Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
DNA is not limited to man-made political boundaries.
Such as how a tribe in Africa could have the distinctive DNA markers of the Judaic priest lineage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
DNA is not limited to man-made political boundaries.
Western Africa is a geographical place, not a "man made political boundary." And it's safe to say that the vast majority of folks from western Africa have dark skin.

All I was saying was that it surprised me that my Nordic looking husband had all sorts of DNA show up in him, while I - with my dark hair and eyes - didn't have anything show up from any region other than countries surrounding the North Sea. Not a smidgen of Native American, Jewish, African, not even southern European.

It was interesting. I never thought of it as something political or even particularly socioeconomic - just something interesting. You can't steal my fun.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-27-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Western Africa is a geographical place, not a "man made political boundary." And it's safe to say that the vast majority of folks from western Africa have dark skin.

All I was saying was that it surprised me that my Nordic looking husband had all sorts of DNA show up in him, while I - with my dark hair and eyes - didn't have anything show up from any region other than countries surrounding the North Sea. Not a smidgen of Native American, Jewish, African, not even southern European.

It was interesting. I never thought of it as something political or even particularly socioeconomic - just something interesting. You can't steal my fun.
Perhaps you need to go back and read your own post. You mentioned not only "Western Africa" but also "nations".

Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you need to go back and read your own post. You mentioned not only "Western Africa" but also "nations".
Not regarding my husband's western African DNA, which is what you were responding to. Here's the post:

Quote:
me: Originally Posted by KathrynAragon

All it said was 2 percent western African - that encompasses a lot of nations - LOL.

you: DNA is not limited to man-made political boundaries.

Why is this such a big deal to you anyway?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:14 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not regarding my husband's western African DNA, which is what you were responding to. Here's the post:

Quote:
me: Originally Posted by KathrynAragon

All it said was 2 percent western African - that encompasses a lot of nations - LOL.

you: DNA is not limited to man-made political boundaries.

Why is this such a big deal to you anyway?
So it's a big enough deal to you to post, but not a big enough deal for me to respond.

Interesting way of thinking.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
So it's a big enough deal to you to post, but not a big enough deal for me to respond.

Interesting way of thinking.
LOL you are trying to argue this with me and you're trying to twist my words to say something I didn't say. I think THAT is an interesting way of thinking.

No, as I mull it over, I take that back. It's uninteresting. Have a nice weekend.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Now that I think about it, the "unwritten one drop rule" probably still applies for census demographics in public K-12 schools

If you have 100 mixed race (1 black parent and 1 white parent) students in a school will they all be considered white? No. Will they be considered black or mixed race? Yes.

The only "issue" in this country with people calling themselves mixed race is then a person wants to know with what races they are mixed with. If a person is half white half Asian, they'll probably just self identity with asian or mixed.

I really can't think of any other institution where racial classification is a significant factor.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,449 times
The thing is, the idea of what white even means is changing all the time. So your thoughts on stars who are part black and accepted as white or just normal is based on how people see people in the US nowadays.

A great book to really explain the history of the white thing is Whiteness of Different Color. There is some idea generally that Irish, English, Italians, etc. are white but no out of all I mentioned only the English would be considered white 100 years ago. The cartoons in the book are pretty disturbing. They would draw the Irish as looking identical as the black people, that was how much they were hated and put down. The idea of whiteness was the most important thing. Then when more people arrived from other countries suddenly the Italians and the Irish were seen as white-voila!

https://www.theroot.com/when-the-iri...ite-1793358754
https://books.google.com/books/about...d=ddNjJ0QP-JwC

Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! This is what bugged me about President Obama. He is 50% white but played up his black heritage and ignored his white heritage. He was called our first "black" president when in reality, he should have referred to as our first "mixed-race" president.
Maybe in today's PC atmosphere many people might see him as "mixed race."

But look when the man was born and raised for Pete's sake! He would have considered "colored" or "Negro" by the vast majority of white people. He would not have grown up as "mixed race" believe me.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:49 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
The thing is, the idea of what white even means is changing all the time. So your thoughts on stars who are part black and accepted as white or just normal is based on how people see people in the US nowadays.
The appearance of success in the entertainment field is misleading. Seventy years ago, someone might have thought Lena Horne was an interracial success--she was seen in some movies, white people bought her recordings, white people went to see her perform in white-only night clubs.

But she wasn't allowed to use the restrooms even in the clubs she performed it--she had to pee in a paper cup.

Quote:
A great book to really explain the history of the white thing is Whiteness of Different Color. There is some idea generally that Irish, English, Italians, etc. are white but no out of all I mentioned only the English would be considered white 100 years ago.
The Irish and the Italians did, however, get issued their "white cards" when the codification of racial purity in the United States through the 1920s to 1960s legally identified them as white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates