Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
That is a valid opinion. Thank you. But we are still only talking of implied consent here, not expressed. Not sure that would work for an apartment lease or any other contract so it definitely should not suffice for presumably the most important contract of all. But if it works for you, hats off.
According to the Oklahoma pattern jury instructions, the elements of quasi-contract are:

1. Plaintiff furnished / rendered valuable goods / services to Defendant with a reasonable expectation of being compensated;
2. Defendant knowingly accepted the benefits of the goods / services; and
3. Defendant would be unfairly benefited by the services / receiving the goods if no compensation were paid to the Plaintiff.
---Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
My whole point is, people generally know what is in their best interest and the best interest of their community and therefore should be left alone to follow their own consciences.
This is a straight line from a comedy skit, right? I would love to leave you alone in some of the neighborhoods I'ved lived in and see how far the concept of "your best interest" will get you. I'm guessing the nearest hospital, if you're lucky.

As for signing all these documents you are so concerned about? Well if I don't want to sign them, I won't. Those that were created a couple of hundred years ago are the basis for this great country, and I don't feel the need to re-validate what they say. Simply living here is validation enough.

If you have a problem with living here under whatever evil regime you seem to be seeing under every rock and in everything you sign, you are not only free, but encouraged, to leave. I hear Afghanistan is looking for a few good Americans, and I'm not talking about joining the military.

The problem with posting your manifesto here is the large number of level-headed patriots you are going to run into.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I believe I read something similar from some guy they called the Uni_Bomber. You don't live in a cabin in the woods do you ?

You might want to consider that cabin. I hear Montana is nice place to be left alone & away from civilization.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
The "social contract" is only an allegorical concept. There is no contract for you to sign. It is, by its nature, valid by imlied consent.

If you want to argue that the gov't is violating the Constitution, then state your case.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
The state as it exists now is in violation of the social contract and does not have the best interests of the people at heart. Therefore we must withdraw our consent, marginalize the state and the coercive capitalist institutions and perhaps through a change in our subjective experience we can bring about a radical change in the objective reality.
Could you say that again in English, possibly with some specifics?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
As far as I know this society and government does not lock the doors on the inside. Anyone is free to leave at any time. Don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way to the anarchies of Mexico, Somalia or Afghanistan.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I believe I read something similar from some guy they called the Uni_Bomber. You don't live in a cabin in the woods do you ?

You might want to consider that cabin. I hear Montana is nice place to be left alone & away from civilization.
Well, Thoreau lived alone in the woods for a time. I don't believe he bombed anyone. He's a national hero in American Lit classes now.

There are many isolationists or a bit more common, people who prefer the rural lifestyle. The overwhelming majority simply want to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit (a concept supported in the founding of this nation--remeber life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, or have they striken that from the record?). The Unabomber and other similar situations were exceptions to the rule... not the making of the rule. People who want to forge their own destiny away from major population hubs are not, by nature, violent any more than are people who live in the cities.

You shouldn't stereotype. Montana is a wonderful state. It's one of the few places in the US that I would actually consider spending the rest of my life. Oh, by the way, they do have cities up there... and, believe it or not, the automobile has found it's way up there too!

Oh, and, it's OKAY to not like the way things are going in the United States. It has ALWAYS been okay to have an opinion. It's only been lately that the mind control game has become common. It's only been lately that an opposing opinion is not to be tolerated and you may well be hated and denigrated for having your own. Some of the greatest minds in history, who really made a difference, had a dissenting opinion. Had some of you lived in the time of the founding fathers of this country, I wonder how many of you would tell Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and the gang to not let the door hit them in the ass as the left the British colonies? Many, I presume.

By the way, the government does lock the door from the inside. There is no getting away from the IRS. No one leaves the family. And, no... I'm not opposed to paying taxes. I just wish they weren't wasted on bull**it as much as they are. That, I AM opposed to. That, and the fact that with each passing year, we are actually funding our own road to enslavement. Pretty bright of us.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Chris,
If someone wants to live in isolation it is a beautiful thing. If people want to opine all day long about being unhappy with the state of affairs that is a beautiful thang. It's groovy.

There is a huge difference between casual conversation and stating that rights have been violated or there are usurpations or abuses. Your not going to beat the system by making up rules. The only way to beat the system is to know the rules of the game. People either want change or they want to suck lemons in the corner with a lot of other folks.

Mind control? No. If someone has made the choice to remain ignorant it cannot be blamed on another. There is no reason for those of us who have studied this to lower our standards.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 AM

768 posts, read 1,087,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, Thoreau lived alone in the woods for a time. I don't believe he bombed anyone. He's a national hero in American Lit classes now.

There are many isolationists or a bit more common, people who prefer the rural lifestyle. The overwhelming majority simply want to be left alone to live their lives as they see fit (a concept supported in the founding of this nation--remeber life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, or have they striken that from the record?). The Unabomber and other similar situations were exceptions to the rule... not the making of the rule. People who want to forge their own destiny away from major population hubs are not, by nature, violent any more than are people who live in the cities.

You shouldn't stereotype. Montana is a wonderful state. It's one of the few places in the US that I would actually consider spending the rest of my life. Oh, by the way, they do have cities up there... and, believe it or not, the automobile has found it's way up there too!

Oh, and, it's OKAY to not like the way things are going in the United States. It has ALWAYS been okay to have an opinion. It's only been lately that the mind control game has become common. It's only been lately that an opposing opinion is not to be tolerated and you may well be hated and denigrated for having your own. Some of the greatest minds in history, who really made a difference, had a dissenting opinion. Had some of you lived in the time of the founding fathers of this country, I wonder how many of you would tell Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and the gang to not let the door hit them in the ass as the left the British colonies? Many, I presume.

By the way, the government does lock the door from the inside. There is no getting away from the IRS. No one leaves the family. And, no... I'm not opposed to paying taxes. I just wish they weren't wasted on bull**it as much as they are. That, I AM opposed to. That, and the fact that with each passing year, we are actually funding our own road to enslavement. Pretty bright of us.
Chris, I applaud you on your calm and well articulated post. It is quite clear to me that you are a free thinking individual who has not allowed yourself to be pulled in to the status quo thought process as many others have.
You seem to realize that one must choose their own destiny and have a morality that comes from within rather than one that is imposed from without which is really no morality at all but is tantamount to slavery. I imagine that is a concept grasped by only an enlightened few which perhaps explains why most people prefer to be part of the herd as it were. But while most would let this be enough to push them to the brink of despair, it just empowers me all the more to continue to rise above the herd and hope that others follow. Either way we deeper thinkers must be true to ourselves.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As far as I know this society and government does not lock the doors on the inside. Anyone is free to leave at any time. Don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way to the anarchies of Mexico, Somalia or Afghanistan.]
Thare is one (as far as I know, only one) thing an American can do while outside the country and be prosecuted when he returns home. Sex with person would be a minor in 9 US states. In fact, if you go to Thailand (but not Michigan) and have sex with a 17-year old, you can be imprisoned when you get back to the US, even though it is legal to have sex with a 17-year old in 41 states.

Putting it even more absurdly, if you have a 17-year-old girl friend, you can have sex with her in 41 states perfectly openly and legally, but if you go to Tijuana with her and so much as see her nipple, you can be prosecuted in American courts when you return to USA, sent to a very unpleasant prison for many many years, and have a sex offender sign placed in your front yard for whatever is left of your life. It's the law, folks, in the land of the free.

-----------------------

By the way, the number of Americans living in the "anarchy of Mexico" is larger than the capitals of 17 states. They are free to come back to the US whenever they want, but they have absolutely no desire to. Want to know why they love Mexico? It's a free country. One of the largest groups of them are men who fought for your so-called free country in Vietnam.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-15-2009 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates