Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
No, no, no, that was not a hypothetical. You offered it as fact that a woman can "sign away" her responsibility for a full-term baby, while a man can't. That was inaccurate. Neither can unilaterally sign away his or her responsibility once the child is born.
Then male choice is OK as long as he unilaterally signs away his rights before the child is born?

As to your question which never gets answered:
Make contacting a child after disclaiming responsibility a crime.
Insist the mother never tells her child who fathered him.
Create a contractual relationship (enforceable in law and equity) where the father disclaims any future relationship with the child, the consequence being 18 years arrears based on the father's highest income level during the child's lifetime. Or double child support, whatever.

There are plenty of ways to "force" someone to act in a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,537 times
what many of you miss, and i will reiterate again, is a father has almost no rights.

I see alot of "oh well a man should no better" and "oh it takes two", but very few are looking into the deeper issue. and that is a global social injustice against men.

I know first hand the sexist ways of the court. my father never got custody, even though it was clear he was more responsible, more economically sound (and although the judge couldnt have known this) a better person all around.

Why did he lose? obvious. because its a man. we see this time and time again, in a number of examples.

rape for instance has the highest amount of false reports than any other crime, but is there any special protection? And what is the punishment for these women when found lieing? Nothin. look on youtube. their sentences range from something like 8 months to 0. dont get me wrong. i think rapists should be killed, im just giving an example of one of the "media stereotypes" they have given men.

anyways the point is if a man has no right to tell the women during her pregnancy, keep it or get rid of it, why the hell should he ahve the responsibility after of paying for it, or of feelign liek **** cause his child ahs been killed

Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Dr. Phil is way too nosy and opinionated for his own good. (regarding his TV show)

Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dr. Phil is way too nosy and opinionated for his own good. (regarding his TV show)
ummm how can you be nosy on your own tv show....or opinionated.. that show is basically about finding problems (being nosy) and to help someone yu have to know the facts (notice that dr. phil never actually promises to solve all the problems. he often refers them to other physcolocists and councilors).

its like saying "theres too many damn sports on the sports channel"

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Then male choice is OK as long as he unilaterally signs away his rights before the child is born?

As to your question which never gets answered:
Make contacting a child after disclaiming responsibility a crime.
Insist the mother never tells her child who fathered him.
Create a contractual relationship (enforceable in law and equity) where the father disclaims any future relationship with the child, the consequence being 18 years arrears based on the father's highest income level during the child's lifetime. Or double child support, whatever.
That sounds fair to me -- except I would specify that contacting a child at any time during that child's life, even past the age of majority would be a crime and would not require the child as the complainant. But how many "men's choice" advocates would sign up for this?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Leongk: If you give the man the power to decide how to use the woman's body with respect to pregnancy, then you have to give the woman the right to force the man to donate his organs if the child needs them. Fair enough?

Re. your father never getting custody: Latest research demonstrates that when men do seek custody, they have a higher chance of getting it than women. But of course, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Re. false rape reporting: Failure to convict does not mean the report of the rape was false. When women whose alleged attackers are acquitted don't get prosecuted, it's most likely because those alleged attackers don't want to press charges. And the reason they don't want to press charges isn't because they are being chivalrous, but because they most likely did commit the rape, and prosecuting the victim for a false report would (1) give her an opportunity to prove the truth of her allegations; and (2) force the rapist to take the stand and be subjected to cross-examination, something he didn't have to do when he was the defendant.

"Global injustice", right. Try arguing with folks who think your uterus belongs to the State -- now, that's injustice.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 PM

says the person who cannot spell correctly.

Dr. Phil has a conceited attitude he needs to get over himself. He tries to help people loose weight but is super fat himself. please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
ummm how can you be nosy on your own tv show....or opinionated.. that show is basically about finding problems (being nosy) and to help someone yu have to know the facts (notice that dr. phil never actually promises to solve all the problems. he often refers them to other physcolocists and councilors).

its like saying "theres too many damn sports on the sports channel"

Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
says the person who cannot spell correctly.

Dr. Phil has a conceited attitude he needs to get over himself. He tries to help people loose weight but is super fat himself. please.
how does my ability to not give a crap and write as fast as possible effect my opinion that your opinion has no basis. first he was noisy, now he's conceited? can you give me an example of this?

first of all dr phil isnt super fat? are you blind? hes a big person yes but i would say not overweight.

yet more BS. does his ability to knwo about foods, calories, carbs, ect mean that he himself cant get fat?

i know what i have to do to get skinnier. drink more water, do more cardio, eat less surgary and fatty foods and eat more vegtables. does that automatically mean I hve to be skinny to know these things? thats actually the most retarded thing ive ever heard

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 PM

He thinks he is better than everybody

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Leongk: If you give the man the power to decide how to use the woman's body with respect to pregnancy, then you have to give the woman the right to force the man to donate his organs if the child needs them. Fair enough?

Re. your father never getting custody: Latest research demonstrates that when men do seek custody, they have a higher chance of getting it than women. But of course, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Re. false rape reporting: Failure to convict does not mean the report of the rape was false. When women whose alleged attackers are acquitted don't get prosecuted, it's most likely because those alleged attackers don't want to press charges. And the reason they don't want to press charges isn't because they are being chivalrous, but because they most likely did commit the rape, and prosecuting the victim for a false report would (1) give her an opportunity to prove the truth of her allegations; and (2) force the rapist to take the stand and be subjected to cross-examination, something he didn't have to do when he was the defendant.

"Global injustice", right. Try arguing with folks who think your uterus belongs to the State -- now, that's injustice.
yet again you use irrelevant things to support your arguement. a baby and abortion is unlike anything. you cant "compare it" to organ donoring, because the two are like apple and oranges. it takes two to have a child, and its also just chance that a women happens to be the carrier. the man isnt "using" the womans body. a part of him (half actually) is in that baby.

Ill agree with you, a man should ahve no right to tell a women what to do. IF, he also has no responsibility afterwards.

they have a higher chance of custody? im going to need these stats. ill be honest mine are based of many of my friends, who 90% of the time it was the mom. im going to look for some stats too.

In cases of false rape the man cant "press charges". its up to the state. lieing under oath is not an offence that someone can "press charges for" or if that is not the case, it is still the police who charge the women with "filing a false report of rape"

what is this BS about men not pressing charges?? you totally just made all that crap up. if your going to lie try and do it a little better.

also false rape carries a maximum penalty of a 500$ fine and up to a year in jail.. wow that sounds fair for ruining a mans life..

that there is the injustice. honestly, i have no sympathy for rapists, i think they should be killed (but thats another thread) however me being a man, i think its important that this sort of thing is fair, and that a guy like me could potentially have his reputation ruined, and jail for 10 years?

and she gets what? a slap on the hand? not only does this hurt the men but also other women, who want to file legitimate charges.

unfortunately, it gives me a general feeling that is alot less sympathetic to women. it really is unfortune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates