Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
These are the 200MPH trains?
No. But do you know why they're not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
I would venture to say the rails and rail beds aren't capable of high speed trains, too many crossings???

In cold hard dollars the ROI can't be justified?

States have budget shortfalls and can't come up with the matching money?

What?

Last edited by plwhit; 02-17-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Gotta come down on the side of Tightwad on this subject. Speaking from ignorance only shows how little you know.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see rail travel come back.

I am a card carrying member of the Train Collectors Association...

It's just I think there are other more pressing issues right now than high speed rail....

That plus the fact I get real skeptical every time I see a FUD phrase

Quote:
But the crunch is coming
Can you tell me what this means?

Quote:
By 2040, there will be 100 million more Americans and those folks will concentrate where people live today.
With a major population shift from northern states to the south how do they know where people will be living in 30 years??????

This article sounds like more of the same from the same bunch who preached the global warming scam.....

Quote:
Rail is part of the future. It's green. It's high tech. It can be built by Americans in America. And it's inevitable.
I like the way when it comes to the green movement everything "is inevitable"

And "built in America" when we can buy proven technology overseas for less then what it will take for America to design and build their own high speed trains. OH, and of course the factories will have to be built which means at least 10 years before the EPA would approve any factory sites.....

Take a look at other-than-green-website and see what they say about high speed rail in America:

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2011...gh-speed-rail/

Go back and review obama's speech where he brings up high speed rail..... the reason he wants it? to keep up with the Chinese...

And the BS that rail is green?

Last edited by plwhit; 02-17-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
I've lived in Japan where rail use is common. In fact I used them everyday. And there is no way that system will work in America. While individual states may have regions rail use is practical, there's no point is spending federal funds on it.

The drive to "make us more like Europe" is pathetic.

How about a drive to make us not in debt? I know, I know, a $80 billion dollar rail will return millions in fares, and using government math that's a profit.

If there's a concern about an extra 100 million people, lets work towards reducing that number.

If the concern is being green, how about we halt the crime wave and encourage people to live in city cores? Low cost housing without frequent rapes and murders? Now that is a progressive idea. Then simple commuter rail and buses can be used.

But this high speed rail is so cool and we gotta have it to prove to the world we are so hip idea is pathetic.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Like it or not America is going to have to built new passenger rails or get left behind. And......we are going to have to pay for it!

"I interviewed William Withuhn, Curator of the history of technology and transportation at the Smithsonian Institution. He said: "America doesn't get rail transportation. The politicians don't understand trains because most have never ridden one. The press is all caught up in Amtrak not making a profit as if that's somehow remarkable. Roads and airports don't make money either. In the 1960s, we had same inane arguments. Critics saying: rail is not like other transportation systems, America is too big and not like other countries. People won't ride trains here...In the meantime, other countries--lots of them now--have moved ahead and built these sleek, efficient and awesome machines. They get rail, but we don't"

Vision: Rail Renaissance -- We May Be About to Take a Huge Step Toward Reviving Train Travel | Environment | AlterNet
I have no problem with it as long as they are priavte rail and pay their way. Otherwise the funding availabilty just isn't there for such a massive infrastruture new build.Likely the most funding will go to maintain transport rail becuase it makes more sense.Even commuter rial is i trouble fiancially i mnay araes altho industry and cities suuport it to bring work to city to maintain industry there.Rail i america died witht eh airplane for transportig humans and is a losing propostion bascially.The rial system i other countirees where decided on long ago just liike our hghway system we have.We don't even spend all the money collect on fuel atcx o out highways system really.

Last edited by texdav; 02-17-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM

229 posts, read 439,759 times
I'm ready for rail to make a resurgence. Even if it isn't 200 mph trains, it's a good idea. Yes, I would travel cross-country or across the state if the option were available and somewhat convenient.

What is all the complaining about people wanting us to be like Europe about? A weak Federal arm and strong States rights is just like Europe, and I hear that idea thrown into conversation frequently.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I've lived in Japan where rail use is common. In fact I used them everyday. And there is no way that system will work in America. While individual states may have regions rail use is practical, there's no point is spending federal funds on it.

The drive to "make us more like Europe" is pathetic.

How about a drive to make us not in debt? I know, I know, a $80 billion dollar rail will return millions in fares, and using government math that's a profit.

If there's a concern about an extra 100 million people, lets work towards reducing that number.

If the concern is being green, how about we halt the crime wave and encourage people to live in city cores? Low cost housing without frequent rapes and murders? Now that is a progressive idea. Then simple commuter rail and buses can be used.

But this high speed rail is so cool and we gotta have it to prove to the world we are so hip idea is pathetic.
I guess you haven't been to the Northeast , but we are pushing 18,000 miles of restored Railway Urban And Regional Rail by 2050..... Our rail system is about connecting cities and Towns , and servicing dense corridors.....this isn't like the Midwest or south its pretty dense here or our towns are dense....

Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,803 times
I'm all for Railroads but ultimately its about the money, companies have to turn a profit if the Railroads are going to make a come back! We need more railroads for freight transport to keep these ever increasing semi trucks off the Interstates its getting worse by the day and dangerous as well!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,092 times
The new florida governor is crazy. The first HSR lines we should build are LA to San Fran and Tampa to Orlando to Miami. These are 2 of our biggest states and they are both struggling mightily right now. This would prop them up and set them on a course for 21st century success. Once these lines were proven successful HSR would spread throughout the country. Its sad when a governor makes a decision based on his personal political situation rather than what is best for the state

Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And in the meantime our newly elected governor (I'm proud to say I did not vote for him) has announced he's not in favor of taking the federal money that has been offered for the first phase of a high speed rail system that will, eventually, extend from Chicago to Omaha.

Rail isn't only thing this idiot doesn't understand.
Maybe the "idiot" understands the cost per passenger mile better than some of the "idiots" posting here do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living