Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

Nearly everyone misunderstood the question and went into their cursorary politically correct rantings about the glories of diversity. What a shame. It could have been a great discussion.

I agree, it would be nice to live in a United Nations style community. That is what I chose, but that was not the question. I asked if you would be comfortable being the only person of a specific race moving into a neighborhood where everyone was different than you. For example, if you are black would you move into a community where you were the only black person. Or if you were Asian would you move into a community where you are the only Asian. Or if you were white would you move into a community where everyone was black?

Lets be honest now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Nearly everyone misunderstood the question and went into their cursorary politically correct rantings about the glories of diversity. What a shame. It could have been a great discussion.

I agree, it would be nice to live in a United Nations style community. That is what I chose, but that was not the question. I asked if you would be comfortable being the only person of a specific race moving into a neighborhood where everyone was different than you. For example, if you are black would you move into a community where you were the only black person. Or if you were Asian would you move into a community where you are the only Asian. Or if you were white would you move into a community where everyone was black?

Lets be honest now!
Yes i would if the neighborhood was worth it. I'll probably be faced with that choice when i move to Kentucky. Would i have a problem moving to moving to mostly white Elizabethtown, KY? No, because it has a VERY good reputation in regards of schools, safety, and being friendly and accepting. Would I have a problem moving to nearly all-white Bullitt County, KY? Yes, because it has a terrible reputation of racism, drug addictions, and looks mostly run down. If the neighborhood is worth the trouble and accepts me, i'll move there without reservation.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:

Lets be honest now!
Read Post #2.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
I have learned to look for the grain of truth in others' arguments. Weekend Traveler has a grain of truth, IMHO. Yes--people are comfortable among familar surroundings. Yes-particularly for newcomers having the same language and mores is comforting so the clanning occurs. Taking this point and concluding that someone who states they would live in a neighborhood where they were the only member of (I assume) the white race has to be fibbing belies a new reality.

If I were in a neighborhood of Asian, black, and perhaps, Indian families I could still be "comfortable" and "at home" because we would share a common language, common allegiance, socio-economic values and attitudes and most likely our children would all be involved in the same activities, using the same slang, and following the same sports teams. In other words, race is not the defining difference in such a set-up for many people.

Therefore--people could be following "human nature" and not be offput by being the only one of a certain heritage. In my area of PA. where I grew up the small towns were populated by folks of particular European heritage. They had names that reflected this. Italian, Welsh, German, English, Dutch--it was clear where the folks' ancestors came from. Today--those lines are very blurry because they have amalgamated. And that is what is happening with race. So the OPs argument and disbelief falls short.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:

Lets be honest now!
In other words, you were looking for people with a more negative, race based, attitude, and anything else is "politically correct".

But, count me as another who couldn't care less about being surrounded by 100% of the same kind or me being the only one, or everybody belonging to a different race, ethnicity, religion... I wouldn't want to live in a community, however, that spews venom, is superficial, and maintains negativity/hatred towards others and it won't matter if that neighborhood contains 100% my kind or I'm one of a kind or everybody is one of a kind.

To me, it is about people, not their race, nationality, sexual orientation, ethnicity...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM

341 posts, read 689,113 times
Quote:

Lets be honest now!
ok if you want a simple answer and I knew that I was the only one of my race I would have to say no, but if I moved to a place and then found out I was the only one of my race and I liked the neighborhood I would no move outl.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Remember how upset white Americans were when the first black family moved into their neighborhood? Are you sure that you would be welcomed as the fist or only white person in their neighborhood?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Remember how upset white Americans were when the first black family moved into their neighborhood? Are you sure that you would be welcomed as the fist or only white person in their neighborhood?
My current neighborhood is predominantly white with one Indian family and three houses with Chinese people (myself included). Somewhere about two blocks away, there is a black family and a couple of Hispanic ones. And there's one white lesbian couple. No one cares who moves into our neighborhood, as long as they are good neighbors... no loud music or parties, and keeping the common areas clean and free of trash.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Only 18 percent answered in the poll that they wanted a United Nations style neighborhood but the majority of the written answers indicated that this is what they wanted. 67% were very open to live in a neighborhood where they were the only person of a specific ethnic group in the neighborhood. The replies and the survey did not match.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
I don't care about race, I care about culture and political atmosphere. If the community's attitude is that they should be able to sit on their whereazzes with their hands out, collect from everyone else, that the world 'owes' them an education and whatever job/home/lifestyle that they feel they deserve without any effort on their part - and if they insist on voting for their friends who continually promise to give them everything they want without any expenditure of effort on their part, than - NO.

I have lived in areas where I was a definite minority, and it didn't bother me because most of us had the same attitude toward each others' rights, opportunities, and property; where if there was injustice or problems, the community came together to fix them. I have also lived in areas where I was a minority and where discrimination was rampant, especially towards my children and educational opportunities for them; where folks believed devoutly that race mattered more than anything - as an excuse not to prosper. The former I could tolerate, even enjoy; the latter was intolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates