Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by jtur88
Quote:
Would you buy a used car without comparing it to another? Isn't that how decisions are made by rational logical human beings?
Not really, cause I don't buy cars.
I don't care much about money so I generally buy the 1st thing that provides in whatever it is I need.

But what I mean is that if you have already mastered 1 form of martial arts and are willing to be taught another, you should forget all knowledge about the 1 you have already mastered because it will only become an obstruction for you to learn to master the 2nd form.
So in order to learn the foundations of a new religion you should forget about the 1s you already know.
So religion is just like martial arts, there is no superior martial arts style, only 1 that fits you better than the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,635 times
every religion or philosophy has it's own mode of operation and uniqueness as well as common aspects with others. religions and philosophies are even revised over time for good or ill.

whether one is better or not is subjective unless you are comparing each and every aspect of the religion or philosophy upon certain critieria in regard to consequences. they all have their pros and cons.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
I guess for me I am wondering why a christian would tell me things like my religion is "the right one". I have heard this type of thing numerous times...other religions won't go to heaven because they are (for example) a buddist or another type of religion. perhaps it is only one small faction of christianity that feels this way and I keep running into the mind set. I wondered what it was that was taught that would make you feel secure in thinking that your religion was the one that would get to heaven above another, even though both religions believed in god.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I guess for me I am wondering why a christian would tell me things like my religion is "the right one". I have heard this type of thing numerous times...other religions won't go to heaven because they are (for example) a buddist or another type of religion. perhaps it is only one small faction of christianity that feels this way and I keep running into the mind set. I wondered what it was that was taught that would make you feel secure in thinking that your religion was the one that would get to heaven above another, even though both religions believed in god.
to some extent it might be genetic and have nothing to do with reason. people may think they choose a religion but it may be their own proclivities and nature gravitates them to a certain one in favor over another. now, there is a root reason for their inclinations or choices but it's not readily obvious by the choice unless you examine their personality, their beliefs and the object of those beliefs. you could argue one may be more tolerant than another etc. this makes sense why within certain groups, there are those of exacting similarity. for some people, just pure selfishness may be what motivates them. it's when they don't realize what's motivating them or disguise it that makes for puzzlement. not much to puzzle over when it's researched though.

even so, of course there are those where no current philosphy or religion actually "mirrors" in part or totally their true beliefs or views. maybe they should start their own. lol

Old 05-10-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by hothulamaui
Quote:
I guess for me I am wondering why a christian would tell me things like my religion is "the right one".
That probably is because these so called 'Christians' use the exclusion strategy (all the while they have absorbed every other philosophy and / or religion which they perceived to be a threat to their dominance).
I don't believe this to be Jesus' way.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:14 AM

822 posts, read 2,047,483 times
Is Christianity superior to other religions?

If it's right, it certainly is.

We won't get to find that out until a little later in the game but each one of us will find out. Not only is the conductance of your life an issue, there is a lot at stake when that is over.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Compared to Islam? Yes.
Christianity with a few exceptions outlined in the Bible is a religion of mercy and forgiveness.
Islam is a religion of conversion at the end of a sword and punishment by mutilation and death for non-adherence.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua
Quote:
Compared to Islam? Yes.
Christianity with a few exceptions outlined in the Bible is a religion of mercy and forgiveness.
LoL, that is like comparing Catholics with Protestants.
Judaism, Christianity and the Islam are 3 different roots of the same tree who all believe in the same God of Abraham.
Without Judaism there would be no Christianity and without Christianity there would be no Islam.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jtur88 Not really, cause I don't buy cars.
I don't care much about money so I generally buy the 1st thing that provides in whatever it is I need.

But what I mean is that if you have already mastered 1 form of martial arts and are willing to be taught another, you should forget all knowledge about the 1 you have already mastered because it will only become an obstruction for you to learn to master the 2nd form.
So in order to learn the foundations of a new religion you should forget about the 1s you already know.
So religion is just like martial arts, there is no superior martial arts style, only 1 that fits you better than the rest.
That's just dumb.
Some religions believe in animal sacrifice. Some religions (Islam) believe that if they can't convert you, they should kill you.
Are you saying that these are just different variations on the same thing? If you are then you are not using your head.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua
Quote:
Some religions (Islam) believe that if they can't convert you, they should kill you.
You keep forgetting the Christians who burned unbelievers at the stake.
Or tortured them untill they converted to Christianity.
Or do ya believe that these 'Christians' weren't true Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates