Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,277 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed this? I don't care WHAT you buy nowadays, it is cheaply made. We are suppose to be improving things with technology, yet nothing lasts. I still have appliances my grandmother owned and they work perfectly fine. Buy something new today and if it lasts 5 years you are lucky. What's up with that? Are we cutting corners to save on the building or is it JUST the out-sourcing to other counties? and if that is the case, then what about vehicles made in the USA that have had their own issues.

Where is the integrity in what we purchase nowadays?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? I don't care WHAT you buy nowadays, it is cheaply made. We are suppose to be improving things with technology, yet nothing lasts. I still have appliances my grandmother owned and they work perfectly fine. Buy something new today and if it lasts 5 years you are lucky. What's up with that? Are we cutting corners to save on the building or is it JUST the out-sourcing to other counties? and if that is the case, then what about vehicles made in the USA that have had their own issues.

Where is the integrity in what we purchase nowadays?
For a lot of things, the option is still there to get a really well made product. The catch is, it's gonna cost you.
People are short sighted. Wyh buy something that's very expensive when you can have a similar shoddy version for a fraction of the cost? In the long run, buying quality always wins, but people generally don't think long term.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Have you sat in a car from the 1960's?

If a car hit 100,000 miles, it was spent, done, no good. And uncomfortable to say the least. God help you if you want to drive over 100 miles a day.

As much as people see cars as being made of cheaper material, they are still far better made today.

TV's, come on, do you really want to go back to the old rabbit ear black and white screens that had to have tubes replaced twice a year?

Things are far and away made better, with less material, cheaper, and quicker than ever before.

We have this vague idea that everything used to be hunky dory, but honestly, we've got it much better today.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
For a lot of things, the option is still there to get a really well made product. The catch is, it's gonna cost you.
People are short sighted. Wyh buy something that's very expensive when you can have a similar shoddy version for a fraction of the cost? In the long run, buying quality always wins, but people generally don't think long term.
Maybe that is true. Maybe it's just that you have to Step UP in product line. Why I say that, some of the "same" name brands that I was referring to from yesteryear that belonged to my grandmother, I have purchased the same brand thinking it should be of the same quality. NOT! Maybe I need to step UP to a more expensive line to get a higher quality and maybe it will last longer. But why should the same brand name be cheaper made. That is a loss isn't it? You know, my grandmother's dryer was built such that "I" could repair it myself, and I DID! Today, I haven't a clue how to repair anything. LOL

Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Have you sat in a car from the 1960's?

If a car hit 100,000 miles, it was spent, done, no good.
I don't think the mileage people get out of cars now is better than it was then, but can't say for sure.

Quote:
And uncomfortable to say the least.
Not relevant to the topic.

Quote:
TV's, come on, do you really want to go back to the old rabbit ear black and white screens that had to have tubes replaced twice a year?
...and would last you 15-20+ yrs. Good luck having a TV last that long now. PS we had a "tube" TV and didn't have tubes replaced twice a year, either.

Quote:
Things are far and away made better, with less material, cheaper, and quicker than ever before.
Depends what we're talking about, but I'll buy the quicker and cheaper part, generally.

I think booze is still made very well

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I don't think the mileage people get out of cars now is better than it was then, but can't say for sure.

Not relevant to the topic.

...and would last you 15-20+ yrs. Good luck having a TV last that long now. PS we had a "tube" TV and didn't have tubes replaced twice a year, either.

Depends what we're talking about, but I'll buy the quicker and cheaper part, generally.

I think booze is still made very well
Actually, Booze was something that actually used to be made much better.

Cars, on average, get closer to 200,000 miles today.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

And yeah, older TV's had to have tubes replaced all the time, as hard as that is to believe. Actually, I have a TV thats over 20 years old now. Its a 27" magnavox, that my dad bought back in 1987. First color TV the family had, and was cable ready, ohhhhhh.

And I'll say this, as far as production methods, the 80's sucked.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
You have to pay for quality. There's lots of cheaply made items that cost less. Furniture is a really good example. You can get partical board laminate coffee tables at IKEA for $100 or you can get a solid hardwood top quality table for $500-2000. The quality one cost several times more and will last your whole life. The IKEA table will last 5 years if you are lucky. In the long run if you have the cash get the quality table and it will be cheaper over time.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually, Booze was something that actually used to be made much better.
I'd say that's a toss up and depends largely on what you're talking about (I was mostly kidding).

Quote:
Cars, on average, get closer to 200,000 miles today.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
? You're getting that where? Your link doesn't back it.

Quote:
And yeah, older TV's had to have tubes replaced all the time, as hard as that is to believe.
"Older TVs" is rather vague; depends on the year and the make. Our 60s vintage color TV didn't. And even if they did, the point remains that they lasted a lot longer, backing the OP's point. I also find this "throwaway electronics" thing rather bizarre.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
I have a Japanese chefs knife that's been hand made by a 78 year old knife maker. It was slightly delayed because he got sick for a couple of weeks, and no one else knows how to do his job.

It's pretty much as good of a knife you can get and it costs in the region of $900.

You can buy quality, but it'll be prised comparatively to what you get.

That said though, I agree with what Memphis1979 said, overall things are made far better and far cheaper today than before, the difference is that the market is swamped with cheaper "replicas" and alternatives as well, and some products, as well as some new products simply aren't made to last forever for different reasons. (A mobile phone for example, doesn't need to last more than 2-4 years as most people want/have bought a newer model at that point)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I'd say that's a toss up and depends largely on what you're talking about (I was mostly kidding).

? You're getting that where? Your link doesn't back it.

"Older TVs" is rather vague; depends on the year and the make. Our 60s vintage color TV didn't. And even if they did, the point remains that they lasted a lot longer, backing the OP's point. I also find this "throwaway electronics" thing rather bizarre.
I know 20 years ago I could buy an electric coffee pot that lasted 10 years no prob. Today, the average coffee pot under $100 lasts MAYBE a year and then it starts leaking, rusting out at the hot plate or just stops working.

Now I know this is a lame example, but I decided to start buying the cheaper ones so when it died in a year I felt like I wasn't wasting so much money. Hence, disposable appliance. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.