Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,841 times

Advertisements

You young guys on here all looking to prove something. Just remember this. No matter how tough, and big you are, there is always someone tougher, bigger and faster out there. Fighting (outside sports like boxing) should be avoided at all costs. All it will yield you is great grief and a criminal record. Not to mention you can actually get hurt or even killed. Most thugs these days bring a gun to a fist fight. You might be thinking good old fashioned brawl and they whip out a gun.

Best just to eat your pride and walk away. The average street fight lasts for 90 seconds,yet will render you years of legal trouble or worse. Think about it.

Then you get old and realize it wasn't worth it. Go to school get an education and do your fighting with your brains while making a nice chunk of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
When it's over something stupid, like you decide you don't want to pay the $5 bet you have with another guy you're playing pool with, and whip out a knife instead...or you feel you have to defend your woman's honor because some other guy actually spoke to her in your presence...yeah, it's stupid.

But when someone attacks you, and you're just trying to defend yourself...and it's just a matter of survival? You're NOT stupid.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
bob's school of karate has black belts for sale, but that does not guarantee you will in fact be able to dodge bullets in 10 days.
kobudo okinawan karate uses weapons cane/pole, weapons are vastly superior to unarmed.
even better-- fencing--- knives and swords, even better 9mm, even better run. most powerful weapon going, the california apology, i am so sorry my stupid face got in the way of your swinging fist, then after you are out of danger you pick the time and place of the strike.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I wouldn't suggest the martial arts are useful--since they have nothing to do with survival.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times
I think your just better off with a 9 mm

As Indiana proves

YouTube - Indiana Jones Fight Scene

Old 11-15-2009, 09:13 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
You young guys on here all looking to prove something. Just remember this. No matter how tough, and big you are, there is always someone tougher, bigger and faster out there. Fighting (outside sports like boxing) should be avoided at all costs. All it will yield you is great grief and a criminal record. Not to mention you can actually get hurt or even killed. Most thugs these days bring a gun to a fist fight. You might be thinking good old fashioned brawl and they whip out a gun.

Best just to eat your pride and walk away. The average street fight lasts for 90 seconds,yet will render you years of legal trouble or worse. Think about it.

Then you get old and realize it wasn't worth it. Go to school get an education and do your fighting with your brains while making a nice chunk of change.
I took Judo up as a sport originally, i've nothing to prove. Unfortunately some dopes who try to fight you refuse to walk away, so then what do you do?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I think your just better off with a 9 mm

As Indiana proves

YouTube - Indiana Jones Fight Scene
Firearms are a martial art in and of themselves, with a whole different code. It actually requires more brain power to use a firearm , properly, than it does to use Karate, Aikido etc. The old shoot, don't shoot situation. A firearm will end any conflict, quick , fast and in a hurry, BUT not all conflict needs such a lethal resolution. Since I obtained my CCW, I have taken more insults, crass comments about my wifes posterior, and even direct challenges and threats, usually all of the latter tossed at me by the some dip**** twentysomething turds in the Wal Mart parking lot or other gathering place for the best of humanity, and just smiled and walked on, than I would have taken had I NOT been armed. Being armed with a firearm , one better develop a thick skin for stupidity. In only one case did anyone press the issue of being ignored, and are far wiser and much more mannerly in public for having done so now. However one chooses to defend themselves, be it with bare handed martial arts, or by other means, proper judgement, and the strength of character to blow off the little stuff, is prerequisate. Those of us who are ready for the worst, must present ourselves as being the best, at avoiding conflict. Seeking to get into any kind of trouble on the street proves nothing about how 'strong' a person is, but rather reveals a fatal weakness and flaw in ones character.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
I have never reacted well to poor manners from total strangers in public. I sometimes react, before I have time to think. but I don't hang around to see what the Police have to say. Stealth activities, then split--grass-hoppa.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I have never reacted well to poor manners from total strangers in public. I sometimes react, before I have time to think. but I don't hang around to see what the Police have to say. Stealth activities, then split--grass-hoppa.
A good martial arts school will help you to use your intellect first instead of relying on your programmed by environment reactions.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
A good martial arts school will help you to use your intellect first instead of relying on your programmed by environment reactions.
I must be perfectly honest here--sometimes just watchin the look change in a guys eyes, when I get their attention, is just to good to pass up. I had my first fight at 7, and have no problem with it at all. I figure If I don't do something, they will just move on to the next victim. Scars give a feller Character. Hey, if they didn't feel froggy, they never should have jumped. My Ole Pappy was a War horse, and took no lip from anybody. He held his head high, and conducted himself with dignity and restraint. but I seen him lay out many a wise guy, for not showing proper respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates