not inform yourself about the structural obstacles they face, and pitch in to help in some way? OK, you're struggling with your own personal challenges--fair enough. But this country used to pride itself on being a meritocracy where (theoretically) everyone had a fair shake, an equal chance to improve their lot. I'd like to see it live up to that self-image, to the promise implied in that.

Furthermore, it benefits all of society to enable everyone to improve their circumstances. Everyone wins when those born to poverty and marginalization climb up the ladder. Instead of getting bogged down in perceptions of, or accusations of guilt, why not let compassion motivate you, or outrage at hidden obstacles some people face?

I'll tell you something. Most people know nothing about Native American affairs, meaning--current inequities in the system, structural obstacles to Native communities' and individuals' getting ahead. Just giving that as an example. When I talk to conservative businessmen about it, they start out ranting and throwing around stereotypes. When I bring little-known facts to light about how the system works, and specific obstacles in place, examples from Federal Indian law or examples of city housing discrimination, or whatever, people are momentarily stunned. Speechless. As they assimilate this information, they suddenly become warriors for fixing the system. They become outraged. They had no idea of what people are up against. Some of them actually choose to dedicate some effort with their peers to contribute to bringing about positive change.

Guilt is just an excuse for meaningless hand-wringing. IMO what should motivate people is genuine empathy for their fellow-citizens, and a desire to correct faults in the system, so that equal opportunity becomes a reality, not just a dream, and America can live up to its full potential and long-held ideals.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
It isn't. Why do you believe that it is?
I don't believe that it is necessary, but it appears in lots of places.

If someone noticed it like I do and felt there was good reason for it, I would totally be curious to hear that argument.

but you appear not to notice it. so there isn't much to talk about here.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Why must there be "White Guilt" to resolve racism?
There is no need. Here, let me demonstrate:

I am White. I am not racist. Nor do I feel guilty.
There. I have done my fair share.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rhetoric? Vilifying? Setting all that aside, aren't you concerned that the deck is, and has been for hundreds of years, stacked against certain people, just because they were born into certain communities, of certain ethnicities?

am I concerned about it? sure. but to what degree is the difference maybe. I'm also in a situation and have had a life where the odds were stacked against me. I don't think crying about it is going to help and I don't think the people around me are going to be more motivated to help if I pull on their heart strings. I see that as manipulative.

If so, why not inform yourself about the structural obstacles they face, and pitch in to help in some way?
that is the point. instead of shoving white guilt down everyones throat in an emotionally manipulative way, people should just ask for what they want. what do you want? what can I do? WITHIN REASON. That is most likely where we disagree.

OK, you're struggling with your own personal challenges--fair enough. But this country used to pride itself on being a meritocracy where (theoretically) everyone had a fair shake, an equal chance to improve their lot. I'd like to see it live up to that self-image, the promise implied in that.
again, my point. you don't think these communities have any responsibility in how their history has evolved? at all? at what point does a community have the right to infringe on the rights of others to level their playing ground? helping themselves means to hurt others? it is not against the law to be an *******. why do people insist on changing things that are not within their control?

Furthermore, it benefits all of society to enable everyone to improve their circumstances. Everyone wins when those born to poverty and marginalization climb up the ladder. Instead of getting bogged down in perceptions of, or accusations of guilt, why not let compassion motivate you, or outrage at hidden obstacles some people face?
that is again, a problem. you assume just because I'm white the world has been compassionate to me? as far as I can tell, forcing people to be more compassionate is tyranny. I work hard for what I have and now I have to feel sorry for people? how is feeling sorry for anyone going to empower them?

I'll tell you something. Most people know nothing about Native American affairs, meaning--current inequities in the system, structural obstacles to Native communities' and individuals' getting ahead. Just as an example. When I talk to conservative businessmen about it, they start out ranting and throwing around stereotypes. When I bring little-known facts to light about how the system works, and specific obstacles in place, examples from Federal Indian law or examples of city housing discrimination, or whatever, people are momentarily stunned. As they assimilate this information, they suddenly become warriors for fixing the system. They become outraged. They had no idea of what people are up against. Some of them actually choose to dedicate some effort with their peers to contribute to bringing about positive change.
I know a lot and I agree a lot. the problem is, it is no longer a choice. this is CLOCK WORK ORANGE. You are the person who is forcing someone to be a better person. but by doing so, they are no longer a man because they haven't a choice. haven't you ever seen clock work orange?

Guilt is just an excuse for meaningless hand-wringing. IMO what should motivate people is genuine empathy for their fellow-citizens, and a desire to correct faults in the system, so that equal opportunity becomes a reality, not just a dream, and America can live up to its full potential and long-held ideals.
I do not see guilt as an excuse. it is everywhere and incredibly explicit. I have a problem with any form of mass manipulation but I appreciate you sharing your perspective. I really do because you didn't name call and was respectful. thank you.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:

my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?
Extend that logic. If this was a purely racist or right wing country, you wouldn't be here would you?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
I don't believe that it is necessary, but it appears in lots of places.

If someone noticed it like I do and felt there was good reason for it, I would totally be curious to hear that argument.

but you appear not to notice it. so there isn't much to talk about here.
What, specifically, do you notice?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:31 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There is no need. Here, let me demonstrate:

I am White. I am not racist. Nor do I feel guilty.
There. I have done my fair share.
My I join your circle?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Extend that logic. If this was a purely racist or right wing country, you wouldn't be here would you?
It is not liberalism that is a problem. it is the extreme forceful push of their ideology that is not okay imo because due to social media, it is now entangled in people's livelihoods. people getting fired for questioning strategies of the very causes they may very well agree with. things have gotten out of control and I think that attempting to emotionally manipulate people is the very angle that is pushing otherwise progressive people towards whatever right leanings they may have.

I think it's a faulty strategy to guilt people to get what you want. that is my position. I'm curious for why emotional manipulation might be the strategy of choice for any cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.