Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's a fascinating remark. is it appropriate to congratulate people because they are good-looking? Doesn't that beg the question on the other end -- that we should show disgust or sympathy to the ugly among us?

I'm pretty good-looking, but I'd be embarrassed if someone congratulated me on it. I'd prefer that they congratulate my parents.
They were two separate statements:

Congrats to Ms. Fakih! She is very beautiful.

If, after the governor's election in Michigan, I had said "Congrats to Ms. Granholm! She is very beautiful", would you interpret that to mean I was congratulating her on her beauty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They were two separate statements:

Congrats to Ms. Fakih! She is very beautiful.

If, after the governor's election in Michigan, I had said "Congrats to Ms. Granholm! She is very beautiful", would you interpret that to mean I was congratulating her on her beauty?
Frankly, I'd wonder about the juxtaposition of your largely unrelated exclamations. And what it is about her facial mole that you find so attractive...

Last edited by Yeledaf; 05-18-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Frankly, I'd wonder about the juxtaposition of your largely unrelated exclamations. And what it is about her facial mole that you find so attractive...
What's wrong with juxtaposing, say, "Roger Maris hit 61 home runs. He was from North Dakota."

There was a time in the first half of the 20th century, when facial moles were considered so attractive, that women wore fake ones. Marilyn Monroe had one.

One of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, in small town in Colombia, had a red strawberry birth mark covering about half her face. She was extremely well-dressed for business, apparently had a position of some influence, and carried herself with great poise and confidence. The facial mark did not detract at all from her beauty. Nor, obviously, from her self-image, as she made no attempt to conceal it.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-18-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with juxtaposing, say, "Roger Maris hit 61 home runs. He was from North Dakota."

There was a time in the first half of the 20th century, when facial moles were considered so attractive, that women wore fake ones. Marilyn Monroe had one.

One of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, in small town in Colombia, had a red strawberry birth mark covering about half her face. She was extremely well-dressed for business, apparently had a position of some influence, and carried herself with great poise and confidence. The facial mark did not detract at all from her beauty. Nor, obviously, from her self-image, as she made no attempt to conceal it.
John Candy would not share your views...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0awf...eature=related

But I'm cool with all of that unrelated exposition -- and relieved that you did not remark on Mr. Maris' beauty.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Uncle Buck is one of my heroes. I wish Uncle Buck was president of the United States.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Uncle Buck is one of my heroes. I wish Uncle Buck was president of the United States.
{whisper} He's makin' garbage for breakfast!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
This was just a bad idea all around for them to nominate her as Miss USA.

Trips on gown, not born US citizen, takes pics on a stripper pole, got money from Hezbollah.

C'mon now! Really?!?!

Politically correct has never been a good idea ever, and it's really getting to the point where you can't even call something patently WRONG without someone claiming you're offending them OR being told you're a racist.

OK SO WHAT YOU'RE OFFENDED. THIS CHICK NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN MISS. USA!

EXCLUSIVE: Meet Miss USA Contestant’s Hezbollah “Martyr” Family

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
to think someone shouldn't be miss "usa" because they were not born in the usa is pretty lame. it is a freakin' beauty contest. big deal, it is about
T & A and nothing more. if she wants to take the best of both her religions and apply them to life, religious freedom is what america is about. if she said she was an atheist would that be better? can she walk and chew gum at the same time is about the only thing that is important in the beauty contest business

Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
to think someone shouldn't be miss "usa" because they were not born in the usa is pretty lame. it is a freakin' beauty contest. big deal, it is about
T & A and nothing more. if she wants to take the best of both her religions and apply them to life, religious freedom is what america is about. if she said she was an atheist would that be better? can she walk and chew gum at the same time is about the only thing that is important in the beauty contest business
I don't care about her religion.

Hezbollah is payin for her gowns for chrissake! And Hezbollah is a KNOWN terrorist group.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't care about her religion.

Hezbollah is payin for her gowns for chrissake! And Hezbollah is a KNOWN terrorist group.
do you have proof that hezbollah is paying for her gowns?
again it is a stupid beauty contest, just because the title has the words usa in it, doesn't mean squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates