Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 10:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I'm afraid this does not work. There is just too much ingrained behaviors in society where this type of statement doesn't even scratch the surface at getting anywhere towards not being racist.

When you don't have the life experience of someone else it's kind of hard to see things from their perspective. I had several middle and upper middle class black friends who had common experiences of getting stopped by police for no reason what so ever. I've only been stopped once in my whole life.

this video explains a part of it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9QBnPK6Yg
A question to you: do you seriously think that if African Americans had the same income level and crime stats as Asian Americans, the situation would be the same? I've heard many in the "white privilege" crowd try to dismiss the elephant in the room; the class aspect. People would say; "hey, it doesnt matter how rich a person is, if the person is black, he will be treated horribly by the police". And then they will point to police shootings (which really dont suggest what they want to suggest). If someone seriously believe that average income levels wont matter, they are seriously deluded. There is a reason why Asian Americans are far less afraid of the police than whites. They have higher incomes and much lower crime rates than whites. They have the least reason to fear the police.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
A question to you: do you seriously think that if African Americans had the same income level and crime stats as Asian Americans, the situation would be the same? I've heard many in the "white privilege" crowd try to dismiss the elephant in the room; the class aspect. People would say; "hey, it doesnt matter how rich a person is, if the person is black, he will be treated horribly by the police". And then they will point to police shootings (which really dont suggest what they want to suggest). If someone seriously believe that average income levels wont matter, they are seriously deluded. There is a reason why Asian Americans are far less afraid of the police than whites. They have higher incomes and much lower crime rates than whites. They have the least reason to fear the police.
Well, just because they were Black they were brought here as slaves.
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to drink at "white water fountains".
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to sit at lunch counters.
Just because they were Black they were subject to Jim Crow laws.
Just because they were Black they were lynched at otherwise unheard of numbers.
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to peacefully protest on a bridge.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, just because they were Black they were brought here as slaves.
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to drink at "white water fountains".
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to sit at lunch counters.
Just because they were Black they were subject to Jim Crow laws.
Just because they were Black they were lynched at otherwise unheard of numbers.
Just because they were Black they were not allowed to peacefully protest on a bridge.
If you look back, you would see that "Greek problems" and "Polish problems" were also consider major issues when the Greeks and Poles dominated the underclass in certain areas of the country. You race obsessed people simply refuse to talk about the elephant in the room. Its a class issue first and foremost. And ZERO progress is happening on that front. On the contrary; while people go on and on about how they want things to change, the top 1% who own the media are happy to divide people based on race, political affiliation, religion and other means. The middle class black person labeling the white poor disabled person as part of the privileged class does a great job at keeping this division going.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 PM

50,839 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
If you look back, you would see that "Greek problems" and "Polish problems" were also consider major issues when the Greeks and Poles dominated the underclass in certain areas of the country. You race obsessed people simply refuse to talk about the elephant in the room. Its a class issue first and foremost. And ZERO progress is happening on that front. On the contrary; while people go on and on about how they want things to change, the top 1% who own the media are happy to divide people based on race, political affiliation, religion and other means. The middle class black person labeling the white poor disabled person as part of the privileged class does a great job at keeping this division going.
This discussion is not about the Greeks.
It is not about the Poles.

We "race obsessed people"? If you look at almost all of the threads about this general topic, they are not started by people who are concerned with solving racial issues. They are started by Whites who are intent on not solving the issues.

I'm not in the top 1%, so I don't speak for them.

Is it a class issue? To some extent it is. But when Donald Trump put "C" on applications from "colored people" for housing units, he wasn't talking about class. He was talking about race and only race.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Sure, but socioeconomic class is pretty race agnostic. You get to be a 1%er by having the good fortune to be born smart, healthy, and with parents who impart an education and work ethic to you. Go walk around the Harvard or MIT campus. Or Stanford. Or UC Berkeley. It's stuffed full of brown people and yellow people from India and Asia. Most of them grew up in very modest circumstances. That's your 1%ers 30 years from now. The advantage someone born to the white upper middle class has is good parents and probably some good genetic luck to be born smart and healthy. The advantage is parenting, not huge piles of wealth.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:08 AM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Every Black person and person of color I know, doesn't want or need "white guilt." If fact, "white guilt" is something made up in the minds of white people.

What is needed is awareness, understanding, and taking responsibility for one's part in a racist system and the perpetuation of racism.
Something only white people are expected to do. In other words, 'white guilt.'

Old 10-14-2017, 04:37 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It may be long expired to you, but those people still live with the effects of forced reservation living. herding Native Americans onto reservations is not different than herding blacks into ghettos was. Generations later they are still caught in a cycle of poverty few escape from. And now we are about to make it worse, by taking the land we GAVE them for their stupid Russian steel pipeline. The pipe line WAS originally to go through a white area, and when those people balked, they moved it to the reservations, and when THOSE people balked, they got hosed with high pressure fire hoses in sub zero degree weather. See how everyone is not treated the same??

^^^ This ^^^

Old 10-14-2017, 04:41 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:

We "race obsessed people"? If you look at almost all of the threads about this general topic, they are not started by people who are concerned with solving racial issues. They are started by Whites who are intent on not solving the issues.

Is it a class issue? To some extent it is. But when Donald Trump put "C" on applications from "colored people" for housing units, he wasn't talking about class. He was talking about race and only race.

Many years ago, probably around 1987 or so I worked for a temp agency. It was a small company, just three people. The owner, a white woman, put a distinguishing mark on the application of any minority so if we had a company that wanted only a white person we were only to send them white people. And this was only 30 years ago! Don't know if that company is still around, I left and then reported her; not sure if she was ever investigated or not.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Many years ago, probably around 1987 or so I worked for a temp agency. It was a small company, just three people. The owner, a white woman, put a distinguishing mark on the application of any minority so if we had a company that wanted only a white person we were only to send them white people. And this was only 30 years ago! Don't know if that company is still around, I left and then reported her; not sure if she was ever investigated or not.
I know and know of people who refused to hire or work with blacks. That's on them. Not on me or other whites. In the old days, not so old really, Ivy League schools discriminated against Jews. So did Wall St. companies. 19th century signs said, "Irish need not apply." Italians didn't have it easy, either.

Discrimination is an individual failing not a racial one. Or if it is a racial one all races are guilty of it. e.g., the Japanese hate and discriminate against Koreans even though there is virtually no genetic difference between them.

Racial guilt has a long and evil history of which the Final Solution was the ultimate expression. Ultimately that is the only end to which the racial guilt road runs.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Its a class issue. You would have the same situation for Greeks and Poles in certain areas of the country some decades ago about housing discrimination for example. Both white. As long as they dominated the underclass, you would have this. Things didnt change by demonizing non-Poles as privileged bigots out to get the Poles, but by Poles no longer dominating the underclass. Why do you think the corporate media, owned by the top 0.01% are so happy to divide people up with these race obsessed topics, while refusing to talk about the elephant in the room; the class divide? These race baiting issues are no threat to the power of the economic elite in America, because they of course know that nothing will really change because of this. You are not part of the top 1% but the rhetoric used is a gift to the top 1% who are very happy to see the bottom 99% divided. When you label an entire ethnic group as a privileged undeserving group who need to pay a price, you are stoking the flames of division. Its an age old tactic.

You wont see ANY change as long as the massive class divide in America continues. America is the only country without a public health care system and a proper public safety net. It causes massive suffering and despair for all people, regardless of skin color. Education is expensive and is funded in a way that is highly beneficial for the elite. This is a perfect recipe for riling people up about "race X" being responsible for the problems in society, and that rhetoric is what we are seeing. Meanwhile, the ruling class of America will continue to rule with an iron fist.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-14-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates