Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah...its better to be homicidal than suicidal. Homicidal can take out an infinit number of innocent people...suicidal can only take out one. By the way...how is that ALMOST ALL BLACK HIGH SCHOOL thingy/lie working out for yah? And now you expect people to take your comments seriously. You have no shame or dignity. Just bow out dude.
Let's talk about homicide:
Quote:
The murder rate among black teenagers has climbed since 2000 even as murders by young whites have scarcely grown or declined in some places, according to a new report.
Quote:
The main racial difference involves juveniles ages 14 to 17. In 2000, 539 white and 851 black juveniles committed murder, according to an analysis of federal data by the authors. In 2007, the number for whites, 547, had barely changed, while that for blacks was 1,142, up 34 percent.
NYT

If you took the time to actually hear what I have been saying, you would see that I am not who you think I am.

If a disheveled white guy was walking down the street on one side, and a disheveled black man was on the other, I would choose (and have chosen many times) to walk on the side the black man is walking on. It's well known that blacks don't usually commit violent crimes against whites and whites will commit violent crimes against anybody, no matter what color.

I went to my black mother-in-law's funeral alone with my daughter when she was 2. It was in Detroit. We did not see one single white person in the three days we were there. We stayed with an aunt and uncle-in-law and saw cousins, aunts and uncles, all black. Not for a moment did I feel unsafe or unloved.

My brother-in-law was murdered in the streets of Detroit. My ex-husband was nearly gunned down. Both were years apart, but both were shot by other black men.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Dukes View Post
Yes absolutely. My escape routes typically were books. I know without a doubt that my books provoked my mind to reaching greater intellectual heights and stretched my imagination. I have actually reached an idea for a non-fiction, self-help book using this information. The idea would be to help people who are inclined to escape their situation face it and overcome it. For example, if your escape is reading books, you might want to consider some creative outlet like writing books, because you cannot read many books without getting creative ideas. If you spend a lot of time doing something, you are bound to be capable in the field.

In school, I found that I did best with essays, because my vocabulary and ability to articulate- which I developed from reading- were very significant.
Thats good to hear. I read a story about this homeless girl in california. She and her family moved from shelter to shelter over the years. She escaped through books. She has now been accepted at Harvard. She is an African American young lady...as well.

I truly believe that acclimating to a bad environment helps to trap you in it. I could never acclimate to my environment and that is how I made it out. In truth, I was not strong enough to acclimate and deal with it. Had I been.....I would still be there.

Big ups to you. Nuff respect I hope you find success in your future....which I am sure you will.

PS....the other people do not want to talk to you.....you make them look bad because your are intelligent and you look at things objectively. They just want to argue.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Although obviously with the labor condition there are similar circumstances to African American slaves, the differences are significant. The Irish developed a literal escape route- political activism- to combat their treatment. That translates to a mentality which leads you to believe you can overcome. The African American slave society developed mental escape routes. They used song and dance. I believe this is why you now see African Americans who really enjoy music, and who are very talented dancers. But that is beside the point. The point is their escape route sparked a mentality of subconsciously retreating into music and religion to 'wait out' their problems.

When the slaves became free, that didn't translate to immediate success because people didn't normally make a lot of money dancing or making music.

But the Irish were able to be skilled workers. And they were able to protect their interest with unions. The attitude of 'waiting out their problems' never existed for them. It was an attitude of 'when things go bad, I can change them.'

It is important that this does not become an excuse. I do not intend it to be. I merely intended it to be considered as a reason things are the way they are. It doesn't mean that people do have some responsibility or blame for what they do in life.
I appreciate your response, and you make great points. I simply really do not want race to be an excuse. I grew up in a primarily white area where race was never discussed. I didn't realize race was even an issue until I moved to a city where blacks who lived near me spoke of racism. I grew up thinking racism was as relevant to day to day life as cannibalism, or witchcraft. I thought it was just something terrible that happened in the past. I am only 24 years old and I grew up thinking different color skin is as big of a deal as different eye colors....

I know that affects how I speak in debates such as this, however if there wasn't a cry of racism amongst blacks around me, I still wouldn't think racism was anything more than something terrible from America's past.

I was waiting in line for a ticket not too long ago, and have been waiting for 40 minutes. A lady tried to cut in line in front of me and I told her to get to the end of the line. I told her everyone had been waiting for 40 minutes and she can't just cut in line. She started chewing me out, claiming I was a racism because I said that to her (she was black). I didn't care what color her skin was! I just didn't want someone to cut in the line! That is the attitude I don't like amongst minorities. In a situation such as that, racism shouldn't have even entered her mind. Does it make sense why that attitude frustrates me?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Well...I guess ignorance is morally superior to a lie. I apologize for calling you a liar then. I just gave you the benefit of the doubt of being smart and of knowlege...so I thought you were lying...but it just appears that you don't know much about what you are talking...before you talk it.
What a bas*ard you are. Just keep wallowing. Your ignorance will catch up with you in your children.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM

17 posts, read 18,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I appreciate your response, and you make great points. I simply really do not want race to be an excuse. I grew up in a primarily white area where race was never discussed. I didn't realize race was even an issue until I moved to a city where blacks who lived near me spoke of racism. I grew up thinking racism was as relevant to day to day life as cannibalism, or witchcraft. I thought it was just something terrible that happened in the past. I am only 24 years old and I grew up thinking different color skin is as big of a deal as different eye colors....

I know that affects how I speak in debates such as this, however if there wasn't a cry of racism amongst blacks around me, I still wouldn't think racism was anything more than something terrible from America's past.

I was waiting in line for a ticket not too long ago, and have been waiting for 40 minutes. A lady tried to cut in line in front of me and I told her to get to the end of the line. I told her everyone had been waiting for 40 minutes and she can't just cut in line. She started chewing me out, claiming I was a racism because I said that to her (she was black). I didn't care what color her skin was! I just didn't want someone to cut in the line! That is the attitude I don't like amongst minorities. In a situation such as that, racism shouldn't have even entered her mind. Does it make sense why that attitude frustrates me?

Yes it makes sense. I completely understand where you are coming from. I believe that should cease. Although racism goes on today, I believe that it does not go addressed as much as it would were some African Americans not to diminish the race's credibility by crying wolf.

For one thing, it makes people discriminate more. For another, it is reverse discrimination.

At some point I believe black people must take a stand and say 'Our past has brought us to where we are now. It has presented obstacles which we now have to overcome. But we will not be defined by our history as slaves. We will no longer use that as an excuse for where we are in life. We will write a new history. Our story will be a story of people who overcame the shackles of the past, and created a new, bright future for their children.'

Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The problem is that you extrapolate your experiences and beliefs to be a microcosm of 300 + million Americans. How would your experiences negate that of others of others? Just because you might like tooty fruity ice cream you cannot superimpose to the belief that everyone is enamored with tooty fruity. You don’t know what the experience of black people have been with the white people they have come into contact with. Just because YOU did nothing to them does not mean that other whites have done nothing to them. How can you have such strong repudiatation of their attitudes when you don’t have a CLUE about their personal experiences? Its like you are vouching for the credibility of every other white person in this nation that they have come in contact with….when you have not even meet .0001 percent of them to know that they can be vouched for.

In regards to the women cutting line, do you have all the facts? She may have cut in line….but sometimes you have people hold your place…..I do. Sometimes a group will come…short one member and when the member gets there they get in line. It’s like when you go to a movie and you get their first before someone else who is to meet you there….you save them a seat. You put your coat in the seat or something. I see this type of behavior all the time and I don’t trip about it. You tripping about it, if any of those scenarios was the case, seemed racist to her because among blacks that type of behavior is accepted because a lot of us will do the same thing. So there may have been a clash of cultures going on.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Let's talk about homicide:NYT

If you took the time to actually hear what I have been saying, you would see that I am not who you think I am.

If a disheveled white guy was walking down the street on one side, and a disheveled black man was on the other, I would choose (and have chosen many times) to walk on the side the black man is walking on. It's well known that blacks don't usually commit violent crimes against whites and whites will commit violent crimes against anybody, no matter what color.

I went to my black mother-in-law's funeral alone with my daughter when she was 2. It was in Detroit. We did not see one single white person in the three days we were there. We stayed with an aunt and uncle-in-law and saw cousins, aunts and uncles, all black. Not for a moment did I feel unsafe or unloved.

My brother-in-law was murdered in the streets of Detroit. My ex-husband was nearly gunned down. Both were years apart, but both were shot by other black men.
You're right.

The problem is not black against white crime. That's why I really have fears at all living in a black area of the city.

The problem is black against black crime.

And yet again, we see that the biggest enemy of blacks in America is blacks themselves.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Its a HUMAN response to a HUMAN created situation. There is nothing ABNORMAL about blacks reaction to 300 years of oppression. Its a HUMAN reaction...not a black reaction.
No, it's a black reaction. Everybody else would have moved on by now.
Quote:
More racism.....blacks behavior is not part of the template of HUMAN NORMAL BEHAVIOR. Gotcha....more Omaha Almost All Black High School racist BS.
Grow up. When you can't defend what you say, you either call us liars, or you play with a mis-spoken statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Why don't the Jews, who in many ways have had it FAR WORSE than blacks, continue with this same cultural mindset?

Did you have almost every member of your family incinerated 60 years ago?
Quote:
Jews had a homeland created for them and recieve billions each year from foreign governments, such as ours. They also support each other. They will go out their way to support a Jewish business. They have Jewish Schools...they teach their Jewish history....they NEVER let others forget the holocaust....they stick together and lobby for what they want and they don't reside in the lands of their oppressors.
The ONLY Jews I have ever heard to speak intimately about the holocaust are those who LIVED it. Next generation has risen above the pain and gotten on with business. You don't see Jewish people sitting in slums crying in their beer. AND THE HOLOCAUST WASN'T AS FAR BACK IN HISTORY AS SLAVERY WAS.
Quote:
You didn't respond to the content, you ignored what I said completely and threw out a challenge that could have been a response to any post on this thread.

You want my honest opinion?

People holding the kind of beliefs that you do is the cause of whatever racial tension is left in America. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as you are having me look things up, please look up that term. Again: Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
The problem is that you extrapolate your experiences and beliefs to be a microcosm of 300 + million Americans. How would your experiences negate that of others of others? Just because you might like tooty fruity ice cream you cannot superimpose to the belief that everyone is enamored with tooty fruity. You don’t know what the experience of black people have been with the white people they have come into contact with. Just because YOU did nothing to them does not mean that other whites have done nothing to them. How can you have such strong repudiatation of their attitudes when you don’t have a CLUE about their personal experiences? Its like you are vouching for the credibility of every other white person in this nation that they have come in contact with….when you have not even meet .0001 percent of them to know that they can be vouched for.
And you are not doing the same thing? You assume racism is this rampant issue when in reality you are one of the few people who sees it as a problem. The fact that you stand alone in your views on this board should tell you that.

Quote:
In regards to the women cutting line, do you have all the facts? She may have cut in line….but sometimes you have people hold your place…..I do. Sometimes a group will come…short one member and when the member gets there they get in line. It’s like when you go to a movie and you get their first before someone else who is to meet you there….you save them a seat. You put your coat in the seat or something. I see this type of behavior all the time and I don’t trip about it. You tripping about it, if any of those scenarios was the case, seemed racist to her because among blacks that type of behavior is accepted because a lot of us will do the same thing. So there may have been a clash of cultures going on.
Are you serious?

You can't even admit that this woman was using race as an excuse? I was the FIRST person in line when she cut. She walked up to the counter, told me "I just need to get one thing" and started to talk to the girl at the counter. I told her we ALL just want to get one thing and told her to get to the end of the line. That is when I was suddenly a racist. That is not culture clash. That is a women who was too lazy to wait for 40 minutes being rude to a line of people. That behavior is not acceptable amongst ANY group. By the way, the girl selling tickets (who happened to be black as well) ended up telling the lady to go to the back of the line. SHE wasn't called a racist, even though she said the exact same thing I did.

Can you at least admit the women in my experience was using racism as an excuse for poor behavior? Or are you too stubborn to even admit that?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yes it makes sense. I completely understand where you are coming from. I believe that should cease. Although racism goes on today, I believe that it does not go addressed as much as it would were some African Americans not to diminish the race's credibility by crying wolf.

For one thing, it makes people discriminate more. For another, it is reverse discrimination.

At some point I believe black people must take a stand and say 'Our past has brought us to where we are now. It has presented obstacles which we now have to overcome. But we will not be defined by our history as slaves. We will no longer use that as an excuse for where we are in life. We will write a new history. Our story will be a story of people who overcame the shackles of the past, and created a new, bright future for their children.'
Forty years ago a lot of people who were gay never let it be known because it was socially reprehensible. They married and carried on normal looking lives. They had children and did manly things....yet...they secretly met, often times, with other gay people.

Even today when a person is arrested for child molesting or committing a crime....you almost always hear people lament how they thought the person was such a nice person or how they could not believe that the person did such a thing.

Whats my point? My point is that one cannot judge whats going on simply by the way things appear to be. Things are not the way they always appear. People hide socially ostracized behavior and beliefs. Racism is a socially ostracized belief and behavior.

Forty years ago when homosexual were in the closet, racist were out the closet. Homosexuality was deeply frowned upon while racism was accepted. Today, the two group have changed positions in and out the closet. Its really sad to see and hear so much Naivety. The lack of Wisdom is and experience with life is the handicap of the younger mind. That ignorance, in itself, breeds more racism because the people who just don't understand will turn to racist....and not learn the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates