Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As for the morality or immorality of taxes.

As they oft say, if you don't like it leave, or at the very least change things. But the bottom line is taxes are not an issue of morality in a democratic society.
Thank God we are not a Democracy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
thank god we are not a democracy!
x2

Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM

72 posts, read 175,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I was wondering if anyone else feels that taxes are immoral? I think they are. Here is why. Yes, taxes pay for certain things. Like; fixing roads, military, police, hospitals, and other needed things. But taxes also pay for; Politicains new car, house, yacht, vacation, and welfare.

I dont have a problem paying for somethings. But I work hard for my money, why should I give it to the Government who has as of late done nothing to help me? My taxes go to another city to fix their roads because that is where the majority of the voters are. My taxes go to pay for the politicians wages and they havent earned that as far as I am concerned.

Think about it, we get taxed on every level. From our paychecks, when we put them in the bank. When we buy groceries, when we invest it. Our money is taxed at all times. This is ridiculous, I have earned that money, the government needs to do the same.
I feel where you are coming from. I think taxes are inherently immoral because you are taking away money from a group of people under threat of prison (murder, rape, assualt, having to live in fear of the aforementioned and living next to the aformentioned groups with little protection).

I think income taxes are the worst of all taxes, people have a right to work and it only makes sense you have a right to keep whatever payment you make from your earnings.

That being said I think the government should only be involved ina limited number of activites, mainly national defence, and everything else should be privatized except maybe police and ambulance.

I think the sales tax should be only enough of what is required to run the government, national defense and police and nothing more. If there were less taxes we could pay for most of the other stuff and we already do.

I also feel high taxes make it hard to escape poverty or middle class dom. The more you work when you make 40k a year the more you have to pay out and it is virtually impossible to ever get rich

Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I was wondering if anyone else feels that taxes are immoral? I think they are. Here is why. Yes, taxes pay for certain things. Like; fixing roads, military, police, hospitals, and other needed things. But taxes also pay for; Politicains new car, house, yacht, vacation, and welfare.
As long as you use anything built with taxes (roads, sidewalks, etc, etc) you have to pay taxes.

Now, your complaints is about corruption.
Because there's corruption, doesn't give anybody the ride to use public things without paying for them.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM

27 posts, read 46,878 times
Well, I'm an odd cat, mostly liberal.. BUT, I think taxes in this country are out of control! From the Income Tax to the 'fines & fees' taxes.. It's a fine crap pool of over taxing and misguided spending of such taxes. I have worked in the tax business.. I've seen the madness of 'tax codes', state ways to boost local govt revenue, etc. All a con and crock on a so-called free nation! It needs to end, and NOW! I am very much in favor of a fair tax system via sales taxes and wiser spending of taxpayer funds.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deestin1972 View Post
Well, I'm an odd cat, mostly liberal.. BUT, I think taxes in this country are out of control! From the Income Tax to the 'fines & fees' taxes.. It's a fine crap pool of over taxing and misguided spending of such taxes. I have worked in the tax business.. I've seen the madness of 'tax codes', state ways to boost local govt revenue, etc. All a con and crock on a so-called free nation! It needs to end, and NOW! I am very much in favor of a fair tax system via sales taxes and wiser spending of taxpayer funds.
This is the true "liberal" way to do it. Geolibertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM

139 posts, read 441,232 times
I believe that some taxation is necessary but the government has a moral obligation to spend it wisely. Also I believe that if you are a senior who has worked for at least 20 years there should be no taxation on some items and low taxation on others.

I work for the county assessor. The property taxation system is BRUTAL and I am embarrassed and ashamed to have to enforce taxation laws that are very unfair and rather corrupt. It is shameful to me how the government applies such harsh and unfair taxation laws.

We do need to pay some taxes but in most cases the system of taxation is unjust and brutal and way over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates