Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM

271 posts, read 393,971 times

Advertisements

White males are at a higher percentage when it comes to, death by suicide ,because they usually are less likely to belong in a gang, like other ethnicities who are more prone to organized crime behavior . So when their testosterone levels lead them to self destructive thoughts(raging male testosterone) they take it out on themselves in moments of anguish as where certain(not all mind you)minorities who may be involved with a criminal organization(gang) will use their male hormone exasperated aggression out on another opposing gang member. Both acts(suicide or murder) are committed in moments of rage. Whereas suicide rates for, women, are basically lower all across the board,since women have less of the aggressive testosterone ....Those minority males who do not belong in a gang and are more apt to being loners ,are more prone to suicide. Suicide is murder of the self...sorry if I offend, this is only my opinion ,and we know what they say those are like....peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
My own theory is this...blacks by a greater percentage have grown up in this country under more challenging circumstances. When you grow up hard, you develop a resiliency, and a different perspective. A lot of whites are soft. The majority (notice I didn't say all) grow up in the suburbs in middle class communities. Look around and tell me who are all the EMO kids? Mostly whites.

The majority of black women I know won't take any sh*t from anyone. While a lot of you may disagree wtih that, I'm speaking from my own personal experience. The majority of women who I've seen cry in the workplace in the last twenty years were usually white. Same with the men. The black women were more likely to tell someone where they can stuff it if you didn't talk to them right. They had more of a fight in them. And it's that fight that carries them through. That's what life is in many cases, a fight. Suicide is giving up.

Now before people start slamming me with all the psychological research data and arguments that many whites grow up poor too, let me just say, I'm speaking about the majority here, not the exceptions.

Now why black women have a lower rate than black men I can't speculate. But overall, I think anyone who comes up in this world with an additional set of challenges attached to them like poverty, discrimination, rough neighborhoods, and parents who didn't coddle them, will have a harder shell and be able to cope better with adversity. They have more of a fight in them than someone who came up soft under more ideal conditions. That applies to whites who grew up in harsher conditions as well. There are always exceptions.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They're not. Suicide is a function of a person's personality, which is entirely environment-determined. People who were raised with a particular religious or spiritual view, who then encounter lifetime experiences that are challenging, make the decision on the basis of those two factors to commit suicide. It has nothing to do with race.

Be careful not to assume a causality merely because two things both happen.
That is complete and total BS. Unbelievable.

I suppose clinical depression is entirely environment-determined as well?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Yeah, I really believe that's why suicide rates are high among white males.
Perhaps if I had included a smiley-face emoticon you would have understood.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
But what about the oppression of certain minorities. This has no effect on them?
It has. It makes them even stronger.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My own theory is this...blacks by a greater percentage have grown up in this country under more challenging circumstances. When you grow up hard, you develop a resiliency, and a different perspective. A lot of whites are soft. The majority (notice I didn't say all) grow up in the suburbs in middle class communities. Look around and tell me who are all the EMO kids? Mostly whites.

The majority of black women I know won't take any sh*t from anyone. While a lot of you may disagree wtih that, I'm speaking from my own personal experience. The majority of women who I've seen cry in the workplace in the last twenty years were usually white. Same with the men. The black women were more likely to tell someone where they can stuff it if you didn't talk to them right. They had more of a fight in them. And it's that fight that carries them through. That's what life is in many cases, a fight. Suicide is giving up.

Now before people start slamming me with all the psychological research data and arguments that many whites grow up poor too, let me just say, I'm speaking about the majority here, not the exceptions.

Now why black women have a lower rate than black men I can't speculate. But overall, I think anyone who comes up in this world with an additional set of challenges attached to them like poverty, discrimination, rough neighborhoods, and parents who didn't coddle them, will have a harder shell and be able to cope better with adversity. They have more of a fight in them than someone who came up soft under more ideal conditions. That applies to whites who grew up in harsher conditions as well. There are always exceptions.
Spot on. Nice job, Coolhand.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM

548 posts, read 1,251,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
White males are at a higher percentage when it comes to, death by suicide ,because they usually are less likely to belong in a gang, like other ethnicities who are more prone to organized crime behavior . So when their testosterone levels lead them to self destructive thoughts(raging male testosterone) they take it out on themselves in moments of anguish as where certain(not all mind you)minorities who may be involved with a criminal organization(gang) will use their male hormone exasperated aggression out on another opposing gang member. Both acts(suicide or murder) are committed in moments of rage. Whereas suicide rates for, women, are basically lower all across the board,since women have less of the aggressive testosterone ....Those minority males who do not belong in a gang and are more apt to being loners ,are more prone to suicide. Suicide is murder of the self...sorry if I offend, this is only my opinion ,and we know what they say those are like....peace
So there are NO whites associated with organized crime? come on now!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Perhaps if I had included a smiley-face emoticon you would have understood.
Yes, emoticons are a life saver. Use them often.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Yes, emoticons are a life saver. Use them often.
I only wish I could line the back bumper of my car with them, I love them so!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
It has. It makes them even stronger.
Really?

Is that why the population in prison of blacks is much higher , percentage wise, than their population in the US ?

Maybe whites have a higher suicide rate cuz in tough times they don't consider resorting to crime as a way out of their troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates