Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

Are Lucy Liu and Sandra Oh the best offerings of sex symbols for Asian women ?

Why aren't Asian women represented more diversely in American/European film?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
With all of the threads praising Asian beauty, I was just wondering why there are virtually no Asian women topping any list of actresses: top grossing films, highest paid, sexiest, etc.

What do you think?

It is pretty clear to me and not a priority in my life.

sigh--Let's go back to WW2 or even earlier and study immigration. Then we can scrutinize diversity, again. Cultures, beliefs and everything that is covered by CNN/Fox News.

The simple answer is that 'The Japanese' have a different culture and there are few, who choose to break with these traditions--go West--have more of a struggle.

$.02

Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Having spent a year in Japan and seeing their movies...would think it a little strange to see an American faced woman wearing white face make up or looking like a Geisha girl.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
What do you think?

It is pretty clear to me and not a priority in my life.

sigh--Let's go back to WW2 or even earlier and study immigration. Then we can scrutinize diversity, again. Cultures, beliefs and everything that is covered by CNN/Fox News.

The simple answer is that 'The Japanese' have a different culture and there are few, who choose to break with these traditions--go West--have more of a struggle.

$.02
The Japanese aren't the only Asians - what about the Chinese, Thai, Taiwanese, etc.

There are many Asians that are actors but why aren't the women (and their beauty) recognized by mainstream Hollywood? I have heard the comment over and over about Asian women being the most desireable but why doesn't this reflect in film.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Having spent a year in Japan and seeing their movies...would think it a little strange to see an American faced woman wearing white face make up or looking like a Geisha girl.
But the same doesn't hold true for Black and Latin women. Why are there more Black and Latin women represented in film as sex symbols and not Asian/Asian American?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:

Your thread is obtuse at best and comically naive. Asian women are not considered so desirable. actually they are considered the LEAST desirable by most people. what society do you live in? the real one or the one in your imagination?

just because some asian woman started a thread asking what they thought of asians does not equal to "asian women are considered so desirable." can you be anymore ridiculous?

um, lucy lui and sandra oh are "american" stars, that does not equate to asians all over the world or to the asian continent. hello? and actually chinese know that lucy lui is ugly by their standards so america can have her and sandra oh is no beauty herself. america or the west is about european or biracial beauty.

ya know, they do have asian celebrities in asia and each country has thier own.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The simple reason is that there are too few story lines about women who are Asian. Asian women tend to look like Asian women, and need to be cast as Asian characters. If the plot calls for an Asian, there are plenty available at Central Casting, but they are not marquee parts.

Giving credit where due, Sandra Oh is a Canadian (not American) star. (I discovered her in the 1998 picture "Last Night", and Ive been in love with her ever since.)

Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
and need to be cast as Asian characters. If the plot calls for an Asian, there are plenty available at Central Casting, but they are not marquee parts.
This is America in 2009. Asian-American actors can play any part, from doctors to drug addicts. If the role is for a "funny best friend" or "sarcastic lawyer" what does the ethnicity of the actor matter?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
the west is not conducive to asians culturally or their style. the west is conducive to europeans, caucasians and mixed people. as for blacks, the long history of african-americans and thier numbers have formed thier own subculture that has gone mainstream so there are more african-american celebrities etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
The Japanese aren't the only Asians - what about the Chinese, Thai, Taiwanese, etc.

There are many Asians that are actors but why aren't the women (and their beauty) recognized by mainstream Hollywood? I have heard the comment over and over about Asian women being the most desireable but why doesn't this reflect in film.
agreed

There is simply not time to go in depth on a message board.

Asian women are beautiful, Hispanic women are beautiful, every ethnicity produces beautiful women.

I am not the kind to type out a 2 page explanation.

sigh--I see you are in CA--you certainly would have more insight than I--living in a state that produced Julia Roberts--understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates