Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

"Why is it always minorities wanting to be white"?....hmmm....interesting question. I'm not sure this is the case at all....but if it WERE, I'd say most of the people who "wanted to be white" would be found among those who were not PRESENTLY white...for obvious reasons. After all, whites are ALREADY white..right?

As far as whether non-whites are a 'minority'...(where? among what group?), or whether they form a 'identifiable bloc' ("persons of color", as a group?)....or whether, in fact, many of them DO actually want to be white....I'll leave that for others to argue over. This thread is ALREADY Waaay over MY head!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Hot climates have cold days; do we then say that there is no such thing as "climate" ? By your logic we would.

Indeed, different races often share similar characteristics as a result of migration patterns and settlement in different parts of the globe.

So what? I didn't claim we were different species. I claimed that within our species, there are genetic patterns with a classifiable temporal and geographic origin.

I say the differences are "race", which is a result of climate.

You say the differences are a result of climate, and that there is no such thing as race.

The only distinction I see between these two perspectives is vocabulary.

I just watched all 22 minutes of it.

In his words, he gives a "whirlwind tour of how we populated the globe."

Yeah? So what? He doesn't say anything that contradicts my point of view.
How many cold days are at the equator?

How many hot days are at the south pole?

What race means to you is something discrete that can be put into categories.

I say there is no such thing as race because you cannot separate people into categories based on superficial physical traits.

At 5:10 on the video Dr. Wells explains why Linnaeus' "racial" groupings are incorrect, which is what you claim to use to divide people into distinct groups.
You must have overlooked that part of the video.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 4,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
The fact of the matter is that most individual races appreciate/desire features more common among others. No race is really exempt from this.

Black women would, in most cases, like to have white/asian hair. Some won't admit it, but in general if it can be done they'll do it because it can be said that men usually tend to prefer that long, flowing hair on women.

White women like to tan...a lot. In the suburbs, this phenomenon is almost too extensive... .
Would you mind sharing where you found this information? You state it as fact and I am interested in just whose "fact" it is.

I believe that for the most part, it isn't one bunch of people wanting to be like another bunch. If a person is secure in who they are, and simply wishes to adjust their appearance, why would you presume it was to make themselves into what they aren't?

This makes no sense.

Some white people straighten their hair, bleach their hair (just ask any blond), cut it, let it grow long. Some black people straighten their hair, bleach their hair, cut it, let it grow long. Some asian people curl their hair, bleach their hair, cut it, let it grow long.

I see no one wishing to be someone else, just changing a little for some variety.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,632 times
Quote:
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

How many of those Whites who just love to get tanned, end up marrying a Black person ?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
John McClane, Oh come on, whites are not just staying with whites now a days. Whites just like everyone else are marrying who they want to based on something more than their color.

Just wondering has anyone on this thread who thinks minorities want to be white do you have any friends of color and or have you traveled outside of the United States? In today's day and age people are happy being who they are and except it.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:16 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
if you go with the self hatred angle, its whites who are most ashamed they are white.

they are responsible for my race(mixed) becoming the fastest growing minority in the us.

whites are the most common ethnic group in an interracial marriage.

white people also mimic not black, but ghetto black culture. 70 percent of people who buy rap albums are white. that whole industry is built off white kids. i see more whites with there pants sagging these days, then blacks.

whites also go to black sporting events like nba games and a lot of the fans worship the players. tell me the last time you saw a black person at a hockey game or at a ice skating tournament.

i see more whites interested in minority activities then the other way around.

whites are also more liberal and are prone to self hatred because of that(ie i hate myself because im white and this minority makes less or something to that extent)

most minorities are socially conservative.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
if you go with the self hatred angle, its whites who are most ashamed they are white.

they are responsible for my race(mixed) becoming the fastest growing minority in the us.

whites are the most common ethnic group in an interracial marriage.

white people also mimic not black, but ghetto black culture. 70 percent of people who buy rap albums are white. that whole industry is built off white kids. i see more whites with there pants sagging these days, then blacks.

whites also go to black sporting events like nba games and a lot of the fans worship the players. tell me the last time you saw a black person at a hockey game or at a ice skating tournament.

i see more whites interested in minority activities then the other way around.

whites are also more liberal and are prone to self hatred because of that(ie i hate myself because im white and this minority makes less or something to that extent)

most minorities are socially conservative.

Do you actually read this stuff before you post it?

Whites are the most common racial group in a mixed marriage? What the heck are you smoking? LOL

I do hope your entire post was satire.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you actually read this stuff before you post it?

Whites are the most common racial group in a mixed marriage? What the heck are you smoking? LOL

I do hope your entire post was satire.

what i meant is a white person is the most common thing youll find in an interracial relationship.

almost all of them are white and something else.

rarely you see two minoritiy partners in a relationship.

its usually white woman black guy, white man asian

stats show white people are the most common ones in a interracial relationship.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?

MJ--Leave him alone. A genius and national treasure, but a guy whose 40+ years under the microscope would have left most if not all of us as basketcases.

Skin Whitening--around the world is more about social/income class than race--especially in Asia. IMHO, it is stupid (and also makign someone very rich)

Spray Tans & Tanning Beds--LOL! Nothing beats Coconut Oil with Lanolin without sunbloc.

Tans--Looks healthy and sexy. Why not? In moderation of course...

Botox: Disgusting, except for those who use it medically. Ladies--au natural is sexy, as are wrinkle and crows feet. Aging is cool. Plastic ghouls are not.

Minorities/White: All of want to be richer, happier, more loved, and to live more fulfilling lives. Skin color is a side-show...

S.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
what i meant is a white person is the most common thing youll find in an interracial relationship.
So that means the other half of the interracial relationship is a non-human?

So there are no Asian/African interracial relationships?

And even IF what you're saying is true, that would indicate that White people are FAR LESS PREJUDICED THAN NON-WHITES. And frankly, that is probably true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates