Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Who are you to preach about human nature? Since youre inclined to spout off about what you think regarding others honesty I think I'll spout.

I think you are a bigot who cant believe everyone else is not like you & starts these threads hoping to confirm your mistaken beliefs.
What color were the folks who cut the trees & failed to manicure their lawn?

I think most people, I know I certainly do, live in rather diverse neighborhoods. I count among my friends & neighbors Haitians, Italian, Greek, Black, Mexican, Honduran & thats off the top of my head, theres more.
Now I might feel awkward living in China Town but somehow I dont think thats what your trying to say.

About the only people I dont like are snobs & snobby white folks are the worst.
The OP just likes controversy...just go and check 'it's profile.'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Default This is the debate board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The OP just likes controversy...just go and check 'it's profile.'
I am being criticized for liking controversy on a debate board?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Theres a difference between debating controversy & creating it.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
It wouldn't really matter to me, as long as the people were all clean, well-behaved, and took care of their own. Bad people come from all races and ethnicities.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
It wouldn't really matter to me, as long as the people were all clean, well-behaved, and took care of their own. Bad people come from all races and ethnicities.
"Clean" and "Bad" are interesting antonyms.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 340,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Clean" and "Bad" are interesting antonyms.
Interesting point.

Don't you suppose, though, that people who keep their property clean are also more apt to contribute to a neighborhood being a good neighborhood?

Regardless of race, it seems to me that there is a parallel there.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hard View Post
Interesting point.

Don't you suppose, though, that people who keep their property clean are also more apt to contribute to a neighborhood being a good neighborhood?

Regardless of race, it seems to me that there is a parallel there.
The big picture is that cleanliness costs a lot of money. Trash does not disappear by the wave of a magic wand. Undeveloped nations have an untidy appearance because the economic resources do not exist for "cleaning up" the environment. People who grow up there are accustomed to the general aura of an unsightly mess. and amid the chaos of trying to learn to live in a new country, cleaning up the mess is not a very high priority. I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. I have, a number of times in the third world, walked from the most abysmally filthy streets, through a doorway into a most amazingly bright and cheerful and spotlessly scrubbed household. People have different priorities.

As far as personal cleanliness is concerned, people in the third world often do not have ready access to an unlimited supply of water to clean themselves. Yet, they still place a very high premium on personal cleanliness. When backpacking around the world, I often felt very self-conscious of the fact that I was the only person on the bus who had not put on freshly laundered clothes that morning. Their clothes are always clean, even though they get washed in cold water on rocks in a river.

Do not think an immigrant next to you on the bus is "dirty" just because you can detect an odor. First of all, deodorant is not a cleaning agent, and using it does not make you "clean". (It does the opposite.) Second, many people and their clothing and their homes smell like what they eat, and people whose family diet or cuisine is different from yours might very well have a detectable odor, but that does not mean they are not clean.

And finally, has it occurred to you that daily bathing is not necessary, but is just something that Americans do out of acculturation and habituation, and when you think you need a shower, it is not because you have become unclean, but because you need to recharge your personal sense that you have just taken a shower, which in our culture arises at least daily.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If everyone is so open minded then why do so many people choose to live in communities and neighborhoods that are basically one race? Many people who come from a specific immigrant group will choose to live with their people, black with blacks and whites with whites. Are the people on this board really so enlightened and open? Or are they just trying to be politically correct?
I grew up in basically white majority suburban towns. And the only reason my parents chose to live there is because the public schools were considered very good. Our having a good quality of education was all that mattered to our parents. The colour of our neighbors' skin had nothing at all to do with the real estate choices that they made.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
The bulk of America is still rural, and has the majority of it's populace as white. In the cities, the color of your neighbors skin seems to be less of a concern than the fact of their financial standing. It's now become a matter of class over color. The poverty caused by exclusion seems to have lessened with time, and a more inclusive social construct. I live in a very small town in farm country, it is almost all white, I came from the Seattle area with it's huge diverse populace and to be truthful I miss that sometimes. People from different cultures and races bring with them the challenge to accept life as something other than the monochromatic America of the past.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The big picture is that cleanliness costs a lot of money. Trash does not disappear by the wave of a magic wand. Undeveloped nations have an untidy appearance because the economic resources do not exist for "cleaning up" the environment. People who grow up there are accustomed to the general aura of an unsightly mess. and amid the chaos of trying to learn to live in a new country, cleaning up the mess is not a very high priority. I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. I have, a number of times in the third world, walked from the most abysmally filthy streets, through a doorway into a most amazingly bright and cheerful and spotlessly scrubbed household. People have different priorities.

As far as personal cleanliness is concerned, people in the third world often do not have ready access to an unlimited supply of water to clean themselves. Yet, they still place a very high premium on personal cleanliness. When backpacking around the world, I often felt very self-conscious of the fact that I was the only person on the bus who had not put on freshly laundered clothes that morning. Their clothes are always clean, even though they get washed in cold water on rocks in a river.

Do not think an immigrant next to you on the bus is "dirty" just because you can detect an odor. First of all, deodorant is not a cleaning agent, and using it does not make you "clean". (It does the opposite.) Second, many people and their clothing and their homes smell like what they eat, and people whose family diet or cuisine is different from yours might very well have a detectable odor, but that does not mean they are not clean.

And finally, has it occurred to you that daily bathing is not necessary, but is just something that Americans do out of acculturation and habituation, and when you think you need a shower, it is not because you have become unclean, but because you need to recharge your personal sense that you have just taken a shower, which in our culture arises at least daily.
Wow. You're really on a crazy rant this time!

The guy talked about neighbors who keep their property clean, and you're off yelling about third world countries.

It isn't about money, it's not about race, and it's not about 3rd world countries. It's about being considerate enough to keep your place clean.

Maybe you don't living next door to yard that look like these, but I'd rather not...

http://files.myopera.com/BitzyMe/albums/455462/JunkYardSculpture.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates