Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

I agree. Your "standard of living" is safe and comfortable shelter, adequate nutrition, and the resources to afford you freedom to pursue happiness and dignity. Anything above that is "standard of smug gloating". None of us will see our standard of living declining to anywhere ner the minimum. The worst that will happen is your wife will have to explain to the other soccer moms what happened to her Escalade. Her standard of smug gloating will take a hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Interesting article in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/ma...er=rss&emc=rss

How a high-paid journalist ended up in the mortgage crisis

Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,648,334 times
I'm thinking about some why to do this. The more money you make the more you seem trappped.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 PM

signs of what's to come....

re: California is bankrupt:

Global Economic Crisis » 2009 » June

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I have a 15 year old car, I never eat out, I live in an inner city apartment, I walk to the library and the supermarket, I watch movies on cable, my clothes and furniture are from thrift shops. I have some money in savings accounts, I pay my credit card in full every month.

I know people who have a new car, they dine out frequently, they wear designer clothes, they see all the latest films, carry a high balance on their credit card, they have a mortgage and car payments..

If those people changed places with me, they would not be lowering their standard of living. They would be raising it.

I forgot to mention---I sleep well.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a 15 year old car, I never eat out, I live in an inner city apartment, I walk to the library and the supermarket, I watch movies on cable, my clothes and furniture are from thrift shops. I have some money in savings accounts, I pay my credit card in full every month.

I know people who have a new car, they dine out frequently, they wear designer clothes, they see all the latest films, carry a high balance on their credit card, they have a mortgage and car payments..

If those people changed places with me, they would not be lowering their standard of living. They would be raising it.

I forgot to mention---I sleep well.

You are correct. They would be raising their standard of living. Being in debt is slavery, no matter what you can "afford" to do with that credit card.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,171 times
I'm already living it and am fine with it.

Sure, I have one or two toys, but they're things that are paid for and that I could easily afford.

I live in a pretty small house, drive a used car that's paid for, don't even have cable, eat out once a week, only buy new cloths and shoes when they're needed or on sale for a good price (I ain't talking 200-hundred dollar Air Jordans), and haven't knocked anybody up.

It sure is hell not drowning in debt, not having to live paycheck to paycheck, and, perhaps most importantly, not having to put up with any bs if I didn't want to.

What is American gonna do if they suffer the same tragic fate I have.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
We have new cars, we dine out frequently, we wear some designer clothes - but always buy new clothes, we see all the latest films, carry a low balance on their credit card, they have no mortgage or car payments. We have a summer home and a winter home. We have a private aircraft and boat (which allows us to really enjoy our family)

I forgot to mention---I sleep very well.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have new cars, we dine out frequently, we wear some designer clothes - but always buy new clothes, we see all the latest films, carry a low balance on their credit card, they have no mortgage or car payments. We have a summer home and a winter home. We have a private aircraft and boat (which allows us to really enjoy our family)

I forgot to mention---I sleep very well.
It's all in what you can comfortably afford~~~

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's all in what you can comfortably afford~~~
I agree

But, JTUR88 believes that even if you can afford it - you shouldn't do it. He / She believes that everyone should live as he / she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates