Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

Camping in the Southwest a few years ago, a Native American guy came by asking for money, and kept talking about "my people" and "your people". I was rather annoyed, since his complaints were about things that happened long before any of my relatives arrived in this country. I guess I'm to be held responsible for anything any white person has done, ever.

This was just one guy, not necessarily representative of the attitudes of all Native Americans or any other minorities, but I do think it's a common theme among many individuals.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
These people, they sit around talking to each in their echo chambers, hearing only each other's castles of the imagination, adding on to them, building them ever higher, and come up with things like white guilt or white privilege and when they've convinced themselves that they've got it down they throw it out there and expect others to marvel at the magnificent insights they're revealing to us.

There's nothing to resolve. There is no white guilt or privilege except in their imaginations.
And you live and exist in your echo chamber.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Camping in the Southwest a few years ago, a Native American guy came by asking for money, and kept talking about "my people" and "your people". I was rather annoyed, since his complaints were about things that happened long before any of my relatives arrived in this country. I guess I'm to be held responsible for anything any white person has done, ever.

This was just one guy, not necessarily representative of the attitudes of all Native Americans or any other minorities, but I do think it's a common theme among many individuals.
You have a responsibility toward today's America.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM

207 posts, read 113,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Bogus claims of "racism" do not disguise the facts.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

Murder arrests v. 2010 U.S. census
percent distribution
45.3% - white - - - - - - 72.4%
52.2% - black - - - - - - 12.6%
1.2 % - - amerindian - - 0.9%
1.2 % - - asian - - - - - - 4.8%
0.1% - hawaiian, other - 0.2%

“Statisticians are RACISTS!”
I know if only those damn Statisticians weren't so racists! Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

It is fascinating that many are determined to replay long-expired roles of Perpetrator and Victim. It is as if these roles never leave our being and each generation is condemned to reprise them.

Very Star Trek...

Old 10-13-2017, 12:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you live and exist in your echo chamber.
No, you!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Didn't you say on another thread beware sweeping generalizations?

BTW, I had no idea that having a disdain for racism and bigotry had anything to do with white guilt. I would think it's just called being a decent human being.
Are we referring to the same thing?

RACISM : The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes.
- The belief that one race is superior to all others.
- Prejudice or discrimination based upon race.
DISCRIMINATION : treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit.
PREJUDICE : An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion.
IRRATIONAL : Not rational; unfounded or nonsensical.
BIGOT - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Individuals are ultimately responsible, not a subgroup.
However, a subgroup may exhibit behaviors inculcated by peer pressure - such as protection for predators within their midst - a BAD THING. ("snitches get stitches...")

Americans once were like “killer bees.” When trespassed upon, the victim was not left to his own feeble devices. The community and the servant government were his allies, swarming to inflict justice (often harsh) in response to his injury.
“In Europe a criminal is an unhappy being who is struggling for his life against the ministers of justice, whilst the population is merely a spectator of the conflict; in America he is looked upon as an enemy of the human race, and the whole of mankind is against him.”
- - - Tocqueville, Alexis de, 1805-1859. . . Democracy in America, volume 1
A people who embrace Creator endowed rights and who suffer governments instituted to secure those endowed rights should be intolerant of predators, foreign or domestic. And any subgroup that allies itself with the predators in its midst are not paragons of virtue but accessories after the fact. They are anything but victims.

The cultural bias and behavior of a subgroup do affect the perceptions of that subgroup. If one met a group of Amish, on a dark street, their past behavior would not support the expectation of imminent danger.

IMHO, "White guilt" is a fabrication, part of the "divide and conquer" strategy of the predators in order to have a more "target rich" environment.

CHOICE
There are two sets of laws:
• 1. Law of love, and
• 2. Law of the jungle.

Under the law of love, harmless activity in support of one's "right to life" is moral / good. Harmful action is "bad". Self sacrifice is the "highest good."

Under the law of the jungle, predators are "good", and prey are "good to eat". Prey who fight back are "bad". Sacrificing others for one's own gain is the rule, not the exception.

Choose your law and accept the consequences.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:49 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Are we referring to the same thing?

RACISM : The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes.
- The belief that one race is superior to all others.
- Prejudice or discrimination based upon race.
DISCRIMINATION : treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit.
PREJUDICE : An irrational hostile attitude, fear or hatred towards a particular group, race or religion.
IRRATIONAL : Not rational; unfounded or nonsensical.
BIGOT - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Individuals are ultimately responsible, not a subgroup.
However, a subgroup may exhibit behaviors inculcated by peer pressure - such as protection for predators within their midst - a BAD THING. ("snitches get stitches...")

Americans once were like “killer bees.” When trespassed upon, the victim was not left to his own feeble devices. The community and the servant government were his allies, swarming to inflict justice (often harsh) in response to his injury.
“In Europe a criminal is an unhappy being who is struggling for his life against the ministers of justice, whilst the population is merely a spectator of the conflict; in America he is looked upon as an enemy of the human race, and the whole of mankind is against him.”
- - - Tocqueville, Alexis de, 1805-1859. . . Democracy in America, volume 1
A people who embrace Creator endowed rights and who suffer governments instituted to secure those endowed rights should be intolerant of predators, foreign or domestic. And any subgroup that allies itself with the predators in its midst are not paragons of virtue but accessories after the fact. They are anything but victims.

The cultural bias and behavior of a subgroup do affect the perceptions of that subgroup. If one met a group of Amish, on a dark street, their past behavior would not support the expectation of imminent danger.

IMHO, "White guilt" is a fabrication, part of the "divide and conquer" strategy of the predators in order to have a more "target rich" environment.

CHOICE
There are two sets of laws:
• 1. Law of love, and
• 2. Law of the jungle.

Under the law of love, harmless activity in support of one's "right to life" is moral / good. Harmful action is "bad". Self sacrifice is the "highest good."

Under the law of the jungle, predators are "good", and prey are "good to eat". Prey who fight back are "bad". Sacrificing others for one's own gain is the rule, not the exception.

Choose your law and accept the consequences.
While not the most insane thing I read today this is pretty ridiculous.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:12 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,659 times
If you have trouble seeing the accumulated effects of 400 years of racism and other such evils, then you are indeed a part of the problem.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I feel like the white-guilt paradigm has changed and come to the front of the social justice discussion as witnessed, in particular, on college campuses and what they are instituting as the proper way for people to think and feel.

In the past, white-guilt was generated by (individual) white people themselves and it was largely a private affair that those individuals used as a way to reconcile their own relationship to past events and the present racial dynamic.

Today, white-guilt is actually wielded and dispensed, if not enforced, on white people, willing and unwilling, by those who define the social justice rhetoric whether that be certain university department academics, administrators, and social justice activist organizations like BLM, SPLC, and others.

In other words, white-guilt was an incipient philosophy that some white people subscribed to through self reflection and their knowledge of history. Today, the mechanisms through which white-guilt arise have been codified into a extrinsic, objective model of "proper thought" which can be applied to people, willing or not, like any religious or political philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates