Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM

297 posts, read 899,409 times

Advertisements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolitionism_(bioethics)

What are your thoughts? Can we ever be absolutely certain about whether this is bound to happen or not? What implications does this have on our current daily lives?

Last edited by avant-garde; 01-20-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Wikipedia is telling me that the page is not posted yet.

Pursuing the matter elsewhere for a definition, it seems to imply that we can create a world where Jackasses can do whatever they want without ever feeling any pain or discomfort as a consequence of their shenanigans. Not much of a step in the direction of enlightenment.

The risk of discomfort from self-destructive behavior is a strong motivation toward self-preservation.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Life without pain, is not life.

There was an oooooolllllld Twilight Zone Episode I remember.

A thief and murderer died. He went to a place where he got everything he wanted. All of the women he wanted, all of the poker he wanted (and he always won), all the food he wanted, and he could go anywhere he wanted.

His "handler" kept asking him if he needed anything else. Finally, after having enough of having everything he wanted handed to him, he told him that heaven was no place for him, and that he wanted to go to the "other place" because thats where he belonged.

His handler politely told him "Sir, you are in the 'other place'" and started with an evil laugh.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM

297 posts, read 899,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Life without pain, is not life.
Why do you say so?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Why do you say so?
Did you read the rest of the post?

If you don't have pain, you don't know what pleasure is.

If a child has its every waking want taken care of immediately, then it'll never be happy with the things that are pleasurable.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am a strong anti-abolitionist. Adults should be able to anything they want to themselves and be completely responsible for the damages they do to themselves and others. If adults become addicted supplying that addiction is their problem. If the resort to crime to feed the habit that is what law enforcement does. They go to jail and are denied the drugs.

I was brought up by an alcoholic and his codependent. I was taught that drinking was a solution to most everything. I believed them until I realized that a hangover during an ambush could get me killed. End of drinking. Smoking was harder to kick but eventually I stopped that as well.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 AM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a strong anti-abolitionist. Adults should be able to anything they want to themselves and be completely responsible for the damages they do to themselves and others. If adults become addicted supplying that addiction is their problem. If the resort to crime to feed the habit that is what law enforcement does. They go to jail and are denied the drugs.
[/font][/color]
I have to agree with all of this. Free agency, for better or worse, is essential and the cornerstone to our existence. Without it, there is no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates