Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times

Advertisements

He keeps saying "...an AR15 Assault Rifle, an AR15 Assault Rifle...". Very dramatic and also, no such animal.

The AR-15 is NOT an Assault Rifle!!!!

Assault Rifle is a technical term to refer to a rifle that among other characteristics must support burst or full automatic fire. The AR-15 is a generic term for a sporting rifle that is designed to look and function like an M16 or M4, except that is semi-automatic only.

With the exception of military, and possibly police, full automatic fire is illegal for any citizen to buy, sell or possess.

But I guess it helps prove a point when people flat out lie, or rely on our ignorance.

Maybe we should all go point at a horse and yell, "...a unicorn, a unicorn, a unicorn..."

Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is the problem. I should say people who think like you are the problem.

The Second Amendment gives us a right to keep and bear arms. That right has been interpreted by the Supreme Court in the Heller case as giving individuals the right to keep and bear arms. However, that very decision makes it clear that states have the right to regulate keeping and bearing arms.

Those who doubt this should review what the Supreme Court did earlier this week. It refused to hear the appeal of a case from California where a long waiting period on the purchase of firearms is in place. The court is emphasizing that under Heller states may indeed impose waiting periods and other restrictions on the purchase of firearms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/u...purchases.html

When the Founding Fathers framed the Constitution the only guns in existence were single shot flintlock muskets and pistols. I suspect if they had known that by 1900, technology would have progressed to the point of semi-automatic and fully automatic rifles the Second Amendment might be written a bit differently.

Put simply, if states want to regulate the usage of certain types of arms it would fall within the Heller decision and the Second Amendment.

Let's be a bit logical here. If we carry the Second Amendment out literally we cannot constitutionally prevent eight year olds' or those with a criminal record from purchasing assault rifles. This doesn't fly and anyone with an IQ above 72 knows it.

Even though an individual right to bear arms exists, it is like everything else. It is subject to some qualification. The same is true of free speech rights, freedom of the press, and even freedom of religion. Gun rights are no more important than these.
The 2A is clear. It does not allow for the infringements proposed and that currently exist. As with alcohol, there is room for regulating the use. If you want to constitutionally ban access, you need an amendment. There are clearly infringements occurring that are tolerated, but don’t think for a second there isn’t a line to cross.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I cant understand why everyone is talking about AR15s, when the AK47 is the most widely used and mass produced assault weapon on the planet?!! The US is one of the largest arms dealers of this weapon to other countries, no one is asking for Ar15s or M16s, its the AK47 that is in demand.

Many AKs are sold at gun shows, flea markets, and private sales, its strange to hear everyone outraged at the AR15, when a much deadlier weapon is so easily accessible..I dont get it??.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I would say raising the legal purchage age to 21 of any firearm would be an easy and effective deterrent and very easy to enforce. 25 would be even better but I know that isn't realistic. The fact is these high profile shootings are generally always young males in their teens or early 20's. Men that age aren't even really fit to be called men yet, at least not in the way we raise them 'round here these days. Back when most boys had fathers they knew would kick their a*s if they got too far out of line or brought shame to the family, you could maybe trust an 18 year old with some heavier responsibilities but not these days. Young men are generally idiots with poor decision making skills and impulse control. I know this all to well because I was one not that far long ago. (Watch how they drive if you need any further convincing.) So without digressing too far, you play the stall tactic on this one and keep the guns away from the 18,19,20 years old males as much as you can and the odds are that will pan you out a noticeable net reduction in gun violence without infringing too much of the rest of the population's right to own them. But it just really can't be overstated how big of a factor age is in contributing to poor decisions being made. (I wish it were as easy to keep uteruses locked up until 21 lol)
I hope you intend to advocate that we only recruit 21 and older into the army as well. Surely those who join the army at 18-20 are incompetent to do so. Btw, I bought my first rifle at 18, it has never been used improperly.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

With the exception of military, and possibly police, full automatic fire is illegal for any citizen to buy, sell or possess.
I agree with you about the AR15, but with the above, heroin and cocaine are also illegal to buy, sell or possess, but most cities and states are deep in heroin epidemics right now, so being illegal does not really matter ultimately.

For proof of this, look at how ineffective the 1986 automatic weapons ban is...full auto machine guns are available at just about every flea market in my state!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree with you about the AR15, but with the above, heroin and cocaine are also illegal to buy, sell or possess, but most cities and states are deep in heroin epidemics right now, so being illegal does not really matter ultimately.

For proof of this, look at how ineffective the 1986 automatic weapons ban is...full auto machine guns are available at just about every flea market in my state!

Because the Florida School shooter used an AR15. And you see how well that war on drugs has worked out, right?

Fully automated AK-47 is a problem, but not that many should be available from 1986. Its not like everyone ran right out to buy one. If criminals are importing them, again, we need enforcement.

Also, fully and semi automated weapons are prone to malfunctions, especially over time. Personally I wouldn't use one that dates from 1986. Tbh, I wouldn't use one at all.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM

This is what happens when governments infringe on 2A rights.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...ermit.amp.html

Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

Fully automated AK-47 is a problem, but not that many should be available from 1986. .
You do realize the AK47 is the most mass produced and widely used assault weapon on the planet...right?

Its almost comical to think just because there is a law against them, there are not 10s of 1000s if not more in the hands of private owners, all over the country.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You do realize the AK47 is the most mass produced and widely used assault weapon on the planet...right?

Its almost comical to think just because there is a law against them, there are not 10s of 1000s if not more in the hands of private owners, all over the country.
Let's say you are correct. What about it? Obviously there aren't 10s of 1000s of legal owners running around terrorizing their fellow citizens with them. Even the nut jobs don't know, unless they read this discussion, lol.

But, as I said, semi-automatic weapons are dangerous, to their owner/user. They jam and a lot of shooting accidents happen due to malfunction. One made in 1986 a criminal might be proud to wield, but I wouldn't touch it.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
The 2A is clear. It does not allow for the infringements proposed and that currently exist. As with alcohol, there is room for regulating the use. If you want to constitutionally ban access, you need an amendment. There are clearly infringements occurring that are tolerated, but don’t think for a second there isn’t a line to cross.
What actions do you contend would be unconstitutional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates