Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Do you see any psychological issues in how some citizens immediately start acting in public against cops, or is it just one’s right to act like a wild animal for little to no reason?
Unless youre living in a bubble, you must know that citizens dont get paid to stick to a certain kind of conduct. it is their right to act like a wild animal, as stupid as it is. Citizens also dont get any kind of training on how to deal with cops, and what police can actually do and not do. So hopefully youre not surprised at the results you get dealing with an uneducated public.

That said, we all know there are people out there off their meds giving you guys a hard time, and not admitting they committed crimes, but if that didnt exist you wouldnt have a job. And having that job means, as much as there are people out there that act like they were raised by wolves, because of past experiences, some of them still have it in their minds that any interaction with police will result in them getting abused.

So hopefully you are trying to de-escalate the situation and explain to them that wont always happen, and what to do if it does. Of course if you have tried that numerous times already and it didnt work, you should actually express that. If you stay with the mindset that you dont have to explain yourself, then you are contributing to the bigger problem.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:19 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please cite the bolded.
Why should I? This thread is full of unsubstantiated claims, including “all cops are bastards.” Take your demands elsewhere.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 09-02-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If a cop gives a lawful order then must comply, failure to do so results in an arrest and charge of "failure to obey a police officer" and "obstructing a police officer." You can hate cops all you want, but it's best not to be ignorant of the videos you are watching and what gives cops the 100% right to arrest/take you down.

America's cops are low paid and they deal with low life scum all day. They're not interested in arguing with you, they're just going to arrest you and I support that 100%.

The pure disrespect that citizens have for cops only justifies their actions even more. They are serving their community and we in turn treat them like pure crap. Unless you plan to be a cop, you have no room to judge.

So yes, what you do or say to a cop DOES warrant a beat down because cops are not going to sit back and take that bullcrap from the scum of society who they have to look for, arrest, or capture every single day. I don't see anyone here patrolling soutside Chicago.
I'll bet your one of those constitution-waving types... even though you openly admit here that you care not one iota about due process.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
So hopefully you are trying to de-escalate the situation and explain to them that wont always happen, and what to do if it does. Of course if you have tried that numerous times already and it didnt work, you should actually express that. If you stay with the mindset that you dont have to explain yourself, then you are contributing to the bigger problem.
Nothing matters anymore except that which is on camera, which is why some of us are slowly policing again.

We’re now protected not only by our own cameras, but possibly numerous others if backup is present.

I just wish they had come sooner. I transferred from a much more active location specifically to protect my career from these issues. In hindsight, I could’ve stayed. Lol

How an officer is actually acting hasn’t mattered in a long time. The media, citizenry, and even politicians have showed a propensity for outright lies against the police as a matter of course at least since Obama’s “acted stupidly” remark, but even more so since Ferguson. While cameras won’t change that mindset, they at least offer indisputable legal protection, which as I said earlier, has already itself come under scrutiny for demolishing the industry we like to call the “ghetto lottery” here.

The NYPD hasn’t been “reigned in.” It’s just much tougher to make false claims when you run the risk of being confronted by a video which clearly refutes one’s claims. Statistics clearly show that “bad cops” are an extreme outlier, but few care to recognize those stats. Regardless, it no longer matters.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why should I? This thread is full of unsubstantiated claims, including “all cops are bastards.” Take your demands elsewhere.
1. I think that means you can't cite supporting studies.
2. Demand? I said "please".
3. Are you this confrontational on duty?

Old 09-02-2018, 12:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
I know a cop, and he says that a lot of people will try to say insulting things to him to tray to bait him into a fight, hoping that they will be beaten and can then report it to get out of legal trouble.

He says he always keeps his cool and never lets insults gets to him and does not take it personally. I think that is what some other officers have to do as well, and just not let it get to them, like you see or read about sometimes.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Are there police officers that go rogue? Yes. Are there police officers that fall through the cracks that shouldn't be police officers? Yes. They are a small minority. You can be hyperbolic and paranoid, or you can just be a hater. My husband retired after nearly 30 years of service. I fell in love with him because he was a steady and reliable person. He was the same on the job. He was a Cook county jail guard before he was hired on his department. Different people require different was of being dealt with. You will never understand dealing with that mentality because you will be the one calling societies garbage men and women to handle it for you. Until you walk the walk and live the lifestyle, you will never understand the toll it takes on people. Some of them will snap and the best way to prevent that is if we do our part and be respectful. Don't act like a rectum and chances are you will be treated with respect. They all want to go home after their shift, and unfortunately, some won't. That's a lot of baggage to carry around every day at work for decades.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I think that means you can't cite supporting studies.
2. Demand? I said "please".
3. Are you this confrontational on duty?
Confrontational? Come on, now you’re just proving my point to why cops NEED cameras.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:14 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
Not all police are bad of course, it's just the ones that make the newspapers and media are the bad ones, cause the media likes those stories that can sell.

I got stuck in the snow while driving once, and a cop came and helped push me out. Now he didn't have to do that. And it never made the media that a good Samaritan cop, came and helped push me out of the snow. Because the media only wants to report on the bad ones, cause crime stories are news, where as police being good, is not news really.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:15 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Are there police officers that go rogue? Yes. Are there police officers that fall through the cracks that shouldn't be police officers? Yes. They are a small minority. You can be hyperbolic and paranoid, or you can just be a hater. My husband retired after nearly 30 years of service. I fell in love with him because he was a steady and reliable person. He was the same on the job. He was a Cook county jail guard before he was hired on his department. Different people require different was of being dealt with. You will never understand dealing with that mentality because you will be the one calling societies garbage men and women to handle it for you. Until you walk the walk and live the lifestyle, you will never understand the toll it takes on people. Some of them will snap and the best way to prevent that is if we do our part and be respectful. Don't act like a rectum and chances are you will be treated with respect. They all want to go home after their shift, and unfortunately, some won't. That's a lot of baggage to carry around every day at work for decades.

Chances are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates