Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Hey there Viking85 from Norway! Yeah, I get there are some potential bargains on the internet. I am mainly referencing the US goods and I want to put my hands on the merchandise I buy before I buy, so not that buying on the internet is a bad thing, it just is not what I meant when I posted the thread. Welcome your comments though. Maybe I will be forced to do more shopping on the internet so I can better afford the higher quality goods and risk the likes and dislikes of what I receive. Thanks for your post!
Well you can certainly find some good deals in person too, I know I have, both stateside and here in Norway, what I meant was merely that the decent quality stuff often drowns in a sea of cheap and poor quality things, as such they can be harder to find, both online and in a store.

What the internet often is though, if you prefer buying in stores, is a great source of information on what's the better product or not. It's often the fast track way to find the "hidden gems" of our consumer world.

But looking at what chef knives they offered at, for instance WalMart, was depressing. Bad example, I know. But if people compare the junk they had there (even the most expensive knives they had on sale), to any decent level knife, they're not only making a poor comparison, but they're buying the wrong products at the wrong place.

I might've paid $900 or so for one of my chef knives, but what kind of price is that when I know it'll last me a lifetime, and probably my kids' too.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Any car made today would last that long. I don't even buy a car until it has over 100K on it, sometimes 150K, from unknown and probably abusive owners. When my car hits 240K, I start calling it my "Moon Car" and I've had several of those. The last car I bought new became a moon car, and I only gave it up because I was moving out of the country, and my stepdaughter was still driving it six years later.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well you can certainly find some good deals in person too, I know I have, both stateside and here in Norway, what I meant was merely that the decent quality stuff often drowns in a sea of cheap and poor quality things, as such they can be harder to find, both online and in a store.

What the internet often is though, if you prefer buying in stores, is a great source of information on what's the better product or not. It's often the fast track way to find the "hidden gems" of our consumer world.

But looking at what chef knives they offered at, for instance WalMart, was depressing. Bad example, I know. But if people compare the junk they had there (even the most expensive knives they had on sale), to any decent level knife, they're not only making a poor comparison, but they're buying the wrong products at the wrong place.

I might've paid $900 or so for one of my chef knives, but what kind of price is that when I know it'll last me a lifetime, and probably my kids' too.
Well, Walmart is ... Cheaper stuff, imo. I don't buy my appliances, tv's, kitchenwares, or clothes, etc from walmart. That being said, I can see why you would have received low quality products posing as Chef knives. I still applaud your opposition to my thread in that I could find gems in both stores and internet if I search. I simply haven't had much luck finding them...maybe I need new glasses in my old age.LOL I don't think I would pay $900 for my knives either though. OUCH! I couldn't afford that one.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Quote:
Well, Walmart is ... Cheaper stuff, imo. I don't buy my appliances, tv's, kitchenwares, or clothes, etc from walmart. That being said, I can see why you would have received low quality products posing as Chef knives. I still applaud your opposition to my thread in that I could find gems in both stores and internet if I search. I simply haven't had much luck finding them...maybe I need new glasses in my old age.LOL I don't think I would pay $900 for my knives either though. OUCH! I couldn't afford that one.
Well, I'm passionately interested in my blades, owning 4-5 outdoors/hunting knives all well above the $400 mark as well (plus a few $100-200 pocket knives).

Point is that if you look, you can find very good knives for $70-120, that'll last you at least 20 years if you treat them right (use grinding stones instead of electric sharpeners etc), going to the $900 mark isn't needed, but it was an example that old school craftsmanship is still attainable, and I know that knife will outlast me.

I've found high quality coffee makers, furniture and tools, that's in the average/average+ cost segment that'll all outlast the cheap and not very
user friendly stuff you find elsewhere.

And best of all is obviously to go to a store and find out what product you want, then find the best deal on it online and have it shipped to you. (If it's a merchandise in a category that'll generally have a big mark up in stores, which often goes for brand names etc.)

I really think you generally get better quality now (apart from things tat doesn't need to last very long), you just have more to choose from than you did back in the day, which can be exhausting and confusing to some.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,115 times
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed this? I don't care WHAT you buy nowadays, it is cheaply made. We are suppose to be improving things with technology, yet nothing lasts. I still have appliances my grandmother owned and they work perfectly fine. Buy something new today and if it lasts 5 years you are lucky. What's up with that? Are we cutting corners to save on the building or is it JUST the out-sourcing to other counties? and if that is the case, then what about vehicles made in the USA that have had their own issues.

Where is the integrity in what we purchase nowadays?
I don't know, I have a 1946 .22 rifle that after about 40 rounds, the bolt is so hot and expands to the point of almost seizing up, but my 4 year old glock fires fine after 200 rounds...

My 05 trailblazer is over 100k miles with less than $300.00 in repairs, can't say the same for a 1955 chevy truck.

Some of us are capable of repairing home appliances, and they still last forever. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would repair your drier if it quit, or just buy another, because of time constraints, etc.?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I don't know, I have a 1946 .22 rifle that after about 40 rounds, the bolt is so hot and expands to the point of almost seizing up, but my 4 year old glock fires fine after 200 rounds...

My 05 trailblazer is over 100k miles with less than $300.00 in repairs, can't say the same for a 1955 chevy truck.

Some of us are capable of repairing home appliances, and they still last forever. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would repair your drier if it quit, or just buy another, because of time constraints, etc.?
Funny you use the dryer as you sample question, I did answer that question in a previous post JB. Please, reread them. I use to repair my grandmother's dryer until I could no longer buy parts for it, and I also stated that I do not know how to fix today's appliances. I certainly would if I could. I am a woman and I'm pretty proud of the fact I do all that I can on my own.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Have you sat in a car from the 1960's?

If a car hit 100,000 miles, it was spent, done, no good. And uncomfortable to say the least. God help you if you want to drive over 100 miles a day.
My '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 had 109,000 miles when I took ownership. I drove it many years and many miles. Same thing with my brother's '66 Plymouth Fury.
And my Mom's '70 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

As for seat comfort, it depends on the car. The seats on my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP 383 are VERY plush and comfortable. Just like a living room couch; makes the seats on most modern cars look like a joke! A long trip with seats like these would be easy. See photo:

Quote:
As much as people see cars as being made of cheaper material, they are still far better made today.
Highly unlikely. We'll see when modern cars are 30 or 40 years old.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:18 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed this? I don't care WHAT you buy nowadays, it is cheaply made. We are suppose to be improving things with technology, yet nothing lasts. I still have appliances my grandmother owned and they work perfectly fine. Buy something new today and if it lasts 5 years you are lucky. What's up with that? Are we cutting corners to save on the building or is it JUST the out-sourcing to other counties? and if that is the case, then what about vehicles made in the USA that have had their own issues.

Where is the integrity in what we purchase nowadays?
Products do seem to have been made better years ago.
My refrigerator is from 1984; the dryer from 1980.

A freezer lasted from 1959 to 1991! I have a Sears Silvertone radio from the early 1960s which still works.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Guns are funny though, in that outside of .22's there's less of a market for cheap pieces of junk than for quality.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 had 109,000 miles when I took ownership. I drove it many years and many miles. Same thing with my brother's '66 Plymouth Fury.
And my Mom's '70 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

As for seat comfort, it depends on the car. The seats on my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP 383 are VERY plush and comfortable. Just like a living room couch; makes the seats on most modern cars look like a joke! A long trip with seats like these would be easy. See photo:

Highly unlikely. We'll see when modern cars are 30 or 40 years old.
IMHO: I also think cars are generally better today. A car from the 60's was a rust bucket after 5-10 yrs unless meticulously maintained and garage kept. The biggest improvements are fuel injection, computer controls and rust inhibition/proofing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates