Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM

207 posts, read 279,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Context. The reply you refer to was written in response to this...

The individual decides...until the government runs the private sector this is how it will be...it's called Freedom.

In actuality, any individual operating a business as a public accommodation gives up a substantial amount of "Freedom". The Virginia law that permits pharmacists to refuse any prescription for any reason explains why the Chantilly store is not currently being prosecuted. It is not a protection against its eventually being sued.
This, my friends, is called a leftist PC adjenda. This is what is way wrong with America. If I were a pharmacist, and someone wanted the morning after pill, and I were FORCED to fill the Rx, it is a violation of my rights. So, ultimately one person's rights are violated and the loser of the situation feels the need to sue. Are there ANY other pharmacies in the surrounding area? If that pharmacy refuses to fill your Rx because the drug is not on hand or they do not offer it, why not try elsewhere? That is what the rational person would do. Or just call the ACLU & see how much your plight is worth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM

207 posts, read 279,853 times
Default Thanks for your intelligence comrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
You obviously do not own your own business...this is about choices...this pharmacy owner has the right to choose what product he carries in his store regardless of the reasoning for it. I do not believe it is right for him to sit in judgment of the patients he refuses to serve but it is his right as a business owner to decide what stock he will carry.

There are pharmacies that will not dispense Ritalin because of the black label warning and the pharmacy owner fears a possible adverse reaction in one of his patients...there are other pharmacies the patient can frequent.

Heck, my favorite boutique will not carry my favorite brand of shoes so I go elsewhere...the perks of living in America. Has nothing to do with discrimination and everything to do with choices.
Mr. Stewart I could not agree more! This is not about how to cheat someone out of a product they want - it is about owning a business where you have control of what you sell. But if the left control the the USA, you can bet the the perks of living in America will slowly disappear. Choice? No thanks - the government will decide what is best for everyone and there will be no deviation. The government will make you buy your drugs from them, and they will tell you what you must stock in your store. That way, no one gets hurt. We can all hold hands, hug and have one big feel good party. Get ready Comrade, the politically correct left is going to take us to a WHOLE new level!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I agree that businesses should be able control what they sell or the way they operate, but that is not always the case. There are always some regulations. Liquor stores cant sell beer, no smoking establishments, etc.

Some professions are held to a higher standard, licensed and regulated. I expect more from such business. Physicians, attorneys and pharmacists. When I have a legal problem, I expect the attorney to act in my best interest and defend me to the fullest extent of the law even if he doesn’t agree with my convictions, If I have medical concern, I expect the physician to act in my best interest and treat me according to my wishes. When I have a legal prescription, I expect the pharmacist to fill it. If I remember correctly, there is a separation of church and state. If your job requires a state license and you refuse to carry out your responsibilities in a way that will negatively effect another based on religious beliefs you should lose your license. Let the drug stores sell what they want, but if they refuse to fill certain prescriptions, they should not employ licensed pharmacists.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent thinker View Post
This, my friends, is called a leftist PC adjenda.
No, this is called stating the facts. The original post implied -- and you seem also to believe -- that the pharmacy in question is endowed with "Freedom". This is not the case. A pharmacy and every other business operating as a public accomodation is constrained by any number of laws. Owners do NOT have freedom to do whatever they want.

In the instant case, the pharmacy is protected by a Virginia law from any prosecution. Neither the pharmacy nor that law however is immune from civil suit. On account of circumstances, none is likely to be forthcoming here, but if the same principle were to be put forward in other circumstances where a substantial burden was placed on those holding a valid prescription which a pharmacy refuses to fill on religious grounds, then things would change.

The central fact remains either way. The "Freedom" of business owners is materially constrained by applicable law, and howls over whose agenda that might be do not change the fact in any way.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Any one can file a civil suit against anyone at anytime and there does not have to be a breach in any law to precipitate the suit...so yes, a pharmacy could easily be sued for not carrying the birth control pills, but the outcome would be another story.

We have a medical practice and we CHOOSE not to accept some insurance policies, we get complaints, but it is our choice...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
I would never force someone to compromise their beliefs for my own benefit and that's exactly what some posters on here are supporting. If a pharmacist does not want to supply certain "controversial" medicines to me then I can certainly respect their beliefs. Don't force people to do what they don't want to do. The person who wants to get their prescription filled has the freedom to go to the competitor of the unwilling pharmacist - protest with your money and leave it at that.

Last edited by mommabear2; 10-30-2008 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: word insertion for clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates