Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times

Advertisements

one love

Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
With this historic turn of events, the first African American president, do you expect a rise in racial mixing? Will it ever come to the point where we will become one mixed race?
I think the "races" have been mixing at a pretty steady rate since the first man met the first woman with a different amount of melanin in her skin. That will take us back several hundred thousand years I suspect.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM

41 posts, read 107,259 times
I remember years ago there was mixed race couple(white man/black woman) who where maybe 60 years old, they would come on the college campus from time to time and some times act like they did'nt know one another just to protect each other. recently I saw a bi-racial couple (50-60 ish) in the same small town walking down the street holding hands. we always associate mixed couples with young people, but there is a hidden group of older couples who can come out of the closet now,

Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly c's View Post
... but there is a hidden group of older couples who can come out of the closet now,
Come out of the closet? I wasn't aware we were in closets with this. I was married to a black person for a number of years, and never felt we had to hide it.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So basically you yearn for the day when people no longer have distinct, separate, and unique cultural and ethnic identities?

Why are you hostile to the Irish wanting to remain Irish, the French wanting to remain French, the Russians wanting to remain Russian, the Serbians wanting to remain Serbian, the Chinese wanting to remain Chinese, the Tutsi wanting to remain Tutsi, the Zulu wanting to remain Zulu, the Saudis wanting to remain Saudi, etc...

Do you derive some pleasure from the thought of denying people their culture and heritage? What you suggest is tantamount to genocide, at least culturally speaking.

You're not really for diversity, are you? Because the world you propose would have nothing of the sort, everybody would be pretty much the same, with no differences in hair color or eye color, and probably no real difference in height or body shape. Am I right?
Interesting perspective...

Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
With this historic turn of events, the first African American president, do you expect a rise in racial mixing? Will it ever come to the point where we will become one mixed race?
What makes you think that by having a mixed background president will impact who people date?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
wanting to remain Saudi, etc...

What you suggest is tantamount to genocide, at least culturally speaking.

You're not really for diversity, are you? Because the world you propose would have nothing of the sort, everybody would be pretty much the same, with no differences in hair color or eye color, and probably no real difference in height or body shape. Am I right?
I think the word "genocide' is pretty restricted to eliminating people who know they are being killed, so it is a rather strong word. Furthermore, if mankind voluntarily chose to reach a point at which every human being was of the same identifiable type, the whole concept of genocide would beome incomprehensible.

To express a wish that a condition comes about gradually and with the consent of the people, is not exactly the same as wishing to murder millions of them in cold blood.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the word "genocide' is pretty restricted to eliminating people who know they are being killed, so it is a rather strong word. Furthermore, if mankind voluntarily chose to reach a point at which every human being was of the same identifiable type, the whole concept of genocide would beome incomprehensible.

It is hard to claim it is voluntary when everybody from media figures, to celebrities, to politicians, wind up pushing racially-mixed relationships instead of leaving people to their own devices to be with who they want, for whatever reasons they have. There seems to be a consensus today, amongst the self-styled moral elite, that racially mixed relationships are morally superior to racially homogenous relationships.

The same sort of moral elites who declare that homosexual couples make better foster parents than heterosexual couples.

They take stances that run contrary to common-sense when they should just keep quiet, leave people the heck alone, and let them make their own decision based upon their own values.

It's not enough that miscegenation is legal, mixed-raced marriages are legal, homosexual conduct is legal, they want to push it into the spotlight and make it not just appear normal, but BETTER than anything else out there. It's not about equal rights or gaining acceptance, it is about shoving an agenda down the throats of everybody who doesn't want it.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
It is hard to claim it is voluntary when everybody from media figures, to celebrities, to politicians, wind up pushing racially-mixed relationships instead of leaving people to their own devices to be with who they want, for whatever reasons they have. There seems to be a consensus today, amongst the self-styled moral elite, that racially mixed relationships are morally superior to racially homogenous relationships.

The same sort of moral elites who declare that homosexual couples make better foster parents than heterosexual couples.

They take stances that run contrary to common-sense when they should just keep quiet, leave people the heck alone, and let them make their own decision based upon their own values.

It's not enough that miscegenation is legal, mixed-raced marriages are legal, homosexual conduct is legal, they want to push it into the spotlight and make it not just appear normal, but BETTER than anything else out there. It's not about equal rights or gaining acceptance, it is about shoving an agenda down the throats of everybody who doesn't want it.
Wow mixing of the races is bad!!! Welcome to the dark days of the 20th century.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Wow mixing of the races is bad!!! Welcome to the dark days of the 20th century.

Way to put words in my mouth!

I simply said that I am sick of seeing the media elite portraying race-mixing as morally superior to racially homogenous marriages.

They need to leave people the heck alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates