Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow. Your meds are WAY off this morning, aren't they?
Just keep in searching for all my posts. Sooner or later, you will find one you can actually address and try to refute it with some idiotic nitpicking, instead of just childishly flailaing away at me personally.

Meanwhile, spend some quality dictionary time, and see the difference between "anybody" and "everybody".

However, I'm running out of wastable time, so I won't be clicking on "view post" of people on my ignore list any more today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just keep in searching for all my posts. Sooner or later, you will find one you can actually address and try to refute it with some idiotic nitpicking, instead of just childishly flailaing away at me personally.
Right back at ya.

I was talking about my wife & I having bought cheap houses, fixed them up and sold them at a profit.

You come along, quote one of my posts, and start in on some stupid rant about Stalin and the Politburo.

Wow. Just, wow...

Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
What exactly is the American Dream? Are we talking wife, kids, family then retire?
Pretty much. Oh, and give our kids a nice big chunk of change so they can backpack the world...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We, my wife and I, never had a combined income big enough or secure enough to to take the risk of raising a child in poverty. I was raised that way and I wouldn't do that to anyone.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I was raised poor, by today's standards. I didn't inherit any money, but I was lucky enough to inherit my parents' ambition to seek an education and to better myself, both financially and to be in a positon where what I did for a living served others.

I wonder if that isn't one version of the American dream...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Freedom and Opportunity are the two entities at the core of the American Dream.

That is all.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,745 times
I agree with those who say that the American Dream is whatever you want it to be. When I was 20, the idea of a steady office job, wife, kids, and house with a mortgage was utterly unappealing -- something that the Establishment sold to the sheep-like masses, who were too scared to think for themselves and be themselves. I was going to live a life of adventure, supporting myself as a best-selling novelist, doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, free from all responsibilities.

Fast-forward 30 years, and I have a steady office job, wife, kids, and house with a mortage -- and I love it all. When I was 20, I was romantic and naive, and I didn't know myself as well as I thought I did. I had a greater need for security than I wanted to admit, and the idea of "starving in a garret for my art" terrified me (somehow, I was going to bypass the hungry years). I also turned out not to be the Genius Artiste that I once fancied myself to be. Now I understand the joy that can come from having responsibilities, from being loved and needed by others. I also no longer think that it's "selling out" to want to live a comfortable (not extravagant) life.

One of my best friends, on the other hand, more or less pursued the life we both said we wanted. For a long time, I envied him for his bravery. Years later, he said he envied me for my stability, my happy marriage, my house, and the money I had in the bank. Finally, though, we both realized that any choice you make in life is going to rule out other choices. Everything comes with a price. You have to decide what price you're willing to pay for what you say you want. My friend eventually added some elements of stability to his life, and I loosened up in some areas of my life. We realized that we've both remained true to who we always were. In short, we've both lived two very different versions of the American Dream.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM

^ Yeah, that's pretty much the deal.

Both my sons pursued their dreams of being professional musicians for several years. Actually, they succeeded, and spent a couple years clocking untold thousands of miles criss-crossing the country. They loved it, while I could think of few things I'd hate more than that.

Now they're both married, still pursuing music - though in a different way - and are loving what they're now doing even more than they loved the traveling.

We need freedom & opportunity. But even utilizing those two things doesn't mean we're going to end up in the same place.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Most people on drugs are there to excape reality of what they are in. It has nothing to do with the american dream really. Reality is their problems caused by many things. People rich or poor can get drugs and alcohol probmes ansd stress can effect people poor or rich.But i sure would rather be rich or at least well off because that makes it more;likely you;ll get treatment. Just as a aside look at the young runaway and the very likelyhood that they will endup on drugs in the streets;sad really.People in the 60's;my generation;that dropped out were likely to have drug problems than those that pursued the american dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates