Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Of course they didn't win......because there is no paradise of gardens and grapes with 72 virgins and domes of ruby and pearl waiting for evil cowards like them.
.................................................. ...............................................

If that's how you define "victory"...... My whole premise here is that the terrorists don't have to militarily defeat the US or get into heaven to "win". My premise is that if a ragtag band of terrorists can cause Americans to totally change the way we live, fight wars we wouldn't otherwise have fought, incur billions of dollars in expenditures, lose thousands of lives, create new government agencies, and in the end not even know whether or not we killed Bin Laden than the terrorists have won. At the very least, we ought to take look at some of the things we've done since 9/11 and ask if our actions have really been very bright. I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The terrorists were the excuse not the reason for the excesses. We destroyed ourselves for the security of the few at the cost to the rest.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The terrorists were the excuse not the reason for the excesses. We destroyed ourselves for the security of the few at the cost to the rest.
. . . which is why there is a credible conspiracy theory that we engineered the "excuse" ourselves.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . which is why there is a credible conspiracy theory that we engineered the "excuse" ourselves.
I've yet to hear the credible theory. It may be that there is, and if it was presented with logic and without the embellishment of easily-disproven add-ons or a TV-plot framework it might get more attention.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've yet to hear the credible theory. It may be that there is, and if it was presented with logic and without the embellishment of easily-disproven add-ons or a TV-plot framework it might get more attention.
Just because you do not believe something, or it does not get "attention", does not make it not credible.

Credibility is inherent in an idea, and is not dependent on your personal belief nor the publicized currency of the idea. Credibility lies at the beginning, not the end of the scientific method.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Just because you do not believe something, or it does not get "attention", does not make it not credible.

Credibility is inherent in an idea, and is not dependent on your personal belief nor the publicized currency of the idea. Credibility lies at the beginning, not the end of the scientific method.
Why are you assigning that concept to what I said? Odd.

It's not a matter of "belief" or publicized information. Ideas are great, but if the evidence does not bear them out, or if the ideas are presented within a false framework, they are of little use. Further, if such ideas are buried within false information or presented within a false framework, their credibility might be real, but it can get lost.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why are you assigning that concept to what I said? Odd.

It's not a matter of "belief" or publicized information. Ideas are great, but if the evidence does not bear them out, or if the ideas are presented within a false framework, they are of little use. Further, if such ideas are buried within false information or presented within a false framework, their credibility might be real, but it can get lost.
Because YOU defined credibility according to your own faith and belief system. Because YOU said the framework is false. As though you were in a position to judge its falsity. You have not seen much of the evidence, and have no special competence to judge what you have seen.

Why might it get more attention if presented with more logic, if it is not credible? (Your words)

cred⋅i⋅ble

–adjective
1. capable of being believed

Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Because YOU defined credibility according to your own faith and belief system. Because YOU said the framework is false. As though you were in a position to judge its falsity. You have not seen much of the evidence, and have no special competence to judge what you have seen.

Why might it get more attention if presented with more logic, if it is not credible? (Your words)

cred⋅i⋅ble

–adjective
1. capable of being believed
Example: If the framework is that the government is not only capable but likely to have perpetuated a false flag operation on 9/11, that might be considered credible. Further investigation is necessary to determine if this is true.

If part of the evidence for that framework consists of a story that a hijacker's passport found on a downtown street could not possibly have survived the impact and explosion because the aircraft in question completely disintegrated or vaporized upon impact, I AM in a position to judge its falsity, because I know that the aircraft did not completely disintegrate or vaporize upon impact. See? Same for other commonly-used false statements, such as "Larry Silverstein made a fortune off the attacks" or "Marvin Bush was head of security at the WTC". They are false statements and I know they are and not just because I said so.

To back up the first statement by concocting false proof automatically puts the veracity of the first statement in doubt, fairly or unfairly. To get the framework accepted, stick to the facts.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Youve reversed the suppositions. Originaly, the thread went like this:

Originally Posted by GregW
The terrorists were the excuse not the reason for the excesses. .
Reply by jtur88

It is the presumption that the Bush administration had some foreknowledge of the attack, that led to the credibility of the conspiracy, not the other way around. Bush made it credible.

The theory doesn't lead to the culprit---the culprit leads to the theory.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 PM

436 posts, read 908,264 times
They haven't won because I can still smile, listen to music have internet, my wife can still work and drive ,vote, not have to wear a burka, so no they haven't won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates