Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Armed robbery in Rutland at Rite Aid:

http://rutlandherald.com/article/200...98/1002/NEWS01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
"No one inside the store was injured, police said."

Only one of the reasons I won't carry a gun.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
"No one inside the store was injured, police said."

Only one of the reasons I won't carry a gun.
Could have turned out differently. As meth becomes a bigger problem you will begin to see more violence.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Could have turned out differently. As meth becomes a bigger problem you will begin to see more violence.
Could have, would have, might still. You're right -- anything could happen. And my contribution to it will not be more violence or threat of violence. We each get to choose.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Could have, would have, might still. You're right -- anything could happen. And my contribution to it will not be more violence or threat of violence. We each get to choose.
Well, that's your decision, that you're free to make. It would simply be a big mistake for a criminal to threaten me, especially with a weapon, though.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
Yes we do get to choose and I understand and respect those who are not comfortable handling a gun. However, even though incidents are relatively rare I carry as a precaution as experience has taught me you never know when you will run up against a situation where you are targeted as a potential victim and escape is not an option. My only concern in public places involves people with the right intent, but lack of experience who could make a mistake using deadly force in a hyper emotional event. Judgement and accuracy can be greatly diminished in such events, an example being the recent trooper shootings where they never either hit the intended target or totally missed the "A" zone. Not intending to mock or be critical of their actions, just showing how even folks with training and a mental expectation of having to use force will not perform to desired standard. As far as a perp being smoked out of his Filas, all I can say chalk one up for the good guys.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:13 PM

137 posts, read 407,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Yes we do get to choose and I understand and respect those who are not comfortable handling a gun. However, even though incidents are relatively rare I carry as a precaution as experience has taught me you never know when you will run up against a situation where you are targeted as a potential victim and escape is not an option. My only concern in public places involves people with the right intent, but lack of experience who could make a mistake using deadly force in a hyper emotional event. Judgement and accuracy can be greatly diminished in such events, an example being the recent trooper shootings where they never either hit the intended target or totally missed the "A" zone. Not intending to mock or be critical of their actions, just showing how even folks with training and a mental expectation of having to use force will not perform to desired standard. As far as a perp being smoked out of his Filas, all I can say chalk one up for the good guys.
I gotta go with flu on this one. I don't leave my house unless I have my weapon with me. It's not that I would ever want to go LOOKING for a gunfight........I'd just hate to MISS one!

All joking aside, I do carry my weapon, but it is only to protect myself, my family, or another person from being killed. I wouldn't go getting involved in a situation just because I have a weapon. 99.9 percent of the time, you are better off making yourself a very good witness. Leave the other stuff to the uniformed police officers that show up.

As Flu said, just carrying a weapon and shooting paper targets once every three years doesn't prepare a person for combat. I am a firearms instructor at my department. We train on a "stress course" each year. Even in a training environment, just a little stress will mess with your fine motor skills, give you tunnel vision, and effect how you shoot. I do quite well under the artificial stress, but in all honesty, I don't know how I would perform in a real situation where bullets are coming back at me. The only thing that can prepare me (or anyone else) is training and the will to win the battle. During stressful situations, good training will take over. Basically, if your going to carry a weapon make sure you are practicing with it frequently.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
As Flu said, just carrying a weapon and shooting paper targets once every three years doesn't prepare a person for combat. (SNIP) Basically, if your going to carry a weapon make sure you are practicing with it frequently.

I agree. I grew up in a house full of guns, always stored safely and handled properly.
Both my parents carry. I practiced on indoor and outdoor ranges with them regularly and passed several safety courses.

But that was many, many years ago. Knowing what it took for me to stay practiced and comfortable with deadly weapons is another reason I would not keep one around for self-defense -- it's just not something I want as an ongoing part of my life, which is the only way I'd feel safe doing it at all.

I sure did find target-shooting relaxing, however.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM

29 posts, read 78,577 times
Ok...had to chime in on this one. As a retired police officer, and a visitor (as of now) to Vermont, I'd have to say that guns in the hand of those with training can possibly avoid a negative outcome. One must remember that a criminal 99.9% of the time has no formal training with the (usually stolen/unregistered) weapon he/she is using, giving a much unfair advantage to the 'good guy'. Not to say that every Tom, Dick and Harry should have a gun in their waist, but I think allowing law abiding citizens the right to carry a gun is written in our constitution for a reason. Unfortunately, depending on what state you reside in can make all the difference...

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
it used to be cops shot the bad guys or put them in jail
now its the reverse. no harm in carrying but you wont believe
what happens when you use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates