Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You should have to pass the course and afford the fees. Put me on a list of gun owners, all they know is that I own one, I may or may not have more that they don't know of. If you can afford a $400+ firearm, and are intending to carry it for personal protection, then you need to sack up and pay the fees and take the course. I also believe that open carry should be legal in EVERY state.

Convicted felons should NOT be able to own firearms. They have proven themselves incapable of self control, whether it be thievery, assault, murder, etc., they cannot handle the responsibility of being a decent human being and are not equipped for such a responsibility as gun ownership. He or she can own a baseball bat, or why not a firearm that was acquired illegally, they are already a felon.....
I disagree for reasons already stated, but respect your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

Convicted felons should NOT be able to own firearms. They have proven themselves incapable of self control, whether it be thievery, assault, murder, etc., they cannot handle the responsibility of being a decent human being and are not equipped for such a responsibility as gun ownership. He or she can own a baseball bat, or why not a firearm that was acquired illegally, they are already a felon.....

Therin lies the problem. No longer can it be taken for granted that a "felon" is a violent criminal. In todays world violent criminals get things plea bargained down to non felonies while white collar criminals get felony convictions. Violent criminals should not get out. Anyone that can be trusted to walk free should be trusted with equal civil rights.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
We have permits laws now i texas and i see no problems. its always been those thatare criminals trhat it really matters.The no end to punihsment is really what the pui;lbic does in terms of trust in convicted felons.The fee is to cover the cost actaully and is a moinor thing. no one gripes about it here. you pay a feee to drive a car ;nothing diofferent;no discrimination because its oppen to all to pass the laws requirements.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Guys,let's be polite in our comments,otherwise the moderator may shut it down...

Let's agree on our common conclusions..

We all agree that CC is a right & most of us want to exercise it.
Opinions are split on certification...
Some accept the bureaucracy with permits.classes etc.
others follow the libertarian school & accept no gov regulations of their right...

Given that only 1.5 % of people carry in USA,I suggest that we put water in our wine
& try to ...proselytize the non gun crowd,
because the anti gun are probably a lost cause for us...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM

30 posts, read 58,554 times
So do you carry concealed Frankie?? What are your thoughts on felons owning guns and such??

Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 6,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKay View Post
So do you carry concealed Frankie?? What are your thoughts on felons owning guns and such??
nope i dont need to carry.i do always have a gun close by just in case.i keep my 22 mag critter rifle in my truck and have numerous household guns.not all felonies are the same so it is really is not fair to compare someone who rapes and kills with someone who sold a big bag of weed.the rapers killers and thieves convicted felons should not be able to legally own guns.(but they have them anyways).

Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
good place for a gun, in the trunk, not very effective if someone tries to carjack you, which is a reality anywhere...

you're right, not all felonies are the same, but that same guy that sold a big bag of weed also tends to hang out with thugs and rapists, and none of them need to see a gun except for the open end, once...

you're also right, the felons that are violent, will probably own guns anyways, our court system will just put them on house arrest, real effective

Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
As I have stated, I don't own firearms. I also have no plans of being a victim. I just keep my eyes open, and don't start nothin I'm not pretty sure I can finish. I don't put people in corners, and I mind my manners. Anthing that happens after that, is up to the Man upstairs. and I'm cool with what ever the outcome. I came to Pardy.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
good place for a gun, in the trunk, not very effective if someone tries to carjack you, which is a reality anywhere...
Exactly. If you are going to carry a gun, it ought to be loaded and available for your immediate use. When I took my CHL class my instructor, a 30-year police veteran, told us a handful of stories of people who had a gun in their trunk, or locked in the glove compartment, or it wasn't even loaded ... when they needed it the most. He even had some examples of previous class attendees who went through all the regulatory process and then, because they felt "uncomfortable", did not carry a gun with them - and went on to become a victim of a crime.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
As I have stated, I don't own firearms. I also have no plans of being a victim. I just keep my eyes open, and don't start nothin I'm not pretty sure I can finish. I don't put people in corners, and I mind my manners.
Congratulations. You just described the vast percentage of every victim of random crime out there ... but I suspect you were well-aware of that when you posted this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates