Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
It can most certainly can be taken away. Will it? Not likely.

Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress;
No. It can not. That was the entire point of the Constitution.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Just remember those of you who are gleefully trying to ban guns what just happened at the high school in FL.
While the shooter was inside killing people the LEO's (FOUR OF 'EM) were hiding outside. Yep, those same LEO's that people are "supposed" to depend on,give up their guns for and call to save their very lives were HIDING BEHIND THEIR CARS and a concrete pillar waiting.

No thank you very much.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just remember those of you who are gleefully trying to ban guns what just happened at the high school in FL.
While the shooter was inside killing people the LEO's (FOUR OF 'EM) were hiding outside. Yep, those same LEO's that people are "supposed" to depend on,give up their guns for and call to save their very lives were HIDING BEHIND THEIR CARS and a concrete pillar waiting.

No thank you very much.
I'm obviously pro gun. But, don't give the other side ammo with a comment like that.

Nowhere in print, or on TV fake news, or not, was there any mention of 4 LEOs. ONLY ONE who didn't do his job

1st rule of debates, always tell the truth and don't embellish

Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I would say raising the legal purchage age to 21 of any firearm would be an easy and effective deterrent and very easy to enforce. 25 would be even better but I know that isn't realistic. The fact is these high profile shootings are generally always young males in their teens or early 20's. Men that age aren't even really fit to be called men yet, at least not in the way we raise them 'round here these days. Back when most boys had fathers they knew would kick their a*s if they got too far out of line or brought shame to the family, you could maybe trust an 18 year old with some heavier responsibilities but not these days. Young men are generally idiots with poor decision making skills and impulse control. I know this all to well because I was one not that far long ago. (Watch how they drive if you need any further convincing.) So without digressing too far, you play the stall tactic on this one and keep the guns away from the 18,19,20 years old males as much as you can and the odds are that will pan you out a noticeable net reduction in gun violence without infringing too much of the rest of the population's right to own them. But it just really can't be overstated how big of a factor age is in contributing to poor decisions being made. (I wish it were as easy to keep uteruses locked up until 21 lol)

There's the point of deterrent and then there's defense.

Let's say you're a sophomore cheerleader for State. Face it, you're a target for some group of nuts out there.

And face it, that there are many out there who think it is more important to keep guns out of the hands of some unknown out there than for you being able to defend yourself.

If I was in that boat, I'd be angry and pissed!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:39 AM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I'm flabbergasted by how easy it is to spread misinformation. Fake news CNN, and others like Facebook are protected by the first amendment, so there not much one can do except tune out.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm obviously pro gun. But, don't give the other side ammo with a comment like that.

Nowhere in print, or on TV fake news, or not, was there any mention of 4 LEOs. ONLY ONE who didn't do his job

1st rule of debates, always tell the truth and don't embellish
As a former judge of several Speech and Debate events I'd say:

1st rule of debate, KNOW what you're talking about.
Reading is your friend.

Quote:
Not one but four sheriff’s deputies hid behind cars instead of storming Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland, Fla., during Wednesday’s school shooting, police claimed Friday — as newly released records revealed the Broward County Sheriff’s Office had received at least 18 calls about the troubled teen over the past decade.
https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-s...hool-shooting/

Quote:
When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/polit...ies/index.html

Old 02-24-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I'm flabbergasted by how easy it is to spread misinformation. Fake news CNN, and others like Facebook are protected by the first amendment, so there not much one can do except tune out.
I'm flabbergasted at people who refuse to actually look for information before accusing others of wrongdoing,lying or making things up...

Bandwagon pulling out, better go jump on it quick!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I would say raising the legal purchage age to 21 of any firearm
And no on over the age of 65 can own firearms. Why? Because the Vegas shooter was over that age. Every time there is a shooting, people try to ban whatever the last shooter was using or doing or looked like. If he had a Glock, we'd be talking abut banning handguns and magazines.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And no on over the age of 65 can own firearms. Why? Because the Vegas shooter was over that age. Every time there is a shooting, people try to ban whatever the last shooter was using or doing or looked like. If he had a Glock, we'd be talking abut banning handguns and magazines.
That never ends in some places. It's just that right now it's on a back burner.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I’m not missing the point, you are.

For one, I’m not arguing against guns. I’m not making any type of argument like that here at all. But if I were to make an argument like that, I would argue for more regulations to try to ensure that guns, at least certain guns, cannot legally fall into the hands of certain people. I’m also not trying to make certain guns look unique. I was talking specifically about the Parkland shooting.

Two, yet again you’re getting hung up on ridiculous technicalities as an attempted distraction. MY point is that NO ONE CARES about any technicalities when 17 kids just died last week, again, in school, in 6 minutes. When 60 died at a concert months ago. When 20 6 year olds died 5 years ago. The important discussion is not whether the weapons used were semiautomatic or automatic or the technicalities of the bullets used. It’s simply that people, kids, are dying far too often in places they shouldn’t be, after doing nothing wrong, at the hands of the types of people who should not be allowed to have such weapons in the first place given their obvious instability. THAT is the important part of the discussion.
It is impossible to regulate enough to stop these “rare” type shootings without “major” infringements on the people. Our current prevention had the tools in place, yet dropped the ball. What was also exposed again was the lack of timely response by those “hoped” to intervene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates