Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times

Advertisements

Im reading in the paper right now of this astounding statistic , according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice. I cant believe the statistic is that high ! What can we conclude about the moral degradation of our Nation , and why ? Further, have you graced the walls of Prison yet ? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Wow. Those Americans must be some really bad dudes. What makes them think they can stand as the world's moral leaders?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im reading in the paper right now of this astounding statistic , according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice. I cant believe the statistic is that high ! What can we conclude about the moral degradation of our Nation , and why ? Further, have you graced the walls of Prison yet ? Thank you.
What it tells me is that they're probably screwing around with the numbers.

I'd really like to see the numbers, and how they arrived at that conclusion.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wow. Those Americans must be some really bad dudes. What makes them think they can stand as the world's moral leaders?
Do they think and say they ARE the 'worlds moral Leaders' ? Which Leaders are you referring to in your above statement ? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Do they think and say they ARE the 'worlds moral Leaders' ? Which Leaders are you referring to in your above statement ? Thanks.
It's not about the leaders. It's about the American people, who think that the only thing wrong with the rest of the world is that it is not populated by Americans in all their flawless perfection. Americans believe the rest of the world is inhabited by people who have a faulty morality, faulty religion, faulty economics, faulty sense of justice, faulty personal hygiene, faulty languages, faulty olympians, faulty shopping malls, faulty TV news, faulty haircuts. And these faults can only be redressed by forcing the poor souls (at gunpoint if necessary) to assume our own unblemished qualities.

By "leaders", I mean the American people as a whole setting their own self-proclaimed moral virtues as the gold standard for global human behavior. Expecting everyone else to "improve" themselves by learning to do things the way Americans do.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I still want to know where this "1 in 15" number came from, and what calculations they used to arrive at their conclusion...

Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
There were laws an morals WAY before the founding of the US. We are not (or should be) the morality police of the world. Our arrogance is incredible.

This is truly an embarrassing statistic (if true)

Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
could you please provide a link on this OP
thanks.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM

The OP did not provide a link, but this may be what he was reading:

ISS - THE AMERICAN LOCKDOWN: Is prison reform on the horizon? (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/06/post-18.html - broken link)

The source states that one out of 31 American adults is behind bars or on parole or probation. Since a huge majority of those are men, it is probably correct that one out of 17 adult males is currently under judicial restraint. Those are probably outnumbered by those who are not, but once were or will be. In realiity, it is probably fair to say that at least ten percent of all American males will serve time during their lifetimes.

Which, by extension, implies that one out of ten children has a father who will serve time. Two or three kids in every classroom. What is the psychological and emotional effect on these children, and how will they fare as members of our society at some future date?

I can hardly wait until Monday, when all the posters who "work hard for what they have" (which liberals are stealing from them) return to their office computers and start remiding us about how all those prisoners deserve what they get (as do their children), for their failure to take responsibility for their own lives.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
You know... Moral degradation isn't something new that just keeps getting worse and worse. Show me a time in human history when people were any better.

This is what the phisopher would call the human condition. We live in a system where money answers every problem and citizens are pitted against each other in competition for the crumbs of it all - It's the same dog eat dog, animalistic system used in nature. How civilized are we supposed to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates