Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 AM

315 posts, read 776,313 times

Advertisements

I'll just say this........there is only one way to find out. Any volunteers??????? That's what I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
I'll just say this........there is only one way to find out. Any volunteers??????? That's what I thought.
How many things would you volunteer for that you can't come back from? That's what I thought.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Well, we could all work out a code and then when one of us dies, we can get the code from ........the other side. Then we can really find out what is going on. We could call it channeling. Then I could write a couple books and make a lot of cash and be a channeling guru and appear on Oprah and..........whoops, my bad.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
God and afterlife are a hope created by humans based on their fear of death. Then it became "organized religion" and things got worse.
But rationalism and science tells me that we are just like the other animals. We come to the world, we live, then we die. And it's over. The body dissolves with time but we will never notice. There is no soul flying somewhere or spirit...there is only "nothingness", zero.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Or do you believe in something else? What do you believe?
Jesus Christ claimed he was the Creator who came down from Heaven, and proved it by fulfilling hundreds of accurate prophecies made about him centuries in advance including the method by which he would be killed which wasnt even invented at the time . Historical evidence clearly depicts him rising from the dead confirming his identity. Therefore , whatever Jesus says is absolutely true since God cannot lie ; he taught there was a Heaven and a Hell...and WE get to choose which our final destiny will be based on whether we trust in him to get all our sins forgiven. Based on the person of Jesus, when i die to this earthly life, it will be a wonderful graduation day. For many, it will be very regretful with no second chances.

If you have the desire to look into the credibility for Jesus, the best source ive found is here : www.impactapologetics.com

Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
God and afterlife are a hope created by humans based on their fear of death. Then it became "organized religion" and things got worse.
But rationalism and science tells me that we are just like the other animals. We come to the world, we live, then we die. And it's over. The body dissolves with time but we will never notice. There is no soul flying somewhere or spirit...there is only "nothingness", zero.
You know, I tend to discount posts about the unknown when they are written in declarative sentences. Of course, it's neither here nor there whether I discount something or not. But I assume that many thinkers (as opposed to proclaimers) feel the same. When something is proven, it's proven. Until then, a declaration is stab in the dark. Perhaps a better approach would be to treat one's own personal beliefs with a pound of skepticism. It tends to add credibility and furthers the discussion when we don't take on the role of a God figure in our thoughts. Offering opinions as such is perhaps a better policy.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-03-2009 at 08:28 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Yes I believe there is a Heaven and a Hell. I believe God has a Son named Jesus. I also believe that Satan exists. I have no idea what God has planned for us in Heaven. I have always been curious science. I am sure I could spend an eternity just asking questions about how the Universe was created and all of the different things in it. When the wonders of the Universe are explained I will be one of those in a state of awe.

One conclusion I have made from reading God's word is that to get to Heaven you have to believe.
Making it to Hell requires no belief in anything.

GL2

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Hmmm, I read a long time ago that some Biblical researchers had determined that "Hell" was literally a reference to garbage pits, specifically the one outside ancient Jerusalem, which contained all the "unclean" filth and corruption of a city whose main temple was the cultural butcher shop (did you think all those offerings were just a giant BBQ for God?). That would make it an idiomatic phrase, with meaning to the people of that time and location. It made for great emotion in inclusion in later dogma, as do the tedious rehashes of Armageddon and the battle(s) that took place there.

With the exception of the self-fulfilling prophecy idea, it doesn't much matter what anyone thinks. Que sera, sera. A lot of the fuss is all bundled up with ego, which is transient anyway. No matter how you hash it out, a majority of the population of earth will be proven wrong in their ideas of any afterlife.

FWIW, strict Biblical interpretation is of the (s)elect dead "sleeping" until the second coming, which rules out waiting with Fluffy and Fido until that time comes around. Give a little whistle.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nope. I believe that once we die we're worm food.
I won't be worm food, I'm gonna be cremated.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Jesus Christ claimed he was the Creator who came down from Heaven, and proved it by fulfilling hundreds of accurate prophecies made about him centuries in advance including the method by which he would be killed which wasnt even invented at the time . ]
And how do you know this? Because you were told that by people holding a collection plate in their hand? Why do you trust them to have made these interpretations accurately, when they had so much to gain by fostering that belief?

Or did you personally gather this knowledge, through a fluent understanding of the ancient languages in which the prophecies were written, and an exhaustive historical knowledge of the events to which they referred?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates