Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by old_cold Not really.
What would be logical is to use the process of elimination, unfortunately when it comes to religion proof has become irrelevant.

Besidez, it could be that 1 religion has it right.
Unfortunately that can't be proven either.
So it would be better to say that no religion is superior to the other.
No God is superior to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 AM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
So now you are comparing a harmless little old lady sitting in a pew thumbing through her rosary beads to Archie Bunker or some Nazi skinhead?

Get a life man. 99.9% of all Christians (I grew up Catholic) don't proselytize to anyone and the only thing that they would do to you is to wish you well and/or pray for you. Heaven forbid!

The really ironic thing here is that you jerks are exhibiting the exact same behavior that you are railing about.
You believe that you know the true path and that the Christians are the misguided fools.
Sound familiar?
Actually, it's ironic christians continually believe they are the victim when they aren't.

If your religion was actually tolerant of other religions, then it wouldn't be an issue.

you can't even see that disagreeing with a philosophy is different than barring others from practicing it or saying it is the only way.

the only reason christians, though it's fake, can pretend they are tolerant or victims of intolerance is because laws are in place so that their is freedom of religion.

if there wasn't those laws or christianity was left to it's own devices, that wouldn't be the case. therefore the indignation is a charade.

Last edited by leaana; 05-12-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:28 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
[quote=leaana;8769521]
Quote:
Actually, it's ironic christians continually believe they are the victim when they aren't.
B.S.! What Christians are you talking about? I know of no Christians who continually feel victimized.

Quote:
If your religion was actually tolerant of other religions, then it wouldn't be an issue.
Give me an example of the intolerance. And don't use examples from 1,000 years ago. Or even 100 years ago. We are talking about now.

Quote:
you can't even see that disagreeing with a philosophy is different than barring others from practicing it or saying it is the only way.
Who's barring what???!!! As I said 99.9% of Christians don't give a crap what you believe.

Quote:
the only reason christians, though it's fake, can pretend they are tolerant or victims of intolerance is because laws are in place so that their is freedom of religion.
You do not know the first thing about Christianity. So how can you pretend that you know what is fake and what isn't.

Quote:
if there wasn't those laws or christianity was left to it's own devices, that wouldn't be the case. therefore the indignation is a charade.
OMFG! "Christianity left to it's own devices"??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by TomDot
Quote:
So now you are comparing a harmless little old lady sitting in a pew thumbing through her rosary beads to Archie Bunker or some Nazi skinhead?
Not that long ago Christians didn't believe that black people were actually human.

Quote:
Get a life man. 99.9% of all Christians (I grew up Catholic) don't proselytize to anyone and the only thing that they would do to you is to wish you well and/or pray for you. Heaven forbid!
As long as they can take no for an answer, I don't have anything against that.

Quote:
The really ironic thing here is that you jerks are exhibiting the exact same behavior that you are railing about.
You're projecting.
Quote:
You believe that you know the true path and that the Christians are the misguided fools.
I only know that I've found my path, but do not claim that it should be yours too.
Quote:
Sound familiar?
You are arguing with yourself and it has nothing to do with me.

Last edited by Tricky D; 05-12-2009 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Not that long ago Christians didn't believe that black people were actually human.
Not that long ago, people believed a lot of things that are incorrect. The errors of the past are irrelevant unless we keep repeating them. And living in the past is one of those errors. Why don’t we take into account what folks of this religion or that religion believe RIGHT NOW? It doesn’t matter what Gunther or Gertrude or Hulde believed two hundred years ago, or a hundred years ago, or fifty years ago. Who cares? It only matters what you and I do right now.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Quote:
The errors of the past are irrelevant unless we keep repeating them.
Bigotry abound in modern day Christianity.
Christians believe that homosexuals live in sin so that you either are a Christian or a homosexual, but ya can't be both.
Or that people in Aids ridden countries should refuse to use condoms.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

As I said 99.9% of Christians don't give a crap what you believe.

!
If a political candidate announced that he was an atheist, how many Christians do you think would vote for him, compared to the number that would vote for him if he was perceived as a church-going Christian? 99.9%? Don't make me laugh. He'd be lucky to get 20% of the Christian vote, and then only if he was a Republican, from the 20% who equate Democratic with Atheist/Communist/.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
It's all a bunch of poppycock...hasn't anyone figured that out yet?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC Bigotry abound in modern day Christianity.
Christians believe that homosexuals live in sin so that you either are a Christian or a homosexual, but ya can't be both.
Or that people in Aids ridden countries should refuse to use condoms.
Do 'they'? You are generalizing. As is a common problem with many, you look at the world as a herd, not as individuals.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-12-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Lenna, If your religion was actually tolerant of other religions, then it wouldn't be an issue. thank you for this thought you are right there. I do have trouble when I hear that someone says my church is right the rest are either a cult or just not right.

tomdot, I think the 99% is a bit high I would hope it is at least as high as 80% but so many people believe like trickyD and jtur88 pointed out if you are a homosexual in many churches you just can't be christian and if you don't believe at all you will not be elected to office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates