Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Opponents to rail fight like the devil to keep it from going into service because they fear it will attract too many passengers and become hard to kill. The fear is justified. TriRail in Florida was supposed to be temporary during road construction but has been going for decades now.
Horsehockey. Revisionist history. Yes it was an ADJUNCT to the roads intended to help commuters during construction. Ridership kept falling off and then rebuilding. Why? Because every few weeks (days during some periods) there would be massive delays on the system, far worse than any traffic jam.

There IS an alternative to both high speed rail and crowded roads. Rather than repeat myself, here is a link to my blog post on the subject:
Chickpea Soup: April 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I'm not opposed to it is:

1. It is TOTALLY private funding with zero from the government. This in itself will prevent it from happening. It would create zero profit without subsidies.
2. The land was not forcefully taken from private landowners to build the railway.
Then Highways should be built privately , you can't say one form of Transport can't be built by the Govt vs another its stupid.... And Railway ROWs take a tiny amount of land compared to Roads...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Tri-Rail was not supposed to be temp , and it has become very successful used by 40,000 ppl daily and growing.....
Yes it was. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, again.

Tri-Rail was a temporary concept put in place during the massive widening of I-95 in South Florida. Stick to what you know - NJ.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Problem with Amtrak is that the right of ways are in areas where you do not have good ridership population and rotten stations outside of cities. Go on their map and look at it. Plan a bunch of trips and see -- not in CA, in real America, where you don't have thousands of riders per sq. mi. If I want to go from Buffalo to NY, it takes over 10 hours and it goes thru multiple cities, but people outside the citries? Forget them, no stations. Anytime I have taken Amtrak, it has been more like 12-13 hours to NYC. Shortest I know was a friend who took a redeye out of Penn to Buffalo in 9 hours. There are no dedicated tracks. They share with freight lines. Slows it all down, plus you pass the people who MIGHT take the train, outside of cities. The tracks are a mile from my house -- but the station is over 20 miles. Not efficient when the care goes out of the door and onto the road and we can pick faster routes..,.. and make NYC in 7 hours at full speed

Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
According to Tri-Rail's own website it was set up as an alternative during the five year reconstruction of I-95.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Amtrak hasn't gotten fair funding to upgrade itself into profit....thus it has failed....
How would you fix that problem?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How would you fix that problem?
You break the US into smaller sections , its to big to run....and the different regions of the US are running into conflict with each other.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
According to Tri-Rail's own website it was set up as an alternative during the five year reconstruction of I-95.
My bad , its done very well though....

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
You break the US into smaller sections , its to big to run....and the different regions of the US are running into conflict with each other.
Such as NE, SE, etc?

And I am not too familiar with the conflict. Could you care to elaborate? I'd love to know. Thanks

Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,331 times
I encourage all interested in this topic to read "Mobility" by Joseph Giglio, and read up on the Reason Foundations findings. As someone who worked in the tolling industry for several years I believe that is provides a better solution for transportation than high speed rail. Instead of high speed rail maybe but some rapid transit bus's that run up and down the tolled lanes, like they do in Minnesota. Either way, the infrastructure in this country is declining and there has to be something done to rebuild it. The government does not want to and can't afford to put out all the funds and risk associated with new transportation projects, so the way is through Public Private Partnerships(P3)'s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates