Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 01:28 AM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

America has the highest percentage of immigrants of any country in the world and the highest number. We've done our job, we have skin in the game, case closed. Pat ourselves on the back. No one will ever come close to it

https://cis.org/sites/cis.org/files/...on-highest.png

This notion that we need more immigrants while inner cities are war zones, our public schools are atrocious, our obesity rate is sky high, and people can't even find jobs is hilarious.

Now it's far better to be poor in America than to be poor in Mexico, just don't get upset when all these immigrants become a public charge to taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
There is a bill pending in congress to address visa over stayers so yes there is an interest.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/643/text

Old 08-26-2018, 10:26 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The premise is false. We need more immigrants because it benefits current Americans.

The U.S. became the richest, most powerful country in the history of the planet specifically because of immigrants.
If only you knew the rage I felt every time I hear/read a regressive parade this falsehood around as if it was gospel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
America has the highest percentage of immigrants of any country in the world and the highest number. We've done our job, we have skin in the game, case closed. Pat ourselves on the back. No one will ever come close to it

This notion that we need more immigrants while inner cities are war zones, our public schools are atrocious, our obesity rate is sky high, and people can't even find jobs is hilarious.

Now it's far better to be poor in America than to be poor in Mexico, just don't get upset when all these immigrants become a public charge to taxpayers.
It should have ended 30 years ago - right after Reagan committed treason and "legalized" 4+ million illegal re-conquistadors.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is a bill pending in congress to address visa over stayers so yes there is an interest.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/643/text
After 18 months with no action that bill is not going anywhere.

Also see no way it helps. Adding criminal penalties to a law you are not enforcing makes little sense.

And criminalizing what is often an administrative snafu is not going to do anyone any good. It is reasonably common to have problems with renewals of commercial visas and such that result in short term over stays but are routinely cleared up.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:47 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

So you're telling us that if we stop illegal immigration (which I think we should), and deport all illegal immigrants, that our cities will stop being "war zones" (which is hyperbole to begin with), our public schools will suddenly improve, our obesity rate will plummet (for the life of me I don't see what our obesity rate has to do with immigration), and all the homeless people will suddenly go to work. That's quite a claim.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The premise is false. We need more immigrants because it benefits current Americans.

The U.S. became the richest, most powerful country in the history of the planet specifically because of immigrants.
This is a case of that was then and this is now.

There was a time when I think you could make a case for the country needing more immigrants. That time is past. Now we have dwindling resources, particularly water.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
If only you knew the rage I felt every time I hear/read a regressive parade this falsehood around as if it was gospel...

It should have ended 30 years ago - right after Reagan committed treason and "legalized" 4+ million illegal re-conquistadors.

Agreed, and it wasn't just immigrants that built this country but native born citizens also. At this time we really don't need many new immigrants as there is a shortage of jobs and resources and our population has grown to over 320 million now. Using economic growth as an excuse for us to be crammed in like sardines all vying for the same piece of pie is not my idea of a great lifestyle. I have always been for a smaller population to fit a smaller economy. Much healthier for everyone.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:00 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Getting back to the "rights" of American citizens versus those of non-citizens. I wanted to share something that happened to me at the DMV just recently.

I sold two of the three cars I had on CL last week. I had been trying to sell them for over a month and I sold them both.

But that wasn't the strange thing. The second buyer, a Latino fella who told me he was going to take the car/SUV to El Salvador, or something like that. No harm, no foul. I told him I didn't care what he did with the car after I sold it to him.

So when we got the DMV, I went there thinking this guy probably isn't going to be able to buy it because MN just passed a law within the last year that a BUYER has to have insurance on a car they don't even own yet (try figuring that bureaucratic crap out if you can..) but to my surprise, they let him do nothing! Not show insurance, or anything like that, and they even let him take the original title.

I don't know if I'm losing my mind or not, but I could have sworn that I was forced to have proof of insurance before I bought, and I sure as heck didn't get to walk out with the original title the last couple cars I've bought.

What I'm saying is...bureaucrats apparently have now given more leeway to non-citizens than their very own tax-paying citizens.

Whatever. He paid me, and that is that. But never underestimate our government for acting like first rate -ss--les to their very own tax-paying citizens and giving more leeway to non-Americans.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The problem with e-verify is that we still have to have the stomach to deport those that don't "check out." Easier said than done, particularly if they have child offspring born in the U.S.
Not only that but have to add the severe penalties AND actually apply them to the owners/managers when they violate EVerify.
Had they arrested and JAILED the people responsible for the various corporate meat processing plants that've been raided in just the last 2 years and emptied of illegal workers a very powerful message would've been sent.

I'd guess the first few perp walked execs on national TV would stop most illegal hiring and force at least a start of reverse immigration/self deportation.

Cutting all but basic life saving medical services followed by deportation would also add to the self deportation.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
CRIMINAL felony charges against business owners who hire illegals...
along with the burden to identify them (eVerify or not).

Put a few owners on trial and send just ONE to prison? Problem solved.
No fence needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates