Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
what is racism?
Racism is bigotry or discrimination against a person, or persons, based on race.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Racism is bigotry or discrimination against a person, or persons, based on race.
Give me an example of this in black people. In other words, site real life examples and how it impacts whites.

The reason that I ask this is that a lot of white people assume that blacks are angry or racist. I cannot tell you, almost invariably, how white people assume that I am angry and do not like white people, simply from what I write. I can never leave a debate without being called a racist myself. What was my transgression you might ask? Well....all I did was note the history of racial oppression in this nation as it really happened, then I dared to link that to the black condition of today. For that.....I get labeled an angry hate filled racist (as well as a lot of other choice words)....lol. So I do not respect the veracity of your argument, because simply standing up for black people and the continued struggle for socioeconomic equality.....renders black folks racist in the eyes of whites. Of course you will ask....then why can't white people stand up for white people? The answer to that is that you are not trying to reach equality, but rather, preserve your status at the top, via maintaining the statusquo. We are figthing to be equal and you are fighting (whether by intent or effect) to preserve dominance.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-16-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Give me an example of this in black people. In other words, site real life examples and how it impacts whites.
#1, My car gets hit in a parking lot by a black guy. He would normally stop and admit his wrongdoing but he sees a white guy in the other vehicle and decides it deny responsiblity.

#2, There's a white cashier at a grocery store. He accidentally shortchanges a black customer. The black person realizes the error and accuses the white cashier of deliberately short-changing him.

#3, A white college student has been asked by a black college student to join his, the black student's, intramural basketball team. At the first practice it becomes evident that the team has only black members. The white guy is asked to leave the practice.

#4, A talented black person is considering applying for an entry-level position at an advertising agency. To his surprise he sees that the other applicants, and the company's personel, are almost all white. He decides not to apply.

I can go on and on if you like. I suppose you think that money is required tfor black-on-white racism to matter. Well of course that's not true.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 PM

#1, My car gets hit in a parking lot by a black guy. He would normally stop and admit his wrongdoing but he sees a white guy in the other vehicle and decides it deny responsiblity.

How did you determine what he would "Normally do"?

#2, There's a white cashier at a grocery store. He accidentally shortchanges a black customer. The black person realizes the error and accuses the white cashier of deliberately short-changing him.

Thats called "Insecurity" (racial). He likely thought she was racist and short changed him. We often hear whites talk about how uneducated blacks are and she could have thought (in his mind) he was too dumb to know how to count. We will also make a big deal out of taking a white persons order before ours....if we were there first. I have seen this often. If you want to see a black person go off.....let a black female, who has been waiting for service, have a white person who came after her get serviced or attention first. You will see fireworks. That is not prejudice. That is a reminder, in the eyes of blacks, if not a continuation, of white privelege and black second class citizenship. So some black people will go off.....especially a black female and its not due to her racism....but the perception of racism in the person who serviced the white person first whilst she was waiting first.

#3, A white college student has been asked by a black college student to join his, the black student's, intramural basketball team. At the first practice it becomes evident that the team has only black members. The white guy is asked to leave the practice.

That would be discrimination based upon the sterotype that white guys cannot jump.

#4, A talented black person is considering applying for an entry-level position at an advertising agency. To his surprise he sees that the other applicants, and the company's personel, are almost all white. He decides not to apply.

Again, that to me is an example of insecurity (racial). Often times if I go out to eat someplace and if I do not see any black people in the place....not eating, not cooking, not washing dishes......then I think the place is prejudice and I don't want to eat there. I actually think that they might do something to my food. If black people don't see other black people....we are conditioned to believe that it could be due to prejudice (if it is in a community where there are black people).

I can go on and on if you like. I suppose you think that money is required tfor black-on-white racism to matter. Well of course that's not true.

Those examples are nothing NEAR the impact of how white racism manifest against blacks. Actually, most of it is based upon, in my opinion, blacks thinking that whites are racist.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-16-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:

How did you determine what he would "Normally do"?

Thats called "Insecurity" (racial). He likely thought she was racist and short changed him.

That would be discrimination based upon the sterotype that white guys cannot jump.

Again, that to me is an example of insecurity (racial). Often times if I go out to eat someplace and I do not see any black people in the place....not eating, not cooking, not washing dishes......then I think the place is prejudice and I don't want to eat there. I actually think that they might do something to my food.

Those examples are nothing NEAR the impact of how white racism manifest against blacks.
These are examples of racism. If you were to give an example of a white skinhead shooting a black man, can I just say that the skinhead was taking target practice, and it wasn't racism. After all, that's what you are doing with my examples.

Anyway, if you want better racial harmoeny, you can't just look at one side of the equation. From the beginning I said that white-on-black racism was a bigger concern. I also said that doesn't mean we shouldn't address black-on-white racism. Remember my example of two diseases? One disease was more serious than the other, but both diseases should get attention.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
The article is a little offensive and I'm black, but America's demographics are surely changing and European majority cities are decreasing. In other words. Get used to it.
Yeah, and here's the result of africanization, whether you want to hear it or not, africanization = decline. Get used to hearing the facts.

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
The word was used frequently in the article.

Why do people think Italians are not white? I don't understand that.

Here's (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68178.htm - broken link) something for you.

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

Europeans are white. Italy is in Europe. Italians are white. It's not debatable; it's true.
This kind of definition of white is debatable. North Africa, white? Sounds like the blurb on EEOC questionaires, that I guess want to paint Egypt and the like as white.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
These are examples of racism. If you were to give an example of a white skinhead shooting a black man, can I just say that the skinhead was taking target practice, and it wasn't racism. After all, that's what you are doing with my examples.

Anyway, if you want better racial harmoeny, you can't just look at one side of the equation. From the beginning I said that white-on-black racism was a bigger concern. I also said that doesn't mean we shouldn't address black-on-white racism. Remember my example of two diseases? One disease was more serious than the other, but both diseases should get attention.
I updated my response. What you consider black racism, like I figured, is simply black insecurity about whether whites are being racist against them. Those are not good examples.....if that is the best you got....you certainly did not make the case for black racism. Those were examples of blacks being DEFENSIVE against the threat of white racism.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The word was used frequently in the article.

Why do people think Italians are not white? I don't understand that.

Here's (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68178.htm - broken link) something for you.

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

Europeans are white. Italy is in Europe. Italians are white. It's not debatable; it's true.
This kind of definition of white is debatable. North Africa, white? Sounds like the blurb on EEOC questionaires, that I guess want to paint Egypt and the like as white.

Unfortunately, until someone steps up to the plate and defines a genetic definition of "race" (or perhaps the word "breed" should be used), such definitions have somewhat weak boundaries.

And even is someone did define "white", "red", "yellow", "green" or whatever, who's to say that definition is valid.

Best one can do is admit folks are on a spectrum of traits and that definitons of race go back to a time when transportation and mobility were sufficiently limited that breeding populations in a place become similar in their trait clusters. Beyond that, certain cultural affectations seem to accompany some trait clusters, which seems logical since everything stems from the interaction of genetics with environment and some traits will tend to survive better in some environments.

With current mobility and cross mating, such dividing lines will of course blur.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This article (http://www.newgeography.com/content/00609-sushi-without-japanese-portlands-cultural-dilemma - broken link) irritates me. I'm not going to call it anti-white, but I'm going to call it "irritating". I don't understand what's wrong with living in a city that has a European American majority.

This is why I think multiculturalism and racial diversity is overrated.

A city doesn't have to have a non-white majority to be a good place to live.

To be honest, it's crap like the statements in that article that make me feel a little insignificant in America just because of my race (White/Caucasian). It makes me feel that I have no culture just because of my race. Every human being belongs to a culture regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Here's a quote from the article:

Advocating for the coloring of white neighborhoods seems extreme. But Portlanders do themselves a disservice by not at least discussing the potential consequences of living in a whitewashed city.

My question is: What the hell?

I know I make quite a few threads on race, but there are many things about it that just annoy me, such as the content of that article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*Please don't complain about me or my post. I've had enough of people doing that when I make threads. Just state your thoughts and opinions. That's all I ask*
Actually, perhaps nothing. Seems to me most indices of quality of life are better is said places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates