Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times

Advertisements

No heaven or hell, there's nothing after death..wormfood just like every living organism, we're not above cats, dogs,worms, etc,....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
No heaven or hell, there's nothing after death..wormfood just like every living organism, we're not above cats, dogs,worms, etc,....
Where did you find this information?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Where did you find this information?
Where did YOU find the information to the contrary? Where did you find the information that only one species possesses some unique capacity to "live" after biological death? Aside from the musings of frightened and puzzled people who understood nothing at all of the physical universe, where is the evidence that only humans have a spirit that lives behond the body? The human body works exactly like the bodies of all other living things, using exactly the same principles of physical laws and chemical reactions. Where did you get the information that it is somehow "different"?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
If there's a place where people don't go out of their way to offend other people, that's heaven. Unfortunately, I can't give odds on the existence of that place.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I want to know when the current mythos became boring.

Babylonians had this House of the Dead and there was no separation of the just and unjust. You die and you go there and you wore feathers for clothing, and you ate and drink dirt and mud and everything was dusty. This is the original shoel.

Although, you better have been buried to get there or you walked around the earth and witches and what not could use you OR you could cast a spell and jack with another human trying to get a proper buriel. You walked around with an eternal hunger....that apparantly only mud and dirt could fill!!!???

Even Hades had 3 judges, cross roads, rivers, etc.

Then there is the dilemma of how many souls you have. Seven or two or one soul that divides at death. In some cultures, some present and some ancient you don't go anyplace...your obligations change.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:35 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
I believe strongly, one way or the other, will it make it so??

Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where did YOU find the information to the contrary? Where did you find the information that only one species possesses some unique capacity to "live" after biological death? Aside from the musings of frightened and puzzled people who understood nothing at all of the physical universe, where is the evidence that only humans have a spirit that lives behond the body? The human body works exactly like the bodies of all other living things, using exactly the same principles of physical laws and chemical reactions. Where did you get the information that it is somehow "different"?
I have found no evidence from a credible source of anything occurring or not occurring after death (other than the physical realities such as hearts stopping, bowels/bladders releasing, flesh rotting, etc). That's why I'm not proclaiming my personal beliefs or feelings as if they were fact. That's why, when I did offer my personal beliefs, I made it clear that they may well be BS. Just as EVERYONE else’s may be.

My gripe here is that we get statements like 'there is nothing after death' or ‘I’m a goin’ to the great corral in the sky when I kick the bucket.’ The authors do not know this any more than someone coming on here and stating that we turn into a box of Lucky Charms cereal after we die. Stating belief as fact is no more than chest-pounding arrogance.

As for your question, I never said I wouldn't entertain the idea that animals have a 'soul.' What I don't do is proclaim that they do or they don't when I don't know. Big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I believe strongly, one way or the other, will it make it so??
Now there are two of us in the empty room shouting this idea at the top of our lungs... with nobody bothering to listen.

What's different about these two sentences?

I believe we will all be reborn as dust mites.

We will all be reborn as dust mites.

NOW, answer this: although they can both be lies (and assuming they are), which is a universal lie?

I will never knock your beliefs (unless they are infringing upon the right to have my own)... I will only remind you that they are beliefs and not facts.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I want to know when the current mythos became boring.

Babylonians had this House of the Dead and there was no separation of the just and unjust. You die and you go there and you wore feathers for clothing, and you ate and drink dirt and mud and everything was dusty. This is the original shoel.

Although, you better have been buried to get there or you walked around the earth and witches and what not could use you OR you could cast a spell and jack with another human trying to get a proper buriel. You walked around with an eternal hunger....that apparantly only mud and dirt could fill!!!???

Even Hades had 3 judges, cross roads, rivers, etc.

Then there is the dilemma of how many souls you have. Seven or two or one soul that divides at death. In some cultures, some present and some ancient you don't go anyplace...your obligations change.
That's what happens when everyone is guessing. And that's exactly what theism and atheism is: guessing. Don't get me wrong, I think we should all guess to our heart's content, but also realize that it is a guess.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's what happens when everyone is guessing. And that's exactly what theism and atheism is: guessing. Don't get me wrong, I think we should all guess to our heart's content, but also realize that it is a guess.
Chris, I don't care one way or the other. If people want to jump up and down and say they have the one true way.....k. If people want to jump up and down and say the worms crawl in and the worms crawl out......k.

I love studying ancient cultures and (some) current cultures concepts of dieties, death, rebirth, buriels and mythos and how they permiate/d life.

But I think that, these current arguments are kind of blah compared to ones that have taken place in the past.

Like souls...do you have one or don't you? How come you don't have two or 7? Like some other cultures believe?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
ChrisC, some posts back, you presented this challenge:

Originally Posted by MaggieZ

ChrisC: Where did you find this information?
-----

My reply to you was of the nature of this: Any person may make any speculative argument about anything, no matter how absurd. If someone else disagrees, it it not because they have "found some information" to the contrary, but because the premise is so highly improbable in the context of any observable data and logical application of the laws of the universe. In such a case, the proposition would remain absurd, until some sober person presented a rational case to show that there is some foundation to support it, and the contrary supposition based on observation, data and logic, would at the very least, be less absurd.

If one says the moon is made of green cheese, and I point out that I know a little about astronomy and a little bit about the cheese-making industry, and the cheese theory is highly improbable based on what is widely regarded as the natural laws of physics and chemistry, and it is almost certain that the moon is made largely of the normal inorganic materials that predominate in small cold bodies that occur in space (and not green cheese), would you ask me "Where did you find this information?"

You are making excessive demands on the argumentative process to challenge the source of information leading to every supposition that is based on simple observation.

MaggieZ says road kill is organic material being recycled into the biosphere. This is a process that is well known to modern science and is unchallenged. MaggieZ is not obliged to cite her sources. If anyone thinks something else is going on that is not readily observable and replicable, therein lies the onus of citation.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-05-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates