Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

I am white, my family came here from Italy in the early 1900's. They never owned slaves or had anything to do with slavery. I have no "white guilt" and I think it's a ridiculous premise. Even if I was the daughter of previous slave owners I am not responsible for what they did.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
These people, they sit around talking to each in their echo chambers, hearing only each other's castles of the imagination, adding on to them, building them ever higher, and come up with things like white guilt or white privilege and when they've convinced themselves that they've got it down they throw it out there and expect others to marvel at the magnificent insights they're revealing to us.

There's nothing to resolve. There is no white guilt or privilege except in their imaginations.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,367 times
Not taking the rap for something I never did so if anyone is short on white guilt I can give you my share that I am not using.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So there are reasons to feel guilty, just by luck your family never owned slaves, so you're in the clear. So if someone in my past owned slaves....or turned down someone for a job just because they were black...or Irish...etc. THEN it would make sense for me to feel guilty - but only if it was MY family that did it.

Just checking to be sure I understand. Because it feels like you're willing to say guilt is reasonable ONLY because of the luck of the draw about your heritage. And it feels like if there WAS something in your family tree you just might say "I'm not responsible for the sins of my father."
Not at all what I was implying, just speaking on what I know of my family.

Bottom line is today none of us own slaves, nor did our parents or grandparents just as no one today was/is a slave and people would have to reach back well over 100 years to have an ancestor that was a slave.

Now in this day of age white supremacists, KKK etc should be ashamed to be be keeping the hate up.

Don't read into something that isn't there.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
So many people here born on, maybe not third base, but first base and thinking they hit singles.

Cue the sob stories of how hard everyone had it.

Would your sob story have been lessened in anyway if you were black?

Cue the sob stories of "one time a black guy got a job I applied for"

Old 10-13-2017, 10:10 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
These people, they sit around talking to each in their echo chambers, hearing only each other's castles of the imagination, adding on to them, building them ever higher, and come up with things like white guilt or white privilege and when they've convinced themselves that they've got it down they throw it out there and expect others to marvel at the magnificent insights they're revealing to us.

There's nothing to resolve. There is no white guilt or privilege except in their imaginations.
They're not making it up out of thin air. Just saying....

Old 10-13-2017, 10:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I can't be concerned about something that's not true! This is a big world, and there is no race that has had the deck stacked against it worldwide for hundreds of years.
Not talking about the "wide world". I was talking about US history.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're not making it up out of thin air. Just saying....
Out of fog or something smellier then.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
There are no American troops in Baghdad!

Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That's just the point. I have not seen any concrete proof of a Racist system in almost 20 years.........quite the opposite......
What kind of "proof" would there be for you to see? How about Trump writing a "C" or whatever letter it was on the applications of wealthy black people who wanted to buy in his condos, so the board would know to reject them? This is the kind of thing that happens in white neighborhoods probably on a daily basis "Oh, sorry, the apartment has been rented" "oh, sorry the bartending job was filed". These are things we don't often hear about except in big cases like the Trump Tower case, but for black people in this country, it is part of daily life, as is being followed in stores and hearing car doors lock when they walk by.

The fact there are laws doen't change much. Sure, General Motors will get hit if they don't observe equal opportunity laws, but no one is ever going to know if Craig's Auto Repair in whatever local town won't hire blacks. This is not even talking about the differences in treatment by the so-called justice system.

I think frankly you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see there isn't equal opportunity yet in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.